Belmond La Samanna
$224
$212
Travel Inn Hotel(Simpson Bay)
$99
No availability for your dates from our partners
Turquoise Shell Inn(Simpson Bay)
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
1,150 results
All reviewsbeach barmain buildingplunge poolwine cellarla caveone bedroom suiteour honeymoonbeach attendantsconcierge staffbeautiful resortstar servicest martinbeach servicebaie longueorient expressthe main dining roomprivate beach
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 7, 2013

La Samanna has always been our favorite place on the Island for the past several years.
It's once Moroccan bar and Hemingway lounge, formal dining and paintings by local artists set the stage for excellent service in feasting, relaxing, privacy and romance.
Much has changed since 2012.
Presently, a modern bar scene with wide screen TV with noisy crowds in beachwear, formal dining room available depending on the number of guests, buffet meals, prices on menu differ from charges, wait staff has difficulty in 5 star service particularly when busy, serving canned crab and frozen lobster for lunch at the Beach Restaurant
Are these changes an improvement? You be the judge!

1  Thank TheGeehans
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Dear TheGeehans,

I am delighted to hear that you have been a return guest to La Samanna over the years. We have done many renovations to both our rooms and main lobby area, as well as restaurant and I am so sorry to hear that you do miss some of our old decor. We have tried over the past few years to enhance the original characteristics of what La Samanna has been since 1973 by introducing a modern and fresh look. We still do have artwork from our own local artist, Roland Richardson, displayed throughout the hotel and within the rooms. You will also be very happy to hear that we are now keeping Trellis open for dining every night so that we can offer our guests our fine dining experience on a daily basis. I sincerely apologize for any negative feelings you had on your last visit here and hope that you do come back and give La Samanna another try.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

After years of hearing my father (who passed away in 2007) telling me that La Samanna is the place to be, we decided to go to celebrate our engagement and my birthday in Februrary. Wow! He sure was right!
From the moment we walked in the door to our beautiful pool/beach front room, we immediately knew that 5 days would never be enough. They even had a gorgeous flower arrangement on the table...A very thoughtful welcome to such a beautiful paradise!
We found the staff to be extremely friendly, professional and attentive. They couldn't do enough for us! We were treated as if we were the only guests there, absolutely amazing! Natalie at the beach bar, and Jeanne (who we later found out is her mother, who works at the restaurant) made every effort to make our stay as relaxed and effortless as possible.
The resort itself is magnificent, to say the least. The grounds, pool, beach, dining, staff, security...You name it...Outstanding!
We hear the Villas are beautiful, but unfortunately we were not there long enough to see them. Definitely a must the next time, as we plan to go back as often as possible for much longer stays. We can't wait to go back!
La Samanna is truly heaven on earth.

1  Thank MyTime2Relax

Dear MyTime2Relax,

Thank you kindly for posting such great feedback and sharing your experience with all others who wish to read our reviews. We are so happy that you chose us to celebrate such a meaningful experience and glad to hear that we were able to add a special touch to your birthday and engagement celebrations. I will make sure to pass this feedback onto the staff members you mentioned as it always brings a smile to their face. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed our property, rooms and all our facilities. We do hope that we can see you again in the near future and hopefully we will be able to show you a Villa at that time as well.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Truly a wonderful resort right in front of the bean, extremely kind staff always ready to accommodate any request.
Rooms are super chic, all white and very spacious, beds are extremely comfortable and bathrooms are super large and extra comfortable. They change towels and bed linen so often...it's extremely clean and attention to every single detail.
We felt like we were having a vacation at our seaside home! The best ever!
Monica at customer relations is always available and extremely kind.

Lucio Di Rosa

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank whiteNgala

Dear Lucio Di Rosa,

We would like to thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor. We truly value great feedback like this and love to be able to give recognition to our employees that are able to provide such amazing service. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed the rooms, decor and comfortably of our rooms. We do hope that we will get to see you again in the near future!

