We stayed at La Samanna for just one night in February after spending 10 days in Anguilla. Our vacation started off pretty poorly, as I had arrived in St. Martin early for work, with my family expected to follow 2 days later. However, they got stuck in one of the many snowstorms this winter here in New York (and everywhere in the U.S. this year, it seems), and were delayed for 2 days, so I spent 4 days alone (okay, in paradise, but still alone). When they finally arrived, the vacation really began. We had a private villa in Anguilla but needed a place for our last night before flying back to the states. I chose La Samanna because it is a hotel I've always wanted to try and we were not disappointed. It was beautiful and the service was phenomenal.
Until this stay, I was not a huge fan of St. Martin, but La Samanna changed my mind! Perched on the cliff overlooking the beautiful beach, it is stunning. When we arrived, our rooms were not yet ready (it was only 9:30 a.m., and during the high season, so this did not surprise or disappoint us). The woman at the front desk suggested we have breakfast and they would notify us when our rooms were ready. We had reserved a 2-bedroom suite because it was me, my husband, and our 2 teenage children. Beautifully furnished, with a large master bedroom/master bath, a living room, efficiency kitchen, and a smaller, but lovely en-suite bedroom on the other end of the living room, We had a lovely balcony that overlooked the beach, which was fantastic to view the sunset. The beds were extremely comfortable and the master bathroom had a soaking tub and huge open shower with rain shower head. The toiletries were L'Occitaine.
We had dinner at the restaurant that evening and everything was delicious and the service was gracious. It was a very relaxing evening with almost a full house.
Breakfast was a very comprehensive buffet, with eggs and omelets made to order, if desired, but there were a lot of other options, including scrambled egg whites, regular scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, pancakes and waffles, oatmeal, cereals, fruit, and a wide selection of pastries. The chocolate croissants were scrumptious. Fresh-squeezed orange and grapefruit juice and a wide selection of tea, espresso and cappuccino. The view is also lovely from the dining area where breakfast is served.
We spent the day on the beach, which was very nice. Comfortable lounge chairs, umbrellas, and the option of a full shaded beach pavilion (for extra cost, I believe). There were stand-up paddle boards, and other non-motorized water sports equipment and motorized options for extra cost (not a fan of these, but really did not create too much noise pollution, after all). What I loved about the beach service, was the flag that you put out in the sand when you want an attendant to come - how civilized! There was also a beach restaurant, where our kids had lunch (we had had a big breakfast, so we were not hungry for lunch). We ordered drinks at the beach and the rum punches were very tasty. My husband and I later went up to the pool area when the sun was falling in the sky and the beach became too hot for us. One thing I will say about the beach is that there is not much of a breeze, which we were not used to, so it did get very hot. The water was a lovely color and temperature, but there were lots of boulders in the water, so it did make for a bit of a difficult time when you just wanted a dip to cool off. Most people did not seem to mind, but I'm used to a sandy beach, so beware of that one negative. I'm sure if I walked a few hundred feet in either direction, I would probably have found a better entry into the water, but it was not too big of a deal - we were only there for one day.
There are at least 2 pools, one off the dining area where breakfast is served and one next to the beach bar which has a beautiful infinity edge and sits right over the beach. We spent time at the one by the breakfast dining area and it was very nice, quiet and comfortable. We ordered margaritas for a late afternoon cocktail and enjoyed the atmosphere.
The entire property was very well maintained with well manicured grounds and impeccable attention to detail. I even saw an employee wiping down the walls for potential finger prints! Always sweeping and polishing - attention to detail was notable.
On our departure, the front desk staff was very nice and helpful - they had pre-arranged to pick up our bags and for transportation to the airport.
All in, we would definitely go back again. I am pretty picky about my hotel accommodations, and this definitely met all of my high expectations.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Belmond La Samanna nestles amongst lush gardens overlooking 55 acres of spectacular beachfront. A complete resort in itself, Belmond La Samanna offers a spectacular private beach, two poolside terraces, 83 luxurious rooms and suites and 8 recently renovated 4600sq. ft. villas with private pools. Enjoy its sophisticated food offerings and award winning wine cellar, indulge in its European Elysees Spa, or simply enjoy the privacy and relaxation of this sophisticated and sensual French-Caribbean enclave. Gourmet dishes are served in the elegant Trellis, and Baie Longue Bar offers pool-side dining and views of Baie Long Beach. Dine on your private terrace and later enjoy a drink from the wine cellar. Belmond La Samanna is everything you could wish for in a Caribbean hideaway. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Booking.com, TravelUp, getaroom.com, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Belmond La Samanna reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Samanna By Orient-Express Hotel St. Maarten/St. Martin
- La Samanna Hotel
- La Samanna Resort St Martin