We have been staying at La Samanna for about 17 years, twice a year for the last 7 or 8, and have to tell you there's a reason other than just the beautiful location, great service, and cold Carib that Jean Woel, Garry, or Romel always have waiting for us before we even sit down at the beach bar - it is the same staff, now friends, that for years greet you so well and take care of you even when you act like the rude American tourist that we all sometimes become. The island has changed over the years, some good, some bad, most lately because of the economy, but for every closed shop in Marigot, or delayed project (Blue Mall) there is something else great going on. If you need a totally "clean" place and not a "dirty" island as one writer comments, then perhaps you should avoid experiencing what we have come to love as a place where there is real life, and not just another sheltered resort on a perfect island.
Enough preaching, now for the facts. The beach is the best on the island, if you like quiet, a wonderful and easy swim, one row of loungers with nothing to block your view, and no more than 50 or so people on the beach at one time. The sand can pile up in the late summer, making it a little hard to climb back up to your lounger, but if that's a problem, just go to the pool. Get a beachfront room, and you are only 50 feet away from the water. Breakfast is included in most room rates, and is excellent. Lunch at the beach bar is too. Have not eaten at the main dining room in a couple years, but did have a appetizers in the wine cellar for 25th anniversary and it was great. Be sure to rent a car, so you can go to Marigot, Grand Case, or Cupecoy for dinner (Pressoir, Mario's Bistro, La Cigale, Temptation, Rare . . . ) and to the casinos for blackjack after "if you don't like nice things". Check with Benny and Roberta, great concierges, to get you set up.
La Samanna, thank you for welcoming us back for our 30th anniversary this week. It was, as always, a great time. Our room literally looked out on the wedding that is described in a prior posting, and we actually watched it from our deck with rum drinks in hand. You did a great job handling what must have been a difficult task at this time of year in the islands. We know you also went out of your way to accomodate the newlyweds and their party until the very early hours of the morning, all to try to make it right for them. That's why we continue to come to La Samanna. We read a wedding party members review and can tell you that they must have been at a different, pretentious wedding on St Barts or Anguilla, because the one on St. Martin would have been most peoples dream! We can only hope that the young surgeon and his new wife (yes, we were next to you on the beach the next morning as you and your friends blasted music, cursed loudly and debated a new Porsche) come to realize how good you have it!
Frank, Mersula, Cassy, Benny, Thicot, Romel, Jean, Richard, Orlando, Jean Woel, Emma, Roberta, Garry,Thelma, .... and everyone else, we thank you and look forward to the 2014 Super Bowl party. Please remind Romel that we would like reservations for front row seats, a bucket of Caribs, and lots of classic French football snacks - foie gras and escargots.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Belmond La Samanna nestles amongst lush gardens overlooking 55 acres of spectacular beachfront. A complete resort in itself, Belmond La Samanna offers a spectacular private beach, two poolside terraces, 83 luxurious rooms and suites and 8 recently renovated 4600sq. ft. villas with private pools. Enjoy its sophisticated food offerings and award winning wine cellar, indulge in its European Elysees Spa, or simply enjoy the privacy and relaxation of this sophisticated and sensual French-Caribbean enclave. Gourmet dishes are served in the elegant Trellis, and Baie Longue Bar offers pool-side dining and views of Baie Long Beach. Dine on your private terrace and later enjoy a drink from the wine cellar. Belmond La Samanna is everything you could wish for in a Caribbean hideaway. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Belmond La Samanna reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Samanna By Orient-Express Hotel St. Maarten/St. Martin
- La Samanna Hotel
- La Samanna Resort St Martin