“Relaxing, private - perfect for a weekend away”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Belmond La Samanna

Belmond La Samanna
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Terres Basses
“Relaxing, private - perfect for a weekend away”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

With direct flights from NY this place is a no brainer. Stunning powerade blue, warm water. Delightful staff, facilities becoming dated but the beach is fantastic. Not sure about the plastic trampoline in the middle of the beach - kind of ruins the view.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Simon L
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Dear Simon L,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Belmond La Samanna. I am happy to read you enjoyed our beach and as for the facilities, I must tell you that we have been undergoing major renovations over the last 2 years and this is only the beginning. The trampoline is one of the favorite attraction of our guests and I must admit that its yellow color does make it quite noticeable. I thank you for your comment and hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Claremont, CA, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

At almost $1,000 per night (high season rate including taxes) there were high expectations before we arrived. Mid afternoon arrival did not find our rooms ready but we were upgraded to a suite on the beach. The room was comfortable and as a suite very spacious but the quality and furnishings are perhaps closer to 4 star rather than 5. The gardens and grounds are mature and well landscaped. The hotel buildings show their age but are well cared for. The spa is miniscule. I guess the strength is the friendliness and warmth of the people who work there. They all went out of their way to make us feel so welcome with a genuine friendliness that comes with a happy well managed team.

3 Thank Hugh B
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear Hugh B,

Thank you very much for your kind review about your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you room was not ready when you arrived but as we are often sold out, we need a few hours after guests' departure to clean the room for the next arrivals and this explains that our check in time is 4pm. We encourage all our guest to let us know their exact arrival time in advance so we can play with the room attributions depending on Departure / Arrival time and make sure everyone is settled as soon as possible to start enjoying a great holiday.
The hotel just celebrated its 40th birthday and renovations take place little by little, year after year. Most of the rooms on the beach have been refurbished with beautiful and new comfortable furniture. We are hoping you will consider coming back so you can try one of them.
Your great comments about the staff will be shared with the entire team. Thank you again for reviewing on Trip Advisor.
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

We stayed here in March for 8 days. It was myself, 2 teenage daughters, and my 83 year old mother. From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty. Every staff person was very kind and helpful. The resort is stunning, ocean views galore from just about everywhere. We had a lovely 2 bedroom suite right on the ocean. It was much larger than I thought it would be, a nice kitchen, living room and 2 good sized bedrooms with large, modern baths. A stunning patio with covered table area, lounge chairs, and umbrella,2 steps down and you are on the beach. Note for accessibilty issues - the resort has had a lot of erosion recently and there a is a huge drop-off of about 10 feet, straight down from the upper flat part of the beach where the lounge chairs are down to the ocean. They have installed ropes to make it easier to navigate, but my mother could not go down to the water. The location of the resort is fabulous, $20 cab ride from the airport. If you think you may want to explore the island, I would recommend taking a taxi to the hotel from the airport and then renting a car at the hotel for the days you want it. MUCH less hassle than renting from the airport, and most days we did not leave the hotel except for dinner, and we took a taxi then anyway. The food was delicious, albeit pricey. The breakfast buffet is simply amazing, best I have ever seen. We ate lunch either on the beach (quaint flags by your lounger that you put out when you need something) or at the pool restaurant. The only negative I would give the hotel is lack of dinner options. The pool restaurant/bar is so nice, and lively but it is not open for dinner. The breakfast dining area is not open for dinner either. The dinner dining area is small, and lacks anything special. We ate there one night and were not terribly impressed, there are many gourmet/fun/island type restaurants close by, so just plan on eating out for dinner. If the hotel could open the pool restaurant even just a few nights a week, that would be ideal. They said you could order tapas there, but we tried one night and none of the staff knew what we were talking about. There is a golf cart system they use to shuttle you back and forth to the main building if you don't want to walk, or like us have an elderly traveler with you. You call for the cart, and hardly ever have to wait, they show up immediately.
Truly, the staff make this resort special. Small example - we broke our "do not disturb" sign one morning leaving for breakfast, It is a shell necklace that you hang on the door and it got caught a few times and broke. Anyway, when we returned from breakfast, it had been replaced without our saying a word. That is service. This hotel is worth the price, heaven on earth.

Room Tip: Ground floor oceanfront suite made access to the beach so easy.
3 Thank Southerntraveller_12
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Southerntraveller_12,
Thank you very much for your great words. I am very glad to read that you had a fantastic time with your family. I am sorry that your mother wasn't able to go in the sea due to the steep access but the big wave we were expecting since November to flatten the beach has arrived 2 weeks ago and the access is now completely flat again. This wave was 5 months late and there was unfortunately not much we could do about this as Belmond La Samanna beach is a nesting point for sea turtles and only mother nature is allowed to modify its shape.
Thank you for your comments regarding dinning options and as I was explaining in a precedent post, we are now working on having a wider choice for dinning venues. The tapas menu from the bar was quite new when you stayed with us and I am very sorry to read that my staff wasn't well informed about it. This has been corrected and guests are welcome to give them a try everyday from 5pm.
I hope we will have the pleasure to welcoming you back again.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

My wife and I had a very nice stay at La Samanna last week. The resort is beautiful and well maintained. The beach is amazing (though the surf is a little rough with a steep drop off). We had an ocean view room with a private balcony in the main building that was quite nice. The room had been recently redone and was in excellent condition. One small issue was our air conditioner was broken the first night, but was fixed quickly the next morning and the temp at night wasn't too bad even without it. I would have loved to try a beach front room, however, that was not the cards for us this trip.

The food at the beach restaurant is decent and the drinks are quite good (but very pricey). The food at the main restaurant is good as well, though maybe not worth the price.

