“Saved by the sea view.”

Flamingo Hotel by the Beach, Penang
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Tanjung Bungah
Reviewed February 13, 2013

If there is no sea view, this hotel would be a minor 'disaster'.

This was an old hotel refurbished, renamed and possibly under a new management. We think we may have stayed there before under its old name.

This time we stayed 5D/5N over the Lunar New Year holiday. We booked because of the sea view.

Rather typical of seaside hotels, the bedroom floor is tiled, not carpeted. However disposable bedroom slippers were provided.

Facilities included electric kettle w coffee/tea, safe, flat tv, hair dryer, complimentary drinking water and a not too effective free wi-fi.

Maintenance was rather poor. Hooks were either missing a screw or about to fall off. Indeed the hook for the bath towel fell off on our last morning.

The wash basin was blocked, and was cleared only on our third day. The knob of the toilet faucet kept coming off.

Although the bedroom is large, no large drawers were provided.

Other minus points were: no body lotion, no cotton wool, no separate shampoo and conditioner. But bath gel, soaps, toothbrushes, cotton applicators, two-in-one shampoo conditioner were provided.

Breakfast (7am-10:30am) is part of the deal, but obviously the cafe cannot cope with a full house. Many guests were observed to have come down at about the same time. As a result, food and plates and glasses ran out very quickly. It became self fulfilling as guests snatched up plates, glasses, and scooped up heaps of food as they were replenished.

The upper buffet area began to resemble a Tokyo railway station with people milling around. I was worried that somebody might spill hot coffee on me.

To their credit the cafe 'press ganged' personnel from other departments to help. Still the kitchens could not replenish fast enough.

Perhaps the management should consider, during peak season, setting an extra buffet area, effectively dividing the crowd and providing twice as much food as presently. Unless it is a problem with capacity in the kitchen.

Because of the peak season, the hotel also ran out of car parking slots; what was most inconvenient was that one had to drive all the way down to the two basement floors only to discover that there were no more slots. However there were extra spaces provided at a side lane which I believe led to the staff car park.

The swimming pool is another 'problem'. Guests fully covered in street clothes with headscarfs, could swim. Surely it is a matter of hygiene to disallow that.

But what I like best, other than the sea view, are the two ironing rooms provided on the 6th and 14th floor. At least I dont have to wear crumpled clothes.

Room Tip: Any sea view is superb.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sweetafton
Flamingo2009, General Manager at Flamingo Hotel by the Beach, Penang, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. It is with sincere regret to read your comments and dissatisfaction about our poor service which I agree with you. You can be rest assured that I will look into the matter with my team for immediate improvement.
Once again, I thank you for your feedback and support and look forward to welcoming you in the near future. If we can be of assistance to you please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Thank you and have a great day!

Best Regards,
Ong Hai Leong
Flamingo Hotel by the beach Penang.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed over the Xmas New Year break,2012/13 we found the staff very friendly and helpful. We wished we had been told about the courtesy bus that took you to Batu Feranghi and Georgetown we only found this out by another guest after a few days. We used the buses which we found useful as the taxis are expensive and not readily available. The room was spacious, clean and had a great view of the beach and surrounding area. The only complaint was the quality of the linen it could have been of better quality for a 4 star hotel.
I objected to some of the guests who swam fully clothed because of their culture. I feel it is a health issue and should not be allowed by the hotel.
We had dinner in the hotel (seafood buffet) which was very nice and the staff were brilliant.
If we went back to Penang we would probably stay in Batu Feranghi closer to the restaurants and nite markets. .

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank syburr
Reviewed January 21, 2013

As other posters have stated - this is not a 4 star hotel (Don't believe the website - its all show). It is 3 at very best.
Myself, wife and 2 teenagers stayed for 5 days over Christmas 2012. The Hotel is located near the Floating Mosque and I think they must "pich" it heavily in the middle east or to locals who want to be near the mosque as there were few westerners in the hotel. We picked it because of the location, being half way between Bate Feranghi beaches and Georgetown. In fact we could have stayed at Batu Feranghi which was just 5 mins up the road by taxi. Getting Taxi's was a constant problem. Taxi's did not want to come there so many times we walked down the road until we could hail one - sometimes this took 30 mins. In the humid heat this was no picnic.
The rooms (we had a 2 bedroom 'waterviews' suite) were large and the views were good but the furniture was very tired. On arrival I tried to upgrade at the Front Desk to a 3 bedroom to get nearer to the beach (the 2 bedroom are set back from the beach) but the staff said they were fully booked which could have been the case as it was Christmas. I felt they were a little dismisive and not interested in our requests. The in room safe was broken when we arrived (it looked like it had been attacked with a tyre leaver) and not fixed during our stay.
We were constantly running out of hot water for showers which has never happened to me in a hotel before and my daughters thought this appaling.
There is really nothing within walking distance in relation to shopping or restaurants so we ended up taxing to Batu Feranghi to eat and went shopping in Georgetown. Night Markets at Batu Feranghi were great and plenty of restaurants too. If I was to go to Penang again ( and I think this unlikely as we went on to Vietnam afterwoods and had a fabulous time) I would stay at Bate Feranghi OR Georgetown not in Tanjung Bungah.
The breakfast was adequate (3 star standard) but the staff slow to replace food as it ran out. Waiting staff in restaurant were very plesant and the "Omelet maker" outside saved the day.
All things considered we had a good time but the hotel was not the star of this part of our holiday.

