“What a wonderful holiday”

St. George Gardens Hotel Suites
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Chlorakas
Reviewed June 30, 2013

If you are looking for a peaceful, relaxing ‘Fly & Flop’ holiday then this could be the place for you. Our 2 weeks at the St George Garden Hotel Paphos were superb. From the moment we arrived the staff were friendly, helpful, and chatty. As a mature couple we were a little worried about it being described as ‘Family Club’ we has 2 weeks 12th-26th June and the majority of children were under 10 years, and seemed happy with the pool and kids club. That said I do not think the hotel or local area would suit active teenagers as it a quiet location. There is a rocky cove with a coarse sand man made beach. Having water shoes would be an advantage but not essential. Animation team work very hard day and night. The evening entertainment is all outside, starting with the kids disco at 8.30-9.15pm followed by either local professional acts or a show by the animation team from 9.30- 10.45pm. The Saturday night beach party incorporating both the St George Gardens and the St George Hotel (part of the same group) is not to be missed. Great fun! In general the evening entertainment is low key, although there are a lot of bars etc in Paphos Harbour. A return taxi would cost approx 12 Euros
There are various small supermarkets in the area, and it is a 5 min walk to the main road and buses. The Bus goes every 15 mins into Paphos harbour area or Coral Bay the cost is 1.50Euro pp for a single journey.
Rooms were once apartments, which would really suit families. Although the hotel is AI there is a kitchenette, fridge, kettle, tea and coffee supplied. On arrival we were welcomed with a bowl of fruit and a bottle of red wine....nice touch. The 1 bedroom room/apartment we had was very clean, spacious, with a very comfy bed.
The food in the restaurant was outstanding at every meal, local dishes, plus a different roast every evening. For vegetarians’ there was always a fish and pasta dish available. I could fault the food or service at any meal. The pool bar was great Stella was so friendly, and seemed to be able to remember what everyone wanted, and serve 2/3 at the sametime always with a smile.
The only negative we found was the weekend of 15th & 16th June when the Hotel hosted a ‘prom’ weekend. We were joined from midday on Saturday until after lunch on Sunday by approx 80 teenagers aged 14/15. They were some adults with them, although they seemed to keep a low key. Depending where you room was depended how much sleep you got that night, in our case not a lot! Also they were very full on in the pool and hotel. I understand this is the 3rd year it has been taken place.
Would we return, yes we would the weather was so hot whilst we were there (39 in the shade) that we didn’t walk or explore as much as we would have liked.

Room Tip: We had Room 502 1 bedroom with a sea view, great sunsets
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TweenUK2003
There are newer reviews for St. George Gardens Hotel Suites

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Having read a very bad review just before I travelled, I just had to reply. I had a wonderful week at the St George Gardens. It is not as fancy as its sister hotel, the St George, but the atmosphere is more relaxed and my studio apartment was clean, tidy and very welcoming. I had an inland view room but out on the balcony I had a lovely view of the sea via the St George Hotel pool - just glorious. The Reception staff were very helpful and helped me contact my rep. The Dining Room staff were great and explained all the whys and wherefores to me. The upstairs bar was cosy with a great balcony to watch the sunsets.

I was able to use the Spa in the St George and I had a wonderful aromatherapy massage and this was billed to my room - great. Some people seem to think that the two hotels are interchangeable - they are not. I was on half board so had no problems. I was able to bring a bottle of wine and put it in my fridge - not allowed in the St George!

I was there for a wedding and it meant that I could have time to myself when I wanted and then join the others for an evening drink - best of both worlds.

Room Tip: I paid for an inland view room and had a lovely blacony where I could sit and watch the antics of th...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Manxworldtraveller
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Great holiday at average hotel

Just got back from a week all inclusive at St George Gardens. Booked via Thomson at a cost of £3,500 for 4 adults and two children aged 6 & 4.

We have previously been to Cyprus on many occasions, although not recently, these trips included stays at the St George Gardens and adjoining larger sister hotel the St George. Previous visits left us with a good experience and fuelled by nostalgia we revisited.

Firstly let me say if you have booked this hotel, there is nothing to worry about you will have a great time, there is a tendency to become melodramatic when writing a review and whilst critical of many aspects there is nothing sinister to report. I would say that this hotel is ideal for younger families with kids under 10 who enjoy a pool based holiday.

I will list what I consider to she the bad points first, followed by the good and then the mixed points before elaborating on each.

Bad Points;
It is not the St George Hotel; No Real Beach; Rooms & Hotel have seen better days; Hotel on many levels; Restricted dining/bar choice; Students working at hotels living in guest areas; No mini bar or drinks to your room-policy; Paying for clean beach towels; Not very welcoming welcome; Rooms left insecure by maid.

Good Points;
Good animation team; Some good reception & waiting staff; Good sized rooms, Reasonable entertainment; Relaxed pool scene.

