“Nice hotel, But....”

Tamarind by Elegant Hotels
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Paynes Bay
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed at Tamarind Feb 10 for 5 nights. The rooms are nice, beach great, weather perfect. All in all a great stay. However, when getting dressed to return to 30 degrees and snow in New York, I could not find my shoes. We asked housekeeping, no sign of them so I had to arrive back in sandals and freezing feet! My husband was also missing a new sweater of his. Hate to accuse anyone but it was odd! Still, we loved Barbados!

2  Thank stuben
Write a ReviewReviews (1,177)

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I can also keep this short - if you scroll down to the review by zzzz13 "What a Dive", a few pages down past all the surprisingly positive reviews that keep buffing the bad news, that review details exactly the main issues.

The Good - nice people, food good by Barbados standards, kids club, location.

The Bad - I don't have time but grounds maintenance hours were ridiculous, housekeeping / turn down equally, sofa bed not retracted during the day and so it went on- just the details that differentiate true quality from the pretenders. Good example is welcome bottle of Prosecco and canapes, nice touch and appreciated, but delivered to room at 9pm with no one there but baby sitter and sleeping baby. Concept to call first and establish appropriate timing not there, just tick off the box...

The Downright Ugly - The majority of the rooms, their fittings/doors/walls/noise, the approaches and stairwells etc are absolutely poor quality and totally out dated from the 70's and require total renewal ie knock down and rebuild. Otherwise this situation would be OK at about one third of the prices being charged so you know what to expect. Some of the communal areas are completely scruffy and not up to scratch, just a new furniture cover up job. The web site accommodation photos are totally mis-leading, there are only 4 rooms i could see with those nice wooden windows, the other 100 have 1970s metallic bar monsters. Our balcony was tiny for 5 people in an oceanfront suite the most expensive room in the place, just not acceptable.

If you don't expect much room-wise, have money to burn and kids, then give it a go, otherwise approach with extreme caution. I think I just understood the catchphrase "Elegance with a Twist" now.

Room Tip: Difficult, there are probably only 5 in the whole hotel and your chances of getting one are slim.
11  Thank AlteaMunch
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I'm going to be short and sweet as I already wasted enough time actually staying at this hotel, let alone spending time writing about it.... But I don't want you to go here thinking you will have an exclusive romantic getaway in Barbados if you stay here, a few points:

Kids club is bigger than the pool - not a place for chilled out romance
Housekeeping generally arriving after 3pm - not cool
Breakfast - food was OK but service was pretty poor, they are overwhelmed and even saw two of the staff arguing one morning
Beach is about 5M wide - pictures you see on here of wide smooth white sandy beaches are from Sandy Lane, a bit further along the coast...beach is covered in pebbles and reefs make it almost impossible to walk out into the water (they tell you this on arrival)
Even on checking out I asked to have my bags picked up (as there are no lifts and we were on the 2nd floor with a balcony that had no door but a good view of our neighbours front door) only to go down, check out and be asked by the same lady who I spoke to n hour ago if they should get my bags.

The place is 3 star with potential, the running of the entire operation is obviously not very slick.

Stay here if you are a family with kids only.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
6  Thank Chris K
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We booked this hotel for part of our Honeymoon. From the title you can tell we did not enjoy our stay here, but I want to be fair and point out both the good and bad elements of our stay.
Starting with the good:
it has a good kids club with lots to do (however as Honeymooners this was slightly irrelevant for us)
Location is great, close to Hole Town, with a gas station opposite for cheap day time supplies
Food from the pool bars was good quality and for Barbados, good value
Security staff on the beach were very vigilant and we did not get hassled very often which is rare in Barbados
You could always find a spot on a sun lounger without Reserving a bed at the crack of dawn
Our bed was very comfortable
Breakfast chefs were very friendly (particularly Ether who made us feel very welcome)
These unfortunately are the only nice things I can think of to say about this resort....

When we arrived we got put in a small room with windowed doors overlooking the pool, this meant you could not relax without screaming children and the whole of the pool side looking in at you. When we asked to move, we got moved up one level which helped a little but still offered very little privacy.
Our room was small, with a poor quality TV, stained wardrobe doors, no mirror in the room except in the bathroom and a very noisy fridge. Our maid service was generally very late in the day... One day we got back to the room and our room was still not clean at 4pm!
The pool we over looked was like the costa del sol gone wrong. Children crawling across the floor, hose pipes left lying around, just a generally shabby appearance and the pool is very small.
The other pool is marginally better, however towels frequently ran out as did the complimentary water and glasses.
Beach was fine... Nothing amazing but generally quite clean
Water sports are supposedly included, however they did not run for 3 days of our week stay which was disappointing.
Breakfast (the only included meal) is a shambles. Generally had to wait to be seated, then our tables were missing cutlery or napkins. Staff were very unfriendly and unavailable. It took 20 minutes one morning to get a tea and coffee, we actually turned it into a bit of a joke me and my husband, where we would time how slow it would be each morning to get our hot drinks.
This hotel has the makings of a great hotel, if it sorted out the overall appearance, updated its rooms, and improved its breakfast service. Shabby standards just left the place wanting, and neither me nor my husband enjoyed our stay which is a real shame. I have attached some photos of all the poor standards of the mess and tat left around the place every day.
I have given rave reviews to lots of the places we have visited in Barbados, but unfortunately, our hotel could not be one of them. Stay at this hotel with extreme caution.