Reviewed March 5, 2013

This was a very nice resort on a very pretty beach. We had the deluxe ocean view room, and it had a very comfortable bed and nice bathroom. The room was a lot smaller than I expected, and the terrace was located right in front of the pool. We never use it because it was not private at all. The restaurants were very good, but the service was island slow! I probably wouldn't return here because it wasn't a good value compared to what we got in Anguilla.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
LaSamanna, General Manager at Belmond La Samanna, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2013

Dear BethA02,

Thank you so much for posting your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor, we love getting any type of feedback from guests so that we can continue to do what we do great and ensure any areas you recommend for improvement are re-evaluated. Although I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our property and room, I am very sorry to hear that you were upset with your room's terrace and service deficiencies you experienced. I sincerely hope you will consider returning to La Samanna, and if so, please contact us so we can ensure you have a more enjoyable stay and we can meet any preferences that you may request.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

My husband and I spend 5 amazing days at this incredibly beautiful resort last week for a special Birthday celebration. I chose this resort for its beauty, low architectural buildings that blended into the background, (not the villas on the cliff obviously), lush landscaping, beautiful grounds and the fact that the beach looked like the best on the island. I am so glad I did. We had an early flight from NY and arived at the hotel early afternoon. Our basic ocean view room was not ready so we enjoyed a drink at the beautiful bar in the main house lobby terrace. It is here where the 2 retaurants, bar and lounge and main pool are located. We took a quick ride (we had a rental car) to the store in Cupecoy (5 minutes away) to get some provisions for our room and when we returned our room was ready (early) and we were given a quick tour by the welcome staff and the lovely Kaitlyn. A quick golf cart ride to building F (halfway down the property) and we were welcomed into a standard Ocean View Room (which was what we had booked) on the second floor ( 2 story building). The room itself was small but the bathroom was large and the terrace was a nice size as well and it was bright and fresh and clean. I was worried as I walked out onto the terrace as we were directly overlooking the beach bar/grill with its white tents and was hoping this was not going to be a problem in terms of privacy. There was a private event at the bar/grill one night and was happy to have made plans for dinner out of the resort that evening as I would have been looking out on a party that I was not invited to! It looked beautiful however and I am sure private events here are very special. The room was cozy and as the air conditioner was loud at night and bothersome the next nights were spend with the terrace door open and I fell asleep to the sound of the ocean and the gently breaking waves. The beach was uncrowded during our entre stay and the beach attendants were quick and helpful. The infinity edge pool by the beach grill and bar was nice for a dip after the beach on our way up to our room. Romel and staff at the beach bar were great as were Orlando and company at the main bar. (But who is Bob anyway? Mayor of La Samanna? We were to understand that people that come back for many years are part of your family - and he seemed to belong there!). We dined at Trellis our first night overlooking the brighly lit sea at a table perched on the the edge of the cliff. Service there was rather slow, but I enjoyed the view and drinks so much I was not in a rush to go anywhere! You are on vacation right! Whats the rush? We dined out on the island the other nights and instead of having the buffet breakfast at the retaurant at the main house (which was not included in our room rate and quite expensive to add on) we choose to have coffee (from the room's expresso maker) and fruit and croissants from the market on our oun terrace very morning which was lovely. We spent our mornings and late afternoons at the beach, we toured the island and had lunch out during the mid day, and we dined at various island restaurants in the evening and stopped at the main bar for a nite cap and to chat with new friends. Arriving back to our room on our last night I found a lovely cake with Birthday wishes from the staff waiting for me! Such a nice gesture! That is what makes La Samanna special! All in all it was a wonderful Birthday and although it was our first time to the resort, and quite expesive for us, I am already looking forward to coming back again - This is how great memories are made. Thank you for a great stay.

Room Tip: Second floor for view, lower floor for direct beach access steps away from your door in the ocean front buildings. If you want more privacy, ask for a room away from the beach bar and grill

Dear mystic401,

I want to thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review about our property and your experience here at La Samanna. I am so happy to hear that you and your husband chose to celebrate your birthday here and were able to experience such a lovely vacation. I am delighted you were able to experience all the amazing things our resort offers, our amazing terrace bar, restaurants, beach bar and pools. I will also make sure to pass on all of your comments to the mentioned staff members and make sure that they are recognized for making your experience even better. We do hope to see you again very us and please do not hesitate to contact us directly to inform us you are coming back!