“Overall positive experience” 4 of 5 bubbles

Four Points by Sheraton Penang
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Tanjung Bungah
“Overall positive experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

We have just completed our two nights stay at this hotel and overall we had a good time.

Check in at around 4pm was hassle free and took less than 5 minutes. As most of the other reviewers have mentioned, they do not have a dedicated SPG line but I was offered my welcome amenities without asking.

Do not expect any room upgrades at this property as Gold member. I reserved three deluxe rooms for this trip, one of the room smelled of cigarette smoke upon entering. I went back to the front desk and requested a different room, front desk rep obliged with no issues. The bedrooms are tastefully decorated, quality is similar to most 4points in Asia Pacific. The only issue that I had was the property ran out of shower gel.

I did not drive for this trip but I can see how parking can be a problem. The property offered free shuttle to Gurney at 11am and Batu Ferringgi at 7pm but reservation need to be made the day before as I was told by the front desk rep. I used meter cab instead since it is cheap and easy to flag down. A cab ride to Gurney drive hawker center or Gurney plaza shopping mall should cost around RM10-15. If you are adventurous, take the 101 or 102 rapid penang bus instead for RM1.40. There is a bus stop close to the property. There are many foreign tourists on the bus so you won't be alone.

The Eatery offers a mixture of western and local food at a very reasonable price. We ate there a few times. View is beautiful and the service was good. If you want to sample the local hawker food, the property is walkable to ViVa hawker center which is open at night. It took me 5-10 minutes to walk to the food center.

The beach area is clean and pool is nice. For a cat1 property, the quality has exceeded my expectation. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed December 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kurt V, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Penang, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Hi there and thank you for visiting us.
Thank you also for posting a review ... it's great to learn that we met your expectations during your stay. Hopefully we will see you here again soon.
Best Regards and Happy New Year.
Kurt.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

Took the opportunity to experience the newly renovated hotel by booking directly. They were having a room promotion for reopening in October. Room price only MYR199 (non-sea view). Love the concept of open air lobby lounge. Beautiful view, setting & furniture. The front desk lady (a Korean) was very nice & friendly. Check-in done within 10 minutes.
Our room is quite cramp with bulky furniture. However looks vibrant & comfortable. Clean bathroom & they provide you with iron & board, hairdryer plus digital weight scale! The beds are comfy but like other reviewers, we think the sound proof is not good. But that won't kill your sleeping mode.
Overall the hotel & surrounding is clean & nicely renovated. We enjoyed our time at the beach. That is the only activity available for family with kids. We do not swim at the pool as it is small & crowded. Again, parking spaces are limited, but their staffs managed to handle the 'problem' very well. Without hesitation, we will come & stay in Four Points again (with higher hopes that parking problem will be solved, next time around).

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kurt V, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Penang, responded to this review, December 25, 2013
Hi there Inascully and thank you for staying with us.
Thank you also for posting a favourable review on your stay.
We are fully aware of the limited parking spaces we have and thank you for pointing out that our associates handled this situation well. I have a better long-term solution but that project won't be completed until later. In the meantime we will continue to manage this as good as possible so to make the overall experience for our guests flawless.
Thank you once again and Happy Holidays.
Kuala Lumpur
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

Before booking, I noticed all the negative reviews. However, the room rate offered was very reasonable (for a Sheraton hotel). Had it not been, I would not have considered staying here at all. I was here for 7 days and this is what I found:

The hotel is newly refurbished and the room and bed was very comfortable. The staff are also friendly and service was ok in general. The beach and view is very nice.
However, the parking is a mess and there is simply insufficient parking space for the hotel guests.
Also, like other reviewers, I noticed people swimming whilst fully dressed and then dripping their way across the lobby and back to their rooms whilst leaving puddles of water in the lifts.
I did not eat in the hotel, except for a single room service pizza which was mediocre.

