“Fantastic trip”

Tamarind by Elegant Hotels
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Paynes Bay
“Fantastic trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

A friend and I stayed at the Tamarind for a week and have just returned. The room and facilities were really good, hotel and staff very friendly and we would definitely stop there again. The relaxed atmosphere and helpful staff made a good holiday great.

Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Maggie T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Tamarind surpassed my expectations (I booked separate flight/hotel independently and saved many, many ££££s, so value for money for me was terrific - slightly off-season helped no doubt). I knew the location on the island would be good (returning to the island after almost ten years) but was pleased to find the location also provides a virtually private beach (on an island with no private beaches) and the pools and gardens are a delight. I'll leave the description there but offer these suggestions to like-minded 'foodies':

Very local I'd recommend: Scarlets (100 metres - good food/cool vibe), The Cliff (500? metres - go for a drink first in their cool lounge and see whether you want to take the financial plunge - if that is a factor), Cin Cin (800? metres - good reports from friends), Cariba (600 metres - rustic environs - superb food). Slightly further: (Holetown ?1.5 miles): Only went to Tides (great, great service and food) and Spagos (rustic but honest); there are many alternatives on 1st, 2nd Street and 'Limegrove'. There was also a restaurant in one of the Chattel Houses close by but didn't get to that one (heard good reports). Further away: The Fishpot (north about 30 minutes by cab and excellent!!!), also, the Roundhouse (East coast - Bathsheba) - hard to find and probably needs a slight makeover but the stunning views and good food make it a great place to visit.

Misc:

1. Do use the Reggae buses - great fun, extremely cheap and gets you very, very close to the locals (who are fantastic people)...lol...have fun!

2. Always book restaurants as far in advance as possible - they book up as fast as a Reggae bus gets from bus stop to bus stop!

3. Hire a car and explore the whole island - get totally lost(!) and relax about it, you'll have a great time and someone will show you the way...(find the swimming pools and blowholes at Pico Tenerife - Cove Bay)

4. The government are really pushing a positive attitude from the locals toward tourists as a key differentiator in the competitive tourism market - it's working! However, times are tough for many people and you will be approached by vendors who are trying to make a dollar. A respectful "no thank you" will be met with respect from the vendor.

Please respect the island and the people - and if you get to attend the 47th Independence celebrations on the 30th Nov 2013 in St Philips you'll see how these guys party!

Have a great time!

• Stayed November 2012
4 Thank C1971
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Tamarind by Elegant in Barbados for 6 nights in November 2012.
From the moment we arrived to the moment we left the staff/service was impeccable. Every single member of Hotel staff was polite, couteous and most all friendly. The staff would do anything to help your stay be as magnificant as possible. Nothing was too much trouble for them.
We stayed in a garden view room which was on the 3rd floor and actually had views of the swimming pool and the sea. The room was superb. With a large safe. Clean bathroom. Very comfy bed and also a fridge for drinks which we purchased from the petrol station across the road.
Food in the Hotel was lovely. Breakfast was included in out plan and was amazing. Good variety and very fresh.
We also had lunch and 2 evening meals in the Hotel. The price of food is a little more than average. However not expensive compared to London (IMO). The main thing is, the quality of the food was fantastic, fresh and tasty and good size portions.
The Beach right next to the hotel is absolutely beautiful with crystal clear water. Hotel residents all have complimentary use of water-sports equipment, indluding some morotised which is great.
There are many nice restuarants to eat near Tamarind Hotel and the hotel staff will be more than happy to make reservations for you.
Overall a fantastic place for my short trip to Barbados. Highly recommended.

conceirge

2 Thank babolat
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

We have just arrived home after spending 10 days at the Tamarind hotel - it was a most relaxing holiday with some lovely special touches. We were made to feel welcome and our room, Junior Suite, was just perfect. We had plenty of room, a view over the pools and sea, a large comfortable bed, sofa and numerous wardrobes/drawers. The staff are very helpful, always there if you needed anything but not intrusive. Food/drinks were a bit more expensive than places nearby but not exceptionally. Buses stopped just outside the hotel for Holetown or Bridgetown - very easy and cheap to use, recommend using the 'Reggae' buses at least once for the experience! The complimentary watersports are readily available and the staff willing to help if you need them. There are 'locals' on the beach selling snorkelling trips to swim with turtles and over the reef - recommend 'unda da hat' Rod/Rick as they are brilliant and do almost personal service and ensure you get the best experience. Overall Great Hotel, wonderful staff, very relaxing, hotel isn't too big so you get a cosy feel

2 Thank Kate2411
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

This hotel knows exactly the kind of holiday it's customers are looking for and pretty much delivers.

