My husband recently treated me to a post cruise, final night of our pre-Christmas vacation at the lovely La Samanna resort in St. Martin. Leaving the cruise terminal with our new travel agent friends we had met on our cruise, our friend Renee, said "come with us as our guests & tour this property, you can look in to staying there for the night too" (our flight was not until late the following day & we had no hotel reservations for the night) Being a huge travel buff, I was pretty familiar with with this 5 star resort, & being a big fan of luxury resorts.....I suspected the rates would be over the top! We went along as her new Texas clients & took the most amazing tour of the property including it's 4 luxury villas that go for 10,000.00 pr. night! Wow the resort, & spa was nothing short of being spectacular! Being a professional photographer, the images I saw (& photographed) were pure bliss! Endless photo opts, especially just inside the main open air lobby bar area, (i will include the photo) simply beautiful! I loved all of the tropical foliage alongside of the winding pathways & the gorgeous white mediterranean architecture. We ended up at the Sand Bar that had the most amazing views of the beach & bay area having $16.00 designer cocktails..... our awesome fun bartender was a photographer on the side, he admired my camera asked to see it, then started shooting our group like a paparazzi ! he was delightfully entertaining & my husband happily ordered more delicious drinks from him. While I strolled down to the most perfect beach my husband worked with a young LS Canadian host from the hotel to secure a room for the night. I was of course not surprised when she gave us a beautiful ocean front suite in the H building next to the beach bar. So, I got to experience La Samanna for the next 28 hours. The hotel staff treated us like royalty from the moment we got out of our taxi until we left in their slick SUV escalade the following afternoon. Our suite was beautiful! I loved the soft whites & pale sea blue accents. a nice expresso coffee bar area along with a nice balcony overlooking the expansive beach. The only real negatives were the service at lunch. The servers were overwhelmed & obvious not trained properly, lots of unhappy diners waiting for checks or wanting to order a drink or food. It was not at all acceptable for any 5 star hotel. This was unfortunate because the other workers, hotel staff were wonderful. My grilled lobster was very good, but I had to ask for a side salad because it came with nothing, not even drawn butter! I had to wait forever to get that, and no dressing on my salad either...really! another long wait. My husband ordered a cheeseburger after eating cruise ship food all week, unfortunately it was not up to par at all. The manager should visit Jumby Bay to see how they serve lunch. We had lunched there just a couple days prior & it was fabulous. We had a nice romantic dinner on their terrace restaurant that night, the food was pretty good, but could have been better. The buffet breakfast the following day was excellent. ( we served our selves) If you stay at this resort and pay the rates, you really don't want to venture off to go in town or take the ferry to other islands. So they really need to hire a food consultant or expert chef & train there servers & to get it right. In spite of the dining issues, this was really the perfect ending to our cruise vacation. Stay a couple of nights here then take the ferry to St. Barts! Wow, that place is amazing!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Belmond La Samanna nestles amongst lush gardens overlooking 55 acres of spectacular beachfront. A complete resort in itself, Belmond La Samanna offers a spectacular private beach, two poolside terraces, 83 luxurious rooms and suites and 8 recently renovated 4600sq. ft. villas with private pools. Enjoy its sophisticated food offerings and award winning wine cellar, indulge in its European Elysees Spa, or simply enjoy the privacy and relaxation of this sophisticated and sensual French-Caribbean enclave. Gourmet dishes are served in the elegant Trellis, and Baie Longue Bar offers pool-side dining and views of Baie Long Beach. Dine on your private terrace and later enjoy a drink from the wine cellar. Belmond La Samanna is everything you could wish for in a Caribbean hideaway. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Belmond, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotels.com, Hotwire, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Belmond La Samanna reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Samanna By Orient-Express Hotel St. Maarten/St. Martin
- La Samanna Hotel
- La Samanna Resort St Martin