Mixed Points;
Food- mixed bag; Good Internet connection in lobby but not free.

Bad Points;
It is not the St George Hotel; the hotel shares the name and some of the animation features but its not the same or the same standard. In previous years you used to be able to use the hotels facilities including bars nowadays it is restricted to a shared beach party and use of the hotels gym only.
No Real Beach; the st George has a small strip of sand in a cove which used to be fairly private, this is shared with the St George Gardens but the public has access too. It gets crowded and is not the intimate family area it once was.
Rooms & Hotel have seen better days; The rooms have the same decor as when we last visited which we think was about 10 years ago. The hotel had a health club now restricted to a gym and pool. The gym had enough equipment for a holiday workout but the area looks abandoned.
Hotel on many levels; The hotel is built iggledy piggledy on the side of a hill. Reception is on floor 4 of 6. We stayed on the second floor; the restaurant is on the first floor and the pool on the ground. There is one lift from floors 2-6 and another between the ground and 2 but these are not located near each other. Whilst there are ramps it is difficult to navigate. Communal toilets are on the 3rd floor and the ground floor and also by the restaurant when the gym area is open.
Restricted dining/bar choice; There are two bars and either dining in the restaurant or snacks by the bars, I never did work out the hours for which. We ended up eating out 4 times in 6 days so a 1/3 ratio. Eating out wise the nearby St Giorgio cafe is cheap and serves good food, in Paphos itself Chloe's (Chinese) and Risto La Piazza (Italian) both worth a visit, not cheap but great food in both. All 3 venues I have reviewed separately.
Students working at hotels living in guest areas; we had them in adjoining rooms to both of ours- they did what young people do congregated and made noise but because they worked at the hotel this included late at night when they finished their shifts- Great!
No mini bar or drinks to your room-policy; we have not been all inclusive without some drinks in your room, usually a couple of cans and replacement water. One bottle of water on arrival and then water from the bars on request. Never seen so many signs saying taking drinks from the bar to your room is prohibited either-whilst not policed seemed a little odd on an all inclusive holiday.
Paying for clean beach towels; 2 Euros to replace your towels-again a first for me as paying a returnable deposit for a tv remote.
Not very welcoming welcome- the lady in reception was very helpful but we are used to a welcome drink a porter service etc. it was a little underwhelming.
Rooms left insecure by maid- happened only once, Came back to find the patio doors and curtains left open. There is a public path at the side of the hotel. Went outside and the neighbouring room was also left open too!

Good Points;
Good animation team; They were all very good at getting people involved especially the young ones. The mini disco each night was a must for our grandchildren and great fun to watch in the amphitheatre.
Good reception, bar & waiting staff; almost all very friendly and helpful, no gripes here. Bar could do with a bit more staff at busy times.
Good sized rooms- we had a family room- the main bedroom was separated by sliding double doors from the living room kitchen area which doubled as the children's sleeping area. Plenty of space and a handy kitchenette area with pots and pans too. This did leave you with the feeling of a self catering holiday rather than an all inclusive resort.
Reasonable entertainment; mentioned the animation team but there were a couple of magicians and a singer- all good family fun and again the hotels amphitheatre was a great setting.
Relaxed pool scene. Ideal for families and some very pleasant children. the group from Newcastle were particularly nice and took to our grand children. Big thanks if they read this review.

Mixed Points;
Food- a mixed bag; you wouldn't go hungry but its not fine dining either, canteen style with an eclectic mix of combinations. Some of the hot food especially pasta was luke warm. Think it suffered a bit as it is relatively small so probably can't justify either a choice of restaurants or food styles. that being said most of the food was tasty and all cooked through-- no upset stomachs to report!
Good Internet connection in lobby but at a price of 5 euros for 90 minutes. it's free and fast at the St Giorgio Cafe across the road and at many bars in Paphos keen for your custom.

Overall thought the whole thing lacked TLC and with a little investment could be as good an experience as when we were here last. Sadly I wouldn't recommend or return that's not to say that you won't have an enjoyable holiday just think there's better out there for the money.