Service is very good, the staff all seem to want to help. Cold towels and rum punch on arrival were very welcome,

The food is good, breakfast is the usual buffet, but all the variety you could want. Lunches by the pool were reasonable and tasty. We only staryed at the hotel one night for the caribbean buffet and it was very good, all the dishes explained well by the chef. Would recommend Daphnes next door, really good food and nice atmosphere, other places we tried and really liked were Tides, The Cliff (very expensive, but worth it), Sandy Lane Bajan Blue. Oistins fish fry on a Friday is a real fun experience, its rough and ready, but a great buzz. Just watching the young locals dancing gave me back ache.

The bedrooms are nicely furnished and very clean, the bathrooms are a little old fashioned and the shower can be a little unpredictable in temperature. We would say that choosing your room before you travel will help you enjoy the Tamarinfd more, some of the ground floor rooms in the older section of the hotel are not too spacious and not really at the same standard as some of the other rooms. We stayed in room 316 in the centre of the hotel that overlooked the garden and out to the sea, it was a good size and very comfortable, with no noice from the AC unit.

The beach was great, lots of free watersports and an old reef right at the waters edge for a bit of snorkelling. You can take the 2 man canoe out and find the turtles just up the beach, just look for the other boats and the people in the water. There is some pressure from the beach vendors trying to sell you jetski rides, boat tours and everything else, usually a no thanks is all you need to say. We saw and talked to plenty of people taking the trips and they seemed happy with the experience, but I would recommend talking to the guys in the watersports hut if you want anything and they will point you to the right guy. if you feel that you are getting too much pressure you can talk to the hotel security or the beach warden, but we had no problems. While you are on the beach from time to time the staff come around with cold towles, ice lollies, fresh fruit etc.

The island is easy to get around by hire car even if there are not many signs, part of the fun was getting lost! The reggae bus was a white knuckle ride into town and great fun, just tell them where you want to get off and they will wave a hand at you when you are there. Taxis have a pricing structure, but you must agree the price before getting in and be prepared to haggle a little.

We will definitely be back and we will probably stay here again, it has all the elements we are looking for and we were sad to leave, can't say anymore than that.

3 Thank RacingPolarBear
Stockport
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is just outstanding.We had a family holiday for 14 nights.On arrival we were met by Kim the General Manager who showed us to out suites over looking the ocean.The rooms are spotlessly clean well appointed and looking over the sea pur magic.

The breakfast is fully stocked great service and great food.

The hotel restaurant is a little expensive but well worth it and much better than Dahanes next door which is much vaulted

Kelly Ann on the bar is delightful and keeps your drinks flowing

There is a weekly cocktail party where the staff come and join you for drinks

Tamara who runs the breakfast and occasionally is the consigned was wonderful always on hand for hints tips and advise

You will see boat trips but talk to the man with the hat on the beach his trip is great fun and a good price

The complimentary water sports are fantastic and kept our boys fully entertained

Overall a first class holiday a great hotel but made fantastic by the staff who really cared that you enjoyed your stay.

We will be back

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank DrWhoStockport
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

I'm just getting back from my girls trip to Barbados for their annual Food Wine and Rum Festival. We stayed at the Tamarind, which is a really nice hotel for the most part, however, there are some minor changes that need to be made. Here's a break down of the good and the bad.

