“Pleasant stay. Room for improvement” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Four Points by Sheraton Penang

Four Points by Sheraton Penang
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Tanjung Bungah
Singapore, null, Singapore
“Pleasant stay. Room for improvement”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

Overall stay was pleasant. Nice location and view, about 5 - 10 minutes drive to gurney plaza. I have stayed in both the normal premium room and deluxe sea view room. The additional top up was definitely worth it. Sea view experience was great. Room were newly refurbished and contemporary.

On the other hand, there is definitely room for improvement in service quality. Through observations, the team seems unorganized and having difficulties in delivering customer needs (Eg. Checking for room status, ordering for room service,understanding customer questions). Another comment i would add on, in regards to the shower area. Bathroom tends to get wet when anyone went for a shower even with the floor mat on. The partition was not covering the entire showering area.

Room service experience was not up to expectation. We ordered the continental breakfast (expected to serve with croissant, muffins, fruit danish, etc) and omelette (expected to serve with bacon, chicken ham, tomatoes, hash brown, etc). Turns out i receive only an omelette and a basket of plain breads with butter. Its disappointing, I made several inquiries and was not given an answer. Anyway, I am satisfied with other dining room service dishes i ordered over the few days (Eg. Eatery fried rice, Fried Mee, Hot apple crunch, pancake and waffle) and have no problem with them.

I am fully aware that this is a new hotel (new management team) and the fact it's a SPG category 1 hotel. Give them a couple more months and I am quite confident the management team would be able to make improvement on areas noted.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Kurt V, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Penang, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Hi there and thank you very much for visiting us and for posting a review.
Thank you also for your comments about your in-room dining experience. I will address this so to be able to offer a better experience throughout.
Thank you once again and looking forward to welcoming you back again.
Kurt.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Penang recently welcomed its first Four Points by Sheraton and with opening offers ongoing, I decided to book a room for a night. I was transiting through Penang and had a day and a night to spend so I found myself at the hotel's footprint in Tanjung Bungah, somewhat in between Georgetown and Feringghi Beach (which unless you drive, and I didn't, isn't a terribly convenient location). The Four Points was formerly another resort/hotel so the building itself isn't new but everything inside feels nice and new to me but I can't quite wrap myself around the decision behind the drab external paint job.

I arrived at around 1pm and checking in was a bit of a chore. A couple of staff were there to welcome arrivals and they pointed me to the check-in desks but it's not clear which of the two are for checking in versus checking out. It was a slow check-in but I'm guessing the staff are still getting to grips with the system and there was a huge group check-in being processed. Still, shouldn't be that hard to check one person in.

I booked a premiere room but was given one on the first floor which overlooked the swimming pool. Although not totally unpleasant, I would gather that this will be among the poorer choices for sea-view rooms. All I see are coconut trees and the pool can be noisy. The room itself though I have few gripes over. I appreciate the clean almost neutral aesthetics with touches of colour, and everything was functional. Laminate and tile floors with a large rug was welcomed but floors were a bit sticky. Could be better cleaned.

My priority for a good hotel room boils down to the bed, the bathroom, and then the TV and the Four Points score on all 3 accounts. The bed is nice and cozy, firm but with enough give but more importantly dressed with four good sized pillows. Sleep was easy and comfortable.

There's also everything you'd expect from a good hotel room from complimentary bottled water, coffee/tea making facilities, an in-room safe, good-sized TV with lots of channels but more conveniently loads of power sockets. There were 7 in all and very strategically placed - 2 by the bed, 1 by the seating area, and another two at the desk. And oh, WiFi is speedy and easy to access - no cumbersome logins required.

The bathroom is decent with everything working as it should and decent toiletries. The size would be the major annoyance. It needn't be big but the way it's designed has the open door edge right by the toilet bowl and the shower enclosure will have you banging against either the wall or the glass if you move about too much. Not a major issue but one that detracts a bit from an otherwise great space.

The hotel has a pool and a fitness centre, neither of which I had the inclination to check-out. I had a good view of the pool though from my room and it looks compelling enough but quickly fills with kids when the weather is accommodating.

The hotel fronts the sea and has a small beach access. There is a small-ish but comfortable deck which looks out upon the ocean.

I tried to find lunch but the only food court within walking distance from the hotel opens only in the evening so I had to eat in the hotel itself. The lobby-facing 'Eatery' serves a range of cuisine but boasts wood-fire oven baked pizzas.I ordered a salad and satay instead which was tasty enough but took ages to arrive. Prices were alright.