Stayed December 2013
Kurt V, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Penang, responded to this review, December 22, 2013
Hi there Johnofkl and thank you for posting a review.
Thank you also for your comments and whilst I am aware of the sensitivity around the pool dresses, I will do my best to address this with the guests.
Happy Holidays and looking forward to welcoming you back.
Thank you - Kurt.
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

I feel a bit guilty about this review and I’m only just starting to write it! I’m a frequent guest at Starwood hotels, 118 nights this year to date and the one thing I can rely on with them is their consistency and predicable standard.

However, this hotel stands out amongst its peers, but unfortunately, not at the right end!

Firstly though, the good things: The hotel has been recently refurbished and the bed and pillows are all new and very comfortable. The hotel is located right on the edge of the beach and that’s certainly a good thing, even if I haven’t had time to meander along the white sand yet!

I’ve stayed in many Four Points Hotels so I am comparing like with like but this hotel, I have to say, feels as if it’s been decorated and furnished by IKEA but that’ll be disparaging to that great Swedish store. Most things about this hotel feel as if they’ve been done on the cheap, starting with the toilet roll holders that keep dropping out, the hand basin that hasn’t been fixed to the vanity top, poor finish with white blobs of silicon on the tiles to the wardrobe doors with handles that are so shallow that you can barely fit the tips of your fingernails in it to pull it open.

I had a suite that came with refrigerator and microwave oven but the hinges on the refrigerator were on the right which meant you had to open the door towards yourself and then walk around the door to access the refrigerator! Why could they not realise that if the hinges were on the left side, you could just open the door and access the contents directly?

Service! Now in my opinion, this is the differentiator that makes the difference between a good hotel and a great hotel! It also makes the difference between a good hotel and a poor one. What do you call the service when you need to remind the staff three times about something to get it done?

I’d like to think that because this is a new hotel and the staff is relatively new, they still need to iron a few of the kinks out?

The staff in the Eatery on the ground floor are clearly out of their depth when it came to coping with a large crowd but then I feel that the number of uncontrolled children running around didn’t do anything to help! Service could definitely be improved here as when I go for breakfast there; I need to ask staff to clear a table for me. The quality of the food here is not as good as other hotels and the guava and orange juice are pretty watery. I later had lunch here and by the time the drinks arrived, we had all but finished our meal.

There should, in my opinion, be a bit more control or rules for the guests who feel they like to swim in the pool fully dressed and of course, not use the shower before entering the pool. This really put me off going into the pool as it seemed like these guests were using it to wash their clothes! Then these same fully clothed guests then walk from the pool dripping in water, through the lobby, sitting on the seats there making them too wet for anyone even remotely dry to sit. Not satisfied with this, they then go into the lifts still dripping with water, hence making a mess of the floor in the lift and lobby floor and causing it to be really slippery.
It might be argued that this is their custom, to be so inconsiderate of other guests or they could consider me to be inconsiderate not accepting their boorish behaviour or it could be the staff who allow these guests to behave in this manner. It’s not because this is Malaysia as I haven’t seen this in any of the other hotels where I stay.

There were a lot of children at this hotel this week so it seems more like a family hotel rather than a business hotel.

More plusses though, the laundry service is efficient and inexpensive, only 8 MYR to dry-clean my trousers and I could always retreat to my comfortable bed and pillows and inexpensive room service! Strange that the hotel doesn’t have the Penang specialty of char Kway Teow on the menu though?

A big plus to the fellow looking after the car park for finding a car park for me in what is obviously too small a car park for the hotel size!

So a hotel with plusses but also minuses that I feel need to be addressed.

Room Tip: I stayed in two rooms here, 158 and 352 with the latter being the suite. Both faced the pool and be...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank RayC888
Kurt V, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Penang, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Hi there RayC888 and thank you for staying with us.
I am very sorry to read that we did not meet your expecations with regards to the design and the furniture. On the servie side of things, we are increasing our training, so that we can offer better and more attentive service in the restaurant.
On a more postive note, I'm very happy to read that you like the overall facility and location as well as the good laundry service and our honest in-room dining prices.
And lastly, thank you for pointing out the good service from our security agent who took care of your car. You are correct, our car-park is limited however we do offer valet service at no charge.
Thank you for sharing your feed-back with us and looking forward to welcome you back soon.
Meanwhile, Happy Holidays - Kurt.
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

Have lots of expectations before going there but this new hotel needs lots of room for improvement instead.