The tennis facilities are good (1 hard court, 2 artificial grass (I think) courts), though sparsely used during our stay, and the pro was very friendly and helpful.

Areas for improvement:
1. The service at the water-sports hut was terrible. We took out a few paddle boards and received very little help and no instruction (not even a "have you used these before"). All the guy did was have us sign a waiver and point us to the boards. Coming back from our paddle he did not come to help us get the boards back up the beach until the last minute and I ended up cutting my foot on beach rocks in the process. Not a big deal, but I would have expected a little more help.

2. In general the service on the beach as well as the bell hop service was spotty. A five star resort should not make mistakes with your luggage and should be more attentive to their guests. Note, the beach service was not terrible, just not as good as I have experienced at other 5 star resorts. Also, the breakfast, main bar and restaurant service was better.

3. I don't think there is anything the hotel can do about it, but it seems a lot of island boat tours come to use the cove/beach. I'm sure this is great for the people on the boat tour, but as a guest of the hotel, the beach is much quieter and nicer without them. It's not a huge problem, but a bit of a nuisance.

Despite these small issues, we really enjoyed our stay and would definitely return. That said, we did get what I consider to be a reasonable rate on the hotel, which was half the rate we would have had to pay if we visited a few weeks earlier. I think if I had paid 2x as much, I might have expected a bit more, so be sure you set your expectations accordingly.

Room Tip: We had room 107 which had nice privacy (near the end of the hall) and was recently redone. I would...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MGNYC23
Dear MGNYC23,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us.
While I am happy to read that you enjoyed the hotel very much, I am sorry that the Watersport staff hasn't been more present in helping you and giving you advices when you might have needed some. Your review will be shared with them, together with the Bell boys and Beach team, and we will implement corrective measures to make sure service is constantly delivered at the highest level and at all times.
Regarding the Island boats coming to our cove for snorkeling, there is as you said not much we can do as the sea is a public area. Our cove is indeed a beautiful place to snorkel and has the advantage of being very calm when the sea can be rough at other places of the Island. The good thing is that these boats usually stay for a very short time.
Thank you again for your review and I hope we will have the great pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014

Fortunate and blessed to have visited La Samanna back in March. Room was beautiful with a second level equipped with lounge chairs and hot tub. View of the ocean and it's sunsets outstanding and took way too many pics . Breakfasts were wonderful with a bountiful buffet and beautiful location and lunches on the beach were great. Dinner choices for my family was a little limiting so we did travel around the island which mostly was good but taxis of course can add up. That being said we were lucky to have met Andre Taxi who taught us so much about the island , the history and we recommend everyone to ask for Andre. What a gentleman! We hopped a high powered ferry to St. Barths for the day which I recommend for everyone to consider while at La Samanna. Service overall was wonderful ! Would definitely consider a return visit.

1 Thank faige
Dear Faige,
Thank you very much for your great review. I am very glad you had such a good time and I will personally thank Taxi Andre for taking such good care of my guests.
I thank you for your advice about dinner choices and you must know that we are currently working on offering our guests more dinning options for the future.
I am very much looking forward to welcoming you back soon.
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

Whether you're hunting for a memorable venue to celebrate a special occasion or you're scouting for the best food on St. Martin, look no further than La Samanna's Trellis restaurant. Let's begin with its setting perched on a cliff dramatically overlooking the illuminated turquoise Caribbean below. The restaurant offers both indoor and outdoor seating, but for my money I'd opt for the latter giving you a ringside seat to the drop-dead view.

We worried that the restaurant might be stuffy (in a previous incarnation jackets were required dress for men), but to our pleasant surprise it was anything but with a casually elegant atmosphere putting all diners at ease. But that casually elegant atmosphere doesn't come at the expense of either the food or the service. Both were, in a word, fantastic. I wouldn't be surprised if the waitstaff to diner ratio is 1:1, but they were in no way hovering or obtrusive. On the contrary, the waitstaff made the dinner a seamless experience. Beyond being well trained, the waitstaff was deeply knowledgeable about all the elements of the menu and well versed in the finer points of the exceptional wine list. The cuisine itself was nonpareil, start to finish superb and, in my opinion, superior to anything you might eat in Grand Case, the so-called "gourmet capital of the Caribbean"

As for La Samanna itself: longtime visitors to the hotel, we were pleased to discover it operating at it's very best in years. The general manger of recent vintage, Pascal Deyrolle, has very much put his personal stamp on the hotel and it shows in all aspects. The physical plant of the hotel, always well maintained, is now a cut above and the level of service discernibly elevated. Any hiccups we observed in years past, like for instance a shortage of beach chairs in winter 2012, are very much a thing of the past. Truly, La Sammana is most improved!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank DeLoNYC956
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear DeLoNYC956,
Thank you very much for your great review and I am very happy to read that you noticed the improvements made over the last few years. My entire team works very hard to consistently deliver the best service to our guests and we are touched when efforts are recognized through such positive feedback.
I am very much looking forward to welcoming you in the near future.
Hilton Head, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

We have heard so many wonderful things about La Samanna...cant wait to show up May 12
thanks for the reviews that promise wonderful service. cant wait!!!. We trust these reviews! what a great week ahead.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Wedge6,
What a great idea to check out the reviews before your arrival on May 12th. May I suggest you to contact my Guest Relations Manager Maylis for any arrangement you might want to make prior to your venue? Her email is: mdepompignan@lasamanna.com
We are very much looking forward to your visit to our little paradise.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Terres Basses
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
#2 of 3 in Anse Marcel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,219 reviews

Been to Belmond La Samanna? Share your experiences!