Finally my wife has read my review and said that I am more lenient and fair minded than she would have been.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank PetenJulie
Reviewed June 22, 2013

My boyfriend I went to Cyprus with a wedding party of 24. 11 went for 2 weeks, including the bride and groom (02.06.2013-16.06.2013) and 13 came for the 2nd week (09.06.2013-16.06.2013) Of the 23 guests 9 of us were staying in St Georges Gardens and the other 14 were staying in St George. THIS IS WERE IT GETS TRICKY!!
In the first week my boyfriend and I were put into St Georges Gardens and the other 9 stayed in the St George which is literally just a stone throw away, you would assume it was all the same complex which is where the problems start. During the booking process the bride and groom were told that guests booked into St Georges Gardens could use all the facilities at St George Hotel and vice versa. For example: the restaurants and bars, this was also stated in the 2012 Thomson brochure when the booking was made. THIS IS NOT THE CASE!!!! The first day we got there we looked around the complex as you do. This is when we realised the divide between the 2 hotels. Beach towels from St Georges Gardens are blue and pink from the St George. Neither of the towels from one hotel appeared around the other hotels pools. We then walked over to the St Georges main restaurant to meet up with the rest of the wedding party for breakfast. Again we noticed the divide due to the fact that our all-inclusive bands were green and the St Georges were grey. We all decided we would see what was said at our arrival meetings. So my boyfriend and I went to ours at the gardens and the rest of the party went to theirs at the St George. Lucinda was our rep and she was a lovely lady. Very smiley and polite .However, she did not mention anything about using the facilities at St George. After the meeting my boyfriend asked at reception instead. The lady told us that the only thing the guests at the gardens could use at the St George was the pool, the beach, the gym and the spa. This was not good. We then went over to the St George to their meeting were the rest of our party were having their meeting with their rep Tom. Again the same questions were asked about what was available to whom. The bottom line was the St George and St Georges Gardens were the same complex but 2 different hotels. Guests could only use their own bars and restaurants at their own hotels but the pools, spas, gyms and beaches where communal. The groom hit the roof. This is not what he was told? So over the next four days my boyfriend and I ate and drank at the gardens away from the rest of the party whilst they tried to sort it all out with Thomson, the hotel and the rep. A few phone calls later to the travel agency in Manchester Trafford Centre where the booking was made. Thomson had come to the conclusion that there was some confusion in the booking process so offered to pay HALF of the cost for all 9 of the guests staying in the gardens to use the bars and restaurant facilities in the St George and offered to cover the whole cost for them to come to the St George for the wedding. This was the only solution for the wedding party to be together so we had to cough up MORE money. This is hopefully being refunded now we have arrived home and the situation is being investigated. I do apologise for the huge essay but I felt this was necessary to share because this is not the first time this has happened to a wedding party who have been told that the St George and St Georges Gardens are the same. Just that the gardens is more appropriate for families due to the rooms.
CHECK-IN/RECEPTION
Check in was simple and easy and we received our all-inclusive GREEN bands and our room key. We were in room 315 on the 3rd floor which is just below reception. There are lifts available. There is a little shop in the hotel lobby which sells your usual stuff. Crisps, sweets, toiletries, newspapers, gifts, etc.
THE ROOMS
The room itself is quite nice. It’s very spacious. When you first walk into the room the bathroom is on the left. The room has a little kitchen with a hob, a sink and your usual kitchen essentials i.e. Bowls, cups, glasses, etc.. In the ‘Living room’ there is to sofa which turn into 2 single beds and a little dining table (which upon arrival had a bowl of fruit and a bottle of red wine on as welcome gift ,a very nice touch) then the ‘bedroom’ obviously has your double bed, your little dressing table and mirror and your wardrobes etc. There are doors to separate the bedroom from the living room if necessary. We didn’t need this as it was just the 2 of us. Ideal for families. The room had air-con but it was very fiddly. Sometimes it seemed to work other times it didn’t. It was quite noisy but not too the point where you had to turn it off. The room also had a television set. You have to purchase the remote from the reception for 5 euros which you do get back when you check out. To be honest though you don’t need the remote, the TV has 7 working channels out 35 and only 2 of them are in English. There is a safe in the wardrobe; you also have to pay 5 euros for the key which you also get back when you check out. We had a lovely view from our room of the St George next door and the sea. We had bath/hand towels in the bathroom which got changed every 2 days along with the bed linen (although the rooms where cleaned daily except for Sundays) and we had blue beach towels which we found out the next day at our arrival meeting we had to keep for a whole week before we could change them for fresh one. We could change them earlier for 2 euros. The plug outlets in the room are 3 prong so no need for travel plugs.
FOOD/DRINK
There is one main restaurant were you have your breakfast, lunch and dinner. Breakfast was 07:00-10.00 lunch was 12:00-14:30 and dinner was 19:00-22:00. The food in there wasn’t bad. You always found something you liked. We really only ate there for breakfast. We had lunch and dinner there for the first 4 days but then used the St George for the rest of the holiday. It’s pretty much the same food in both hotels but more choice in the St George. There is 2 different restaurants at the St George, one used for breakfast and lunch and one used for dinner (this one is a bit more fancy and shorts and ¾ pants are not allowed to be worn, trousers only) at the gardens there is only 2 bars available. One bar around the pool which opens from 10:00-18:00, this serves food outside of the restaurant opening hours. This bar does reopen in the even although I am not too sure at what time. There is also a bar in the main reception which I assume is open all day but again I am not 100% certain. Crisps, certain ice-creams and some cocktails do not come under the all-inclusive band. You should try the milkshakes though they are to die for! Now compared to the Gardens 2 bars and one restaurant the St George has a lot more to offer with their 2 restaurants and there 5 bars (including beach and pool bars)
THE BEACH
The Gardens does have its own ‘Beach’ if that’s what you want to call it. It’s basically just rubble and rocks; there are no sun lounges or anything remotely ‘beachy’ about it. However you can use the beach of the other hotel which is a little better but needs to be kept clean by guests. Cigarette butts just thrown on the sand and empty cups everywhere.

