Grounds : beautiful manicured gardens, different coloured comfy loungers and hammocks, lovely pools, and a delightful beach front dining area for lunch ( 246 ) that is magical at night.
Hotel : easy on the eye, Mediterranean style – big enough to offer various facilities, but not too big – just right for the At Home feel. Good, air conditioned gym with modern Cybex equipment, towels, cold water and TV. Air conditioned computer room with many desks. Free Wifi is everywhere that you do not even need to log into. Two bars for cocktails etc, both by pools. A delightful inner, adult only quiet small pool area with waterfall.
Rooms: Our beach front room 219 was fabulous with such views ! Queen sized bed, 2 basins in bathroom, efficient shower, masses of fluffy towels. Large flat screen TV with BBC World etc. Of course easy access WIFI. An airer on the balcony for drying swim suits etc You get a bottle of water each night. Efficient, roomy fridge.
Food : Great choice for breakfast with eggs cooked to order as well as scrambled eggs . bacon etc Lots of prepared fresh fruits etc On the grounds and beach staff come around with fresh fruit and ice lollies during the day as well as moistened, cold face towels,
Beach : Loads of fluffy beach towels available. Fabulous for swimming, snorkelling ( right in front of hotel – equipment available at water sports hut ) , and swimming with turtles nearby for free !. And great for water side walks for miles. Free water sports including Hobbie Cat sailing and water skiing and lots for kids. Also a oh so comfy, sheltered, free, regular, water taxi to take you to one of the other two resorts, the best of which is Colony Club – lovely place to visit/dine etc
Roadside : close to many cheap eats and fine dining and within 5 mins quick, cheap bus ride to Holetown just north of there for such a wide range of options for dining ( 4 - 5 by the sea ) , drinking and clubbing as well as a well stocked supermarket and chemist. Across road from hotel is a petrol station for snacks etc for your room fridge.
Icing on the cake : The staff led by Kim Griffith Lewis that do everything to make you feel welcome and enjoy your holiday – from the Concierge at the front desk to book trips, restaurants, to the Beach Ambassador staff that can set up your sunbeds ( oh so comfy ) where ever you want and bring you drinks as you want them, which includes just iced water for free !. And friendly, security staff keeping an eye on your welfare.
Standards Example : The engine of the water taxi broke down one day – they immediately hired a glass bottom boat to fill in duties until the engine was fixed.
Hotel’s own Photographs on their website : They say a picture tells a thousand words. I can assure you that what you see is EXACTLY what you get. What is on the side of the tin is what is inside !!
My Photographs : See noted below my other earlier reports with many photos
Any weaknesses :
Room Bed – not long enough for tall folk – staff will willingly stuff pillows down between headboard and top of mattress to give extra length.
246 Beach Front Dining : If there is significant rain, there is not enough shelter so dining has to be transferred to the breakfast, sugar cane room, which is fine for breakfast, but dull and uninspiring for lunch and dinner. But you can dine out on these nights in many great restaurants nearby, such as Daphnes next door or Scarlets across the road – or 5 mins bus or taxi ride to Holetown for many o
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tamarind rests on a 750-foot crescent of premium West Coast white sand beach and is as family-friendly as it is an exclusive adult hideaway. Tamarind features contemporary guestrooms, an intimate spa and relaxation space and two restaurants. Contemporary sun loungers, day beds and decks, transform outdoor spaces into outdoor 'living rooms' providing flexible spaces for dining, drinking, relaxing and events. Complimentary features include: motorized and non-motorized watersports, daily buffet breakfast, WiFi in rooms and throughout property, fitness center and classes and water taxi to other Elegant Hotels' west coast properties. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets and Jetsetter so you can book your Tamarind by Elegant Hotels reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tamarind By Elegant Hotel Paynes Bay
- Tamarind Cove Saint James
- Tamarind Cove Barbados
- Hotel Tamarind Cove
- Tamarind By Elegant Hotels Barbados/Saint James Parish