Room Tip: Higher floors are nicer and avoid the wing that fronts the pool for a better ocean view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank danjumbuck
Kurt V, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Penang, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Hi there and thank you for staying with us! Thank you also for posting a comprehensive review of your experience at our hotel. We hope to see you again very soon.
Best Regards - Kurt.
Penang Island, Malaysia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

It's the first SPG hotel ever opened in Penang. I was excited prior to my stay but my high expectations let me down.

Check in was fine maybe because I arrived during the late afternoon. I get to witness the crazy scene on next day when everyone arrived at 3pm wanted to get a room and the front desk staffs were all overwelmed and seem to be struggling.
Hotel manager Kurt is able to address me on first day but couldn't regconize me on the next day. (ha!)

I was originally given a lower floor room but after requested to change I was then switched to a higher floor room. I then noticed the difference when comparing ROOM A to ROOM B. ROOM A has no cushions, an iron was placed in iron in wardrobe but no ironing board, no tea cups. Attention to details were lacking.

Bathrobes were not provided despite being a 4-star worldwide chain.Paper-thin in room slippers felt cheap. Mini bar was empty. Guest can purchase the party pack of beers/snacks/soft drinks by contacting Room Service.
I can't help but wonder if it is the Malaysian hotel culture that the management has to do all these to prevent theft and exploit.

Bed was comfortable. You get 2 feather/down and 2 foam pillows.I especially love the silky Four Points pinwheel signature duvet cover. Bath room amenities were limited, you get 1 shampoo, 1 conditioner, 1 bath gel. Cottonbud, Body Lotion and Shaver can be requested through housekeeping. Sanitary bag and laundry bag not provided. Shower comes with good water pressure but glass partition was not there to keep the bathroom dry. So beware! Many will find the towels not absorbent, as it seems to repel water rather than absorb it. Reason being is because it's NEW!

Only one dustbin available in bathroom. None under writing desk in room.

One thing most new hotels tend to neglect, is the labelling on room switches. It can be frustrating turning on and off all switches just to figure out which is which before you finally can go to bed.

I did not use the swimming pool. Maybe due to the reason there's only few chairs set up and the surrounding is uninviting. From the room you can see the pool is located next to a junk area of a property next door.

Finally, the major let down - Hotel Safety.

Eventhough it offers complimentary Self-Parking facilities but parking lot is very limited. No reserved lot for hotel guest. No security kiosk was set up so vehicles are not screened to enter the hotel. The carpark is not well lit at night. There's an empty compound currently being used as carpark. But it has no light at night. And I don't remember seeing any security guards on the premises.

The worst is, I'm shocked to find out that room key security system is not installed in the elevators. Which means guestroom floors are not restricted to guest only. This is a very serious flaw and I'm extremely disappointed a worldwide hotel chain can overlook this.

At this stage, I cannot recommend this hotel if safety measure is your concern.

Room Tip: get a sea view room with no obstructed views.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank Kodansha
Hi there and thank you for visiting us.
Thank you also for posting your review with your comments about your experience. It is through comments from valuable guests like you that we are able to detect our flaws and to correct so to be able to offer better service. Rest assured that I am addressing the issues.
Hoping to welcome you again soon, I remain with best regards,
Kurt.
Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

The only good thing about this hotel is that it's very new and the rooms are clean.

Check in:
The service upon check in was very slow and there were only 2 service counters open (this is the max) and there were so many people surrounding the guest service counters because they were getting impatient waiting.

Room:
The laminated flooring can still be removed as they were not stuck securely. Calling the room service led to no one picking up the phone around 5pm. Things that were lacking were disposable shaver and laundry bag.

At 7.37am, we were woken up by 3 loud knocking at the door asking us if we had luggages to be checked out! Come on, isn't that too early to be calling the guests???

Pool:
It's a very small pool and the beach is also very small because the location is at Tanjong Bungah and not Batu Ferrighi where the better beaches are located.

Conclusion
Don't think we will come back here again.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Slam77
Kurt V, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Penang, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Hi there and thank you for posting your review.
I am sorry to learn about the service defects. I have already made arrangments to add more terminals at the front desk so that we can provide better service. I am currently addressing and prioritizing the other issues so that we can ensure a flawless guest experience throughout. Thank you very much for visiting us and I sincerely hope that in time you may review your decision and return back to us. If your travel plans lead you back to Penang, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Thank you - Kurt Vieren.
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

This hotel has been refurbished and opened on the 01st October 2013. Looks New and Fresh. Rooms are very nice and can get a room with the sea view. The hotel restaurant serves a range of dishes. You can go down the beach of the hotel where you can find many shells. The children would love collecting the different types shells, so will the adults. Its a very relaxing environment and good service and friendly staff at the hotel !!! Enjoyed the stay here very much!

