“Good location, poor service, great potential”

Four Points by Sheraton Penang
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Tanjung Bungah
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

Four Points Penang is located in a beachfront location outside of the city but between the two main touristic areas of Penang. The rooms are generally comfortable (although furnished with basic furniture) however the most disappointing aspect of this hotel is the quality of the service. Check-in was uneventful however F&B personnel is clueless and unhelpful. There is a clear training gap that doesn't not seems to have been fulfilled based on the previous months' reviews. Parking was not a problem during my stay, which was a major issue in some other reviews. As other people reported, no sign of management oversight during my stay which highlights probably the root cause of many of the difficulties in customer service at this property. Staff attitude is generally unprofessional unfortunately.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Kurt V, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Penang, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2014

Hi there FrankTripAdvis and thank you for posting a review.
I am sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations and that I also failed to meet you during your stay.
I will continue to emphaszie on departmental trianing, particularly at the food and beverage areas so that we can improve our services moving forward.
Thank you once agian for your comment and looking forward to seeing you again.

There are newer reviews for Four Points by Sheraton Penang

Reviewed January 2, 2014

We recently stayed at the Four Points over Christmas and it was just fantastic. We had a particularly great time by the pool, thanks to the amazing service by Vikram aka. the best pool boy in the world. No joke. He went above and beyond his duties and worked tirelessly all day, attending to the needs of everyone, with a huge smile on his face - he just had the greatest personality and made us feel so welcome! The food at the restaurant was also particularly delicious and decently priced (for a hotel) albeit the pasta/salad portions could have been bigger. The cocktails were outstanding, I highly recommend the long island iced teas. All in all, it was a great stay. Will definitely be coming back!

1  Thank Manveen M

Hi there Manveen and thank you for visiting us over the Holidays.
Thank you for sharing with us your postive experience and particularly for pointing out the great service by Vikram. He is a fantastic team member and we're very happy to have him with us. It is also good to learn that you liked our food, cocktails and the pricing of the items.
I look very much forward to welcoming you back in the new year.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Stayed here from 29-1 Jan 2014 for the new year. A new swanky and vibrate hotel. Check in was a bit slow as there is only one person manning the counter. No privileges as a SPG gold member like a SPG counter or free enhanced room.

I stayed in a deluxe room overlooking the main road and it's clean plus up to date. It's a new hotel but you can see the sign of tear and wear. The wifi signal seem weak and I have to re-logged in a few times.

Housekeeping was doing a good job till the 3 day whereby they overlooked to clean my room and I been out since 10 am and back at 4pm! I noticed that there seems to be irregularity of the housekeeping to update things in the room.

The Fitness room is a bit bare as there is no tv nor any music to liven the room as in Aloft KL Sentral. Need to hyphen the room since it's a gym.

Nothing locate nearby the hotel for dinning but i managed to eat at The Eatery restaurant.Food is great and I order quite a few for in room dining myself. Kudos to the Chef!

To move around to the town or nearby shopping malls ,you can take the bus no 101.It's around RM$2 if not mistaken to downtown.It will pass by the shopping malls and the main city centre, KOMTAR. From KOMTAR, you can take any buses to around Penang Island. But a word of advise, the buses can be overcrowded with tourists and local alike since the bus passes by the Batu Ferringhi area where most beach resort hotels located at the end of the journey.

Overall, the staffs are nice and only mare by a few glitches. Need further improvement and training to ensure the hotel can compete with the surrounding hotels.

Room Tip: Higher room and possible the beach front room
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Iszraei

Hi there Izraei and thank you for visiting us over the Holidays.
Thank you also for posting a review. I'm sorry to read that the internet was weak. It would help if you could send me an email and inform me of the room number you stayed at so I can investigate this. So far we are amongst the hotels tha thave the strongets bandwith (36MB) at no charge.
As for Houskeeping overlooked your room, it is possible that they still had your room on their list to be serviced and I'm sorry for the lateness on that particular day. I will reenforce that they service the rooms of the stay-over guest as priority.
The gym you experienced is a temprory fitness. We are currently building a new fitness room ouside on of the building on the hotel compound.
Lastly, thank you for pointing out the great food.
Looking forward to see you around again.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

We wanted to celebrate the 2014 countdown in Penang. Booked this hotel despite some negative review on it. We arrived late on a Tuesday evening and the check-in was fast. The sea view from the lobby was magnificent. We were too tired to drive out and decided to chill out at The Brew. Excellent service and food!! Great place to chill out for family, couple and friends. We welcomed 2014 while gazing at the stars and hearing the waves hit the shore. They had live DJ but the music was way too retro, could have been better. If not for the massive traffic outside, we would have left the place and head somewhere else.

Overall, we enjoyed the stay.Definitely would stay again!

Happy New Year!