Good
1. Excellent customer service. The staffers were friendly and responsive. This is important because upon check out, I was charged two different amounts. One for the remainder of my total stay but also another charge for my girlfriend's portion of her stay. I don't know how this happened but I will say, the person checking us out was the one staffer we encountered who wasn't very pleasant (all that rudeness clouded her brain). Anyway, over the course of the next few days, said girlfriend and I had been dealing with a manager to get this situation straightened out. It's not 100% corrected yet because Thanksgiving here in the States has slowed things down for my bank but I'm certain this issue will be solved. The manager I had been dealing with to fix this was very responsive, available and helpful, so I appreciate that.

2. The food at this place is really good. We didn't get a chance to check out Daphne's but we had a buffet style dinner by the beach, on the first night we arrived. The dinner was full of Caribbean flavors like pineapple and chicken salad, a roti station and succulent meats like curry chicken, jerk chicken, fresh salads, and more. The buffet's at the Tamarind aren't cheap but it's worth it. For a more economical meal, stop by the 247 bar where you can get flying fish sandwiches, burgers, fries, salads and more that are just as good, filling and less expensive. My girlfriends and I mixed it up while we stayed there. Breakfast was just ok. They had typical stuff like an omelette station, fruits and veggies, sausages, beans (which is very English), bacon, pastries and yogurt. It wasn't anything to write home about.

3. About the food, the hotel is conveniently located across the street from a Tiger Mart (gas station) and a roti den (they sell other food besides roti like curry chicken over rice and peas, etc), so if you're interested in being more financially conservative when it comes to food, these are also viable options. However, this part of Barbados--also known as "the platinum coast"--is expensive, so don't be that person who agrees to visit and then complains about the cost of everything when you should have done your research and saved vacation money ahead of time. Also, the gas station was good if you ran out of or were missing basic supplies like toiletries.

4. The rooms are beautiful. We were a little bummed at first because we couldn't get an ocean view upgrade but we still turned out fine. Instead, we ended up in a first floor room facing the pool but again, it wasn't bad. We still felt safe as our room was partially tucked away behind some local flora, but we still had a decent view of the pool area. It gave us a sense of privacy that made us almost feel like we were in a bungalow. The inside of our room was spacious and we fell in love with the fact that we had two sinks in our bathroom, which was also pretty big for a hotel. However, the plumbing was an issue, which I will get to in the bad section.

5. The beaches were nice, never crowded (but that could just be because we were there during an off season) and the staff was attentive and proactive about making us feel comfortable. As a group of women, some staffers were rather flirty but it never felt creepy or uncomfortable.

6. The rum punches and all the drinks for that matter were pretty good. However, if you want a nice buzz then get the rum punch. Be careful because it will sneak up on you! It had me doing cartwheels and headstands on the beach.

7. There was security on the beach, which came in handy because sometimes the merchants were a bit aggressive, which brings me to the bad.

Bad
1. The merchants on the beach were annoying at times. Merchants on the beach is something that the hotel can't really control because all of Barbados' beaches are public. However, sometimes there are those who feel like you HAVE to purchase something from them and get salty when you turn them down. From what I experienced, it was mainly the men trying to get you on a jetski, selling fruit and/or jewelry who were rather intense (not all were extra aggressive but enough)--something that I've always hated about visiting Caribbean islands. I noticed that they were less aggressive when they saw security nearby. But again, I was with a group of women. I'm certain this wouldn't have been as bad had I been with my husband or some other male figure.

2. The water pressure for the shower and toilet were awful. The toilet barely flushed and the shower stream was sad. Also, there was half a door on the tub, which was part of some sort of design thing but it wasn't functional as the floor constantly got really wet during showers.

3. My bed was uncomfortable. The bed was really hard and the pillows were really soft--soft to the point of mush. That may not bother some (as my friend had no issues sleeping soundly) but it was a problem for me (I will admit that I'm a light and sensitive sleeper). It always took me a while to get to sleep and I'd wake up still tired from tossing in turning. The upside is it wasn't a trip where we were sleeping in. We were too busy partying, exploring and beaching it up as soon as we could, but bedding is still an important factor, so I'm just putting that out there.

Bottom line: Would I stay here again? Yes.

Room Tip: Get the ocean view upgrade if you can. Also, "partial view" pretty much means you'll g...