THE ENTERTAINMENT
It was a bit hit and miss. Some nights it was really good and other nights really terrible. Again this is where the confusion lies about what is available to whom from which hotel because the entertainment was available for guests at the gardens in the st George and vice versa.
THE AREA
There isn’t much in the area to be honest but you can just hop on the bus for 1 euro a time or just get a day ticket for 3 euros and use the buses as many times as you want. We went to Coral Bay and the Harbour a couple of times which was a lovely day out.
As you have noticed I have reviewed both hotels and when you go there you will see why. It is very hard to see that it is not just one complex because you can just wander over to the other hotels freely and use there communal facilities. It’s a very strange layout and set up for 2 different hotels. If I was to go back to Cyprus and had to choose between these hotels I would choose the St George because there is more available food and drinks wise. More bars and restaurants and also it just looks nice. Very beautiful hotel. If you are thinking of going to the Gardens because of what’s available to you as a family with the children’s play area and pool area etc. Then you are still able to use this as a guest of the St George. There is just not much on offer in the Gardens.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank MissSarahG87
Reviewed June 20, 2013

just got back from our 12 day break at the George gardens and it was exactly the way I expected it to b, after reading most comments was a little unsure what this place was going to b like...but out of the four adults and four children there was no bad complaining from us, the receptionist`s were always happy and helpful, the food was good, ok after a while you did feel like you were eating similar food everyday, but if you only have the one restaurant that's what u have to expect, think its pretty hard to get kids food spot on, what else do kids eat apart from, chips, pasta, chicken nuggets, ,hot dog sausages, there is plenty of choice from the adult section but most English kids are too fussy what they eat,, unlike the European kids who eat what they are given, the chef who cuts the meat is great, if there is anything u need just ask him he`ll sort u out. bar staff from pool bar ( stella) excellent couldn`t fault her, little georgie from upstairs bar excellent too, she`s English so can`t go wrong with her...rep was fine, didn`t really use her but she was always up for a chat... the rooms were fine and clean.. worse thing I found about this hotel was the beach, don`t think you could call it a beach and the sister hotel where u can watch there entertainment but can`t drink there!!!! gardens hotel entertainment average as well as kids entertainment.. I think the managers could improve this hotel by a lot if they sort the beach out infront of the hotel, spend some money and add some sand instead of them nasty old rocks and secondly its a family hotel why get greedy and let in over a 100 students who stayed the night and virtually took over the place but luckily went next morning..my review of this hotel is based on our experience of the hotel and the time we went,, I`m not sure what the comments are like when this place is full it was very quiet while we were there and that was perfect for us, but I`m not sure if my comments would of been the same if this hotel was full.!! but don`t b too put of with some of the bad comments, oh and for all of you who are worried what your supposed to wear at evening meals, casual shorts are fine.. and the sunset is quality u have to b quick because it don`t take long to come down.. enjoy your stay hopefully u will

Room Tip: sea view is a must,
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank cleggy1970
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We went in 2012 for a two week break and I was appalled at what I found. Considering we paid £3000, I was heartbroken at how mis-sold this hotel was.

The rooms are like apartments, the food was cold, the service was poor and the hotel was definitely not up to spec compared to how it's sold.

Luckily on arrive and appalled we complained and got transferred to St George's Hotel for our two week stay and thankfully got the service expected for the price paid. If this hadn't happened, my two week holiday would have been a two week hell!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank KeiraGosal
Reviewed October 27, 2012

i have just returned and found it to be exactly what i expected, friendly and accommodating, with the luxury of self catering facilities if i wished. The rooms were adequate and the staff helpful nothing was a problem. If i had wanted to stay in a PLATINUM hotel which is what the sister hotel is I would of booked it and paid a lot more for the priveledge . The gardens is what it states a family unit....that offers good quality facilities at a fraction of the price of its sister hotel.

Room Tip: reception will do all they can to accommodate, i asked to change at the time the hotel was full but...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank leightonNewcastle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chlorakas
Hotel St. George
Azia Resort & Spa
Azia Resort & Spa
#33 of 85 in Paphos
King Evelthon Beach Hotel & Resort

Been to St. George Gardens Hotel Suites? Share your experiences!