Room Tip: Rooms on the sea side view! Boleh laaa!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Mcsc422013
Kurt V, Front Office Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Penang, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Hi there and thank you very much for visiting us.
We are very happy that you had a great stay with us and I'm particularly happy that you are commenting on the friendliness of our associates.
Looking much forward to welcome you again soon.
Kurt Vieren.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

My friends and I managed to get a good rate as my friend was an SPG member. Our stay was from the 6th to the 8th of Oct. We drove and reached the hotel around 3pm and I was instantly welcomed by the breeze in the very spacious and clean lobby.

Check in took awhile as the receptionist seemed alittle new. We were also greeted by Kurt, whom we later found was the GM of the hotel. We were asked if we wanted our welcome drink which we kindly declined. However we thought that it'll be good to serve the welcome drink while the guests are waiting for the keys.

We got our key cards and headed to the room, but the card didn't work. I then headed to the front desk and told the staff, who followed me to the room and tried it himself, but it still didn't work. He went to have the room changed while we waited outside our room. Another staff then came up 10 minutes later and brought us to our new room which was sea facing. we were excited but again, the key card didn't work. We got alittle impatient as the new paint smell was getting onto us so we went down again to wait instead.

Soon, the first staff who helped us with the check in, brought us to a new room (not sea facing) and this time, the key card worked! :) Our welcome drinks were also sent to our room which was nice, because they even served our friends who are not staying. However, we believed the housekeeping was not done properly as we realised there was no toilet paper,tissue paper and dustbin. The carpet was also not vacuummed as there was bits of nescafe wrapper on the floor.
We were greeted again by Kurt when we here heading out, who asked if our room was ok. We told him about the lack of toiletries and cleanliness of the room and he assured us that he will get it done, he even remembered out room number without us telling! I was impressed :)

We had dinner and it was already dark when we came back. We were delightfully surprised and puzzled as we saw a bottle of wine in our room with a handwritten letter by Kurt. He must have figured that we drink as there was bottles of alcohol my friend got from the DFS store. Toiletries were replenished, carpet was vacuumed. However, the dustbin was still not in the room but we decided to use our mini trashbags first as we were tired. The bed was really comfortable and we had a good night's rest that night.

Dustbins were quickly given to us the next day as soon as they arrived the hotels, believe the stock arrived late which explains the lack of dustbins in the room. There were a few other hiccups but are minor, nothing to serious so i shall skip that.

All in all, we had an enjoyable stay at the hotel and would love to come back again and try the seaview rooms during our next visit to Penang.

Location: A ride to the city or to Batu Ferrangi was merely 15-20mins away by car though it was slightly further away from the airport.

Room Tip: Try to request for a seaview room
3 Thank gwenned
Kurt V, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Penang, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Hi there Gwenned and thank you very much for sharing your experience with us.
I am very sorry about the initial hiccup with the defect room lock and I'm very appreciative for your cooperation and understanding. Also, we have now placed dustbins in all our rooms, I'm sorry that this was not there yet when you arrived.
Hopefully we will have the pleasure to welcome you and your friends back again soon.
Meanwhile, very best regards - Kurt Vieren.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

Slightly off the city centre, it is strategically located beside a beach. Like their simple, contemporary design and friendly staff. But we had to wait for 20 mins or so to check in because they could not locate available room during check in period. The swimming pool and restaurants are located at the ground floor, same as the open concept lobby and reception area. The room is well furnished and clean. There is free wifi for hotel guests and the connection is pretty good.

Despite all that, we were surprised that there was no dustbin in the room. Not a single one at sight, even in the bathroom. Besides that, the bath towels were great; soft and all but they were the most non-absorbent towel we have ever used.

All in all, apart from the check in hiccup and bath towel, we liked this hotel. It is ideal for those who seek for quiet time since it is located far from the city centre.

Room Tip: Room with sea view.
3 Thank yoononn
Kurt V, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Penang, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Hi Yoononn,
Thank you very much for visiting us and for your review. We experienced a delay in the delivery of our dustbins which now has been rectified. I"m also very sorry for the hiccup during your arrival. Hopefully this won't hold you from returning back to us in the future. Meanwhile, looking forward to welcome you back.
Kurt Vieren.
Lone Pine Hotel
Lone Pine Hotel
#6 of 12 in Batu Ferringhi
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,383 reviews

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Penang? Share your experiences!