7  Thank amandajohnson83
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I had been to Barbados 20 years ago with my husband but on this occasion I went with my sister for a week in February.We travelled Premium Economy with Virgin which was well worth the extra -the planes have just been refurbished and the seats are more likeBusiness/ Club class.

We had booked Junior suites at the hotel with a sea view ,as they had a sitting area .They were large and well appointed.We had requested a top floor room and this was a good decision as the views were really good. If you could request it , room 5301 would be perfect.However for the standard rooms there are 9 directly on the beach and these would be great too.

The staff were excellent and were very quickly onto any small item of maintenance.The concierge made good recommendations and we had 2 excellent meals at the Beach House and At the Tides which were both in Holetown 3 minutes cab ride from the hotel by the taxi.

Holetown would be about 30 minutes walk in the day . There are designer shops as well as some aithentic Barbadian ones but I wouldn't really recommend the town as somewhere to visit.

The hotel is on a beautiful white sand beach which was easy to walk up and down .The hotel is compact -no room would be more than a few minutes walk from the various facilities and the beach. Most watersports are free. The guests were of various ages , some with children , some grandparents and everyone seemed to have a good time.Many had visited the hotel on numerous occasions.

If you are going to relax in beautiful surroundings , the sunbeds were very comfortable and there seemed to be plenty.

The food was good and we had booked a dinner package as it was on offer.We could sit out on the deck each night . We did go out a couple of times for dinner aand really enjoyed it. There are so many restaurants that I would go B and B if I went again.

If I had one criticism it would be that the hotel doesnt have much atmosphere at night , cant really say why -perhaps because most guests go out - seem to eat early and then go to bed quite early! All in all a great holiday.

2  Thank Joy K
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We went on a family holiday to Barbados In January and after much research decided on Tamarind - we needed to put three adults in a room and this was one of the only places that offered that. Our room was a ground floor ocean view suits with dual aspect and a terrace right out onto the sea. the room was very big and modern. Bathroom slightly less modern but ha a walk in wardrobe which was very handy and two sinks - being dated wasn't an issue. We went for the half board option which was great as we ate out at night a lot so could use our meal plan for lunch. We all have to say that the quality of food was very good - we'd been to Barbados a number if times and never had we stayed in a hotel with such good food. The staff also deserve a special mention the were all incredibly friendly, helpful, unobtrusive and sweet.
At 11 each morning they bring round fruit, midday a cold towel and 3pm an ice cream - can't complain!
There was always enough beds on the beach but we found they got reserved very early on! The sea directly in front the main part of the hotel is quite rocky but the beach to either side was totally fine and great for a swim - there's also a mini reef right in front to snorkel. The beach never got too crowded and the trees offer shade from the hot sun so if you do want t spend more me in the sun you need to move around - sunsets were amazing.
The hotel is very kid friendly - this may be a positive or negative for some. We weren't travelling with kids and normally prefer to stay at adult only resorts but it wasn't an issue. Most of the kids stayed by the pool and weren't too noisy - which was lucky! I imagine in peak times there's probably s lot more children and that might not be what everyone is looking for.
Nightlife at the hotel was quiet - there wasn't much going on and not many people at the bar - not sure if most decided to eat out. Hotel is very close to lots of the islands best restaurants and the hotel always organised taxis for us. The gardens and common areas are well looked after - the facade of the hotel could do with some updating just to make it look a bit more modern and pretty.
Overall we had a very relaxing stay, didn't want to leave and would go back.

Room Tip: Think the best room would have to be 201 and 301
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Beachmonkeys
Reviewed February 14, 2013

First Time in Barbados and was not disappointed, fantastic experience, amazing hotel located in a perfect spot near a number of high class restaurants. Staff at the hotel for the most part were very welcoming and helpful.We will be returning next year.

4  Thank Mlbaker79
Hilton Barbados Resort
Hilton Barbados Resort
#1 of 6 in Bridgetown
Waves Hotel & Spa by Elegant Hotels
Waves Hotel & Spa by Elegant Hot...
#3 of 26 in Saint James Parish
Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels
Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels
#6 of 26 in Saint James Parish

Been to Tamarind by Elegant Hotels? Share your experiences!