My buddy and I just returned from a week's vacation at the Tamarind Hotel located in Paynes Bay, Barbados. Trip dates: 10/27 to 11/4/12.
The Tamarind is a lovely, upscale (but not pretentious) Mediterranean-style hotel located on the West coast of Barbados. The staff at the hotel are all lovely, accommodating and oh so sweet. They are always pleasant and friendly no matter what you ask or need. The guys at the beach are all nice as well and not intrusive in any way. The grounds are beautiful and spacious. The beach is lovely especially with all the trees under which you can bathe in the sun without getting scorched. If the surf is up, you may want to pass on a swim because the shells and rocks can be a little dangerous with the churning waves. However, when the sea is calm, you must go for a long swim...absolutely lovely water.
The rooms are very nice and have all the mod cons. The view from the "oceanview" balconies are all lovely. We were the only Americans at the hotel which was nice for a change of scenery. There were mostly families and couples staying at the hotel during our visit but this didn't bother we gals at all. There is a great adult pool if you don't want to hang with the kiddies. This pool was fantastic, clean and very serene...it was really our favorite spot. We opted for the breakfast plan and glad we did. The buffet each morning was delicious and diverse. Coffee was fab too!!! If the coffee (and rum punch) is great at a hotel, you know it is going to be a decent holiday. :) We dined out each night and this gave us an opportunity to also explore a bit of the island whilst driving to/from the restaurants on the west and south coasts. I would highly recommend the Fish Pot up north in Six Men's Bay and the Waterside Restaurant down on the South coast. Mr. Vic's across the road from the Tamarind is a nice little spot for drinks and local food...nice owners and good eats. Surfside up in Holetown is a fun place for post-shopping, beachside cocktails, decent eats and local chats. Eating out can burn a few holes in your wallet...but heck, we are on vacation after all...right? And there are so many good restaurants from which to choose. The bar and restaurants at hotel were all good too if you get lazy and want to stay local.
Last but not least, do hire Livington if you want a great driver for the week. He is a lovely, honest man who we would highly recommend to any traveler who would prefers the convenience of taxis for the week. Just tell the receptionist at the hotel that you would like Livingston as your driver. You won't be disappointed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tamarind rests on a 750-foot crescent of premium West Coast white sand beach and is as family-friendly as it is an exclusive adult hideaway. Tamarind features contemporary guestrooms, an intimate spa and relaxation space and two restaurants. Contemporary sun loungers, day beds and decks, transform outdoor spaces into outdoor 'living rooms' providing flexible spaces for dining, drinking, relaxing and events. Complimentary features include: motorized and non-motorized watersports, daily buffet breakfast, WiFi in rooms and throughout property, fitness center and classes and water taxi to other Elegant Hotels' west coast properties. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your Tamarind by Elegant Hotels reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tamarind By Elegant Hotel Paynes Bay
- Tamarind Cove Saint James
- Tamarind Cove Barbados
- Hotel Tamarind Cove
- Tamarind By Elegant Hotels Barbados/Saint James Parish