Room Tip: Go for sea view!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Hi there LadySarah9 and thank you for visiting us during the Holidays.
It's nice to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and defenitely we can improve on the music during the New Year's Eve event. I will make this a point for next years celbration.
Meanhwile, Happy and Healthy New Year!

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Well before we booked the hotel , we did check the reviews on it. It was mostly negative
1) Parking is horrible – but they do provide valet services.
2) Staffs could use more training

Ok , but I've stayed here previously when it was called Tanjung Bungah Resort. So, Fourpoints has definitely has given this place a fresh face lift that this property needed. We love the lobby area as it opens up to the beach, the sound of waves and the smell of sea just surrounds you. That’s what we loved about this hotel. The beach is quiet, so it very to relax by the beach, however I was disappointed as there were no beach chairs. Beach towels were also scarce. The pool should be bigger. It was packed and there was little room for us to go for a swim, but it’s understandable as the dates we travelled were peak.

The package we booked offered us appetizers daily, this offered us a chance to sample the food at the Eatery . However when we asked the front desk staff at the restaurant about the appetizers they seemed unaware of it and we had to wait for awhile till someone acknowledge and then showed us to our seats. The appetizers were good, we loved it and I think it’s a smart way to attract guests to have dinner at the restaurant. The buffet breakfast was great. We sat outside on the patio facing the beach next to the pool.

The Brew is also fantastic place to order a beer and have sit in a huge cushioned rattan while gazing at the stars and hearing the waves hit the shore. The staffs at the Brew are top notched. I would say even better then front desk, they were more welcoming and friendly.

Over all , we enjoyed the holiday . We stayed on the 5th floor and also booked a seaview room.
When we first checked in our sheets were dirty , we informed the staffs and they were apologetic and quickly replaced the sheets. We were not disappointed.The view is fantastic and the beach was clean .

Room Tip: Pick higher floors and sea views rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cikuciku
Kurt V, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Penang, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Hi there and thank you for posting a review on your stay.
Thank you for pointing out the positive aspects of our resort and thank you also for the suggestions about beach-chairs. Even though this beautfiul strip of white sand beach is not very crowded, it is still a public beach.
Lastly, I agree on our Best Brew associates, they're top-notch and I'm very happy to have them on our team.
I am looking very much forward to welcoming you back again in 2014 and in the meantime, I wish you a healthy and happy new year.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

We had our company trip in October and it was a great 3D2N time inclusive of team building activities and BBQ Dinner by the beach. The hotel team right from Kurt, the GM to all frontliners were friendly and courteous. Rooms were spacious and beds comfortable. A great feature of this property is the Front Office Lobby view looking out to the sea - it's simply captivating.
I also just returned from our Christmas holidays in Penang and all 5 nights were at Four Points. My 2 kids really enjoyed the pool, beach, fitness centre and of course the room. Staff were ever friendly staff and Kurt was always around the property. Lack of parking lots were promptly made up by the parking attendants at hand.
Overall, my experience at this hotel on both occasions were splendid. I'd recommend it for business as well as leisure stay - it's by the sea with a beautiful beach and yet, not a distance from Georgetown itself.
Kudos to Kurt and team! Thanks for a great holiday.Happy New Year 2014

Robin Rangel
Kuala Lumpur

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Hi there Robin_Rangel and thank you for returning back to our hotel this time with your family.
Thank you also for posting a review on your experience, it certainly made my day to read that you had a great time with us.
Looking very much forward to welcome you and your family again, I remain with best regards and best wishes for the new year.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I really want to have a stay in one of the hotel near BF or TB, Penang. So, i decided to stay at this hotel since i was informed this hotel is still new. Despite some of the negative comments i read here, i still booked 2 rooms, oceanview.
We arrived and check in late in the morning but still being welcome nicely by the staff. Just disappointed coz unable to get complimentary breakfast despite my room is rate higher that the other room. I dont think the hotel will incur any losses for giving all the guest with complimentary breakfast. How much we can it thou.
Anywhere, the room is superb. Clean and being housekept daily. Two queen bed with 8 fluffy pillows.
The environment is quiet and relaxing. And very close to the beach.
I love the lobby area, it allows free air flow and thus not make the guest stuffy.
The lack is only on the parking part, but was managed by the staff nicely.
Hope to revisit this place one day.

Room Tip: Ocean view, high floor
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Hi there FaraMohd and thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor.
Thank you for pointing out the friendliness of our associates.For future bookings, please visit our Starwoodhotels.com website for best available rate. We also offer breakfast inclusive rates on this website. Thank you also for pointing out that our assoicates managed the parking situation well.
Looking forward to see you again in the New Year.
Best Regards, Kurt.

Hard Rock Hotel Penang
Hard Rock Hotel Penang
#2 of 11 in Batu Ferringhi
Hotel Jen Penang by Shangri-La

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Penang? Share your experiences!