- No separate Q for elite members and at time the Q system was a bit chaotic. The front office staff was generally friendly but could have a better Q system.

- Room readiness was poor due to high occupancy rate. The staff took a long time to locate the room type reserved even at 6.00pm check-in time.

- The breakfast was almost a disaster. No host to bring guest to the table and left everyone "fighting" for the table. Total chaotic which I have not seen anywhere else .

- Housekeeping was poor - Non delivery of bath towel upon request and "Do not disturb" sign went missing without replacement. "New" kettle leaking which created safety hazard to the guest.

- Parking is really nightmare in this hotel. One needs to pray hard to find a parking lot when driving back to the hotel.

Granted that this is a newly opened hotel, one would expect some teething problems but there are simply too many. The recovery service offered was commendable but came in too little too late, and the poor experience at the breakfast continues.

I sincerely hope that the management can take some serious actions to address these problems in a hotel which is otherwise nice and cosy.

Room Tip: Room with oceanrfront view
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hi there Ultrakenzo and thank you for posting a review on your stay.
I am very sorry to read that we missed out on the aspects you pointed out. The room allocation should defenitely be a fast process, especially after 6pm.
As for the breakfast, I will look into this as usually we do have a hostess that helps to usher the guests to the table and I am sorry that this was not the case on that day.
Lastly, I have increased the staffing levels in our housekeeping department so to ensure requests are dealt with promptly.
I sincerely hope I can welcome you back again soon, so that we can convince you of the improvements made.
Thank you and Happy Holidays - Kurt.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

The hotel is located along the main road and thus can be spotted easily. Getting to the hotel is quite easy,location wise it's unbeatable to me as you can head down to Gurney area and city centre within short distance provided traffic is good. The first problem I encountered upon my arrival was finding a parking. Then everytime we go out and come back we had the same parking finding 'adventures' to do, it was totally annoying again you know you got no choice but to deal with it. Check in was smooth, front desk staff were friendly. Room was nice and bed was especially comfortable, I loved it. However both the keycards were unable to activate the electricity in the room, went down to reception and the staff rectified it. Then found out some irresponsible guest locked the electronic safe when we wanted to use it. Called the customer service 5-6 times but maintenance manager was not around to fix it and we ended up carrying all our laptops and valuables as we were going out. I think the hotel staff should check all the amenities before clearing it for the next guest to save such unnecessary hassles. But thumbs up for the friendly staff & security.Overall, I liked the hotel just because for the promo price I paid.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TriLpyp
Kurt V, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Penang, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Hi there TriLpyp and thank you for visiting us.
Thank you also for posting a review on your stay. Happy to read that you liked the location. We're very sorry that the opening of the safe was overlooked upon arrival and that also the key-card was de-activated during your stay. I have already purchased higher-quality key-cards that will retain the code to the room for a longer period, which will hopefully eliminate this issue.
On a more positive note, thank you for recognizing the friendliness of our associates, specifically security.
Hope to see you again soon, meanwhile, Happy Holidays.
Shah Alam, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

We had 2 night stays on 14-16 december. The deluxe seaview room is superb. I like d fact d bed and pillow is super comfy, the room is clean and no funny smells...thanx for not using too much carpet in the room. Aircond functioning well. Toilet will be better if its bigger and have bath tub. Parking is an issue but manageable. Breakfast is great with lots of choices. I had ordered fried rice frm room service but the rice is tasteless. Overall i enjoyed my stay and will recommend to my friends

Room Tip: Request for seaview
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hi there and thank you for posting a review of your stay.
Thank you also on your feed-back about the rice, I will look into this and improve the quality.
Looking forward to welcome you back and wishing you Happy Holidays.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tanjung Bungah
Lone Pine Hotel
Lone Pine Hotel
#6 of 12 in Batu Ferringhi
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,386 reviews

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Penang? Share your experiences!