Room Tip: If you want the great views of the sea shown on the website get a 3 bedroom suite on a high floor
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Miliesfriend
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We booked this hotel because every thing else was booked up over the Christmas/New Year period. Upon arriving, it seemed very familiar and it turns out it used to be known as the Crown Prince Hotel.

The lobby has high ceilings and is spacious and has a great view of the sea and so makes a first good impression. Service is brisk and competent, not particularly warm and friendly. Our room was a good size - bed was huge and more than sufficient for us and baby. Our 5 year old got an extra roll on bed which cost us RM65 extra per night. Even with an extra bed there was lots of space in the room.

Furnishings weren't anything to shout about (in fact, verging on the need for some refurbishment) though everything was relatively clean. Floor was tiled which immediately gave the impression of a less than 4 star hotel though to be fair, maintaining carpets with a beach front location would be an uphill task.

We had the garden view room with a view which was actually quite pleasant though having stayed in the sea view rooms before, those are the ones to really go for if available as they don't seem to cost more.

Ours was an adjoining room (as it had connecting doors to the adjoining rooms) and this maybe had an impact on the noise level - certainly our neighbours sounded like they had 10 kids in their room and were moving furniture all night long. So if you have kids, best to avoid those.

Breakfast came with the room and the buffet was packed every morning, no doubt because of the time of year. We were hard pressed to find seats, and ended up sitting outside which turned out to be quite pleasant (though it got hotter as the morning went on). The buffet had an alright spread with decent choice for all tastes but the staff took a long time to refill the chafing dishes so we were constantly just waiting for our food.

The kids were at the pool everyday but we weren't really inspired to swim ourselves as people were eating their breakfast all around. The beach was nearby but busy with constant para gliding activity and fully dressed, non swimming families walking around, so not conducive for a quiet sun tanning/relaxing session.

Maybe it was because the hotel was full, but some hotels manage to still give you the impression of having some private space despite that. Not the Flamingo.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank seasluggish
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Staff not welcoming, rooms are not at all clean, bathroom had mould on tiles, had to ask housekeeping to use a scrubbing brush & disinfectant & guess what it came off. Bed linen seemed dirty as did the hotel. Breakfast was not inviting & fresh, everything looked dirty which put me off my breakfast. We had booked & paid in full to stay 6 nights, we checked out after 3 nights, booked in at The Park Royal, wish we did that initially, you live & learn. We
then returned home had discovered that we left our BOSE dock at Flamingo, I called the hotel immediatley at which I was told nothing had been handed in, but to my surprise the Manager then called to say he had 'found' it & was going to charge me a holding fee, now that's what I call customer service NOT. I will NOT be recommending this hotel to anyone, go to Park Royal, even better if your budget allows go to Golden Sands.

Room Tip: Don't book here
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank ann w
Reviewed January 10, 2013

The best thing about this hote is the view, that's it .. the view. Our room overlooked the pool and beach. There was no bell boy to help with our luggage on arrival.. not a good first impression. When we got to our room we had to call reception as it was'nt clean. Just about every day we had to call reception as housekeeping forgot to refill something every day (coffee, water etc or the room had'nt been cleaned properly). I felt that instead of relaxing I was focussing on what "had'nt been cleaned / re-filled" every morning. There is no exhaust fan in the bathroom, which turns into a sauna if you shower with the door closed! We specifically asked for a room not near the the elevator, as the corridors are tiled and you can hear every footstep and door close. This hotel was filled with children, some running up the corridors as late as 10.30pm with no consideration for other guests. If something didn't work it took days to get fixed, and I found I was constantly following-up. There is a hair dryer in the bathroom but no power point if the guys need to use an electric razor. There are no brochures in the rooms on what to do or see while in Penang. DO NOT GET YOUR LAUNDRY DONE THROUGH THE HOTEL .. half of mine was NOT laundered, and after many complaints I only paid half the laundry bill. Handwash instead & hang your clothes over the chairs on the balcony. The pool area was full of muslims swimming fully clothed. Breakfast was average. The lobby shop was reasonably priced. Avoid using the hotel beauty salon, they are rude and you have to pay for your treatment up front, no doors on rooms and they take personal calls whilst doing your treatment. Very unprofessional. The hairdresser was good though as was the gym and pool. There is a fantastic Indian restaurant across the road. The location was ok although to get up to Batu Ferenghi for the night markets could take up to and hour to travel 8kms because of roadworks and the traffic so be prepared to wait. Most hotels have a free shuttle to take you up so no need to take a taxi. I took a look at the Park Royal & nearly cried, wish I had of stayed there instead regardless of the extra cost.

Room Tip: Unfortunatley no matter where your room is situated the tiled corridors carry noise .. so if you wan...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Donna M
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Certainly NOT a four stars hotel, impressive from outside, well situated on the beach, swimming pool ok but muslim people swimming fully dressed !? not enought transat by the pool and not much either by the beach side, the pool closes at 8pm !!!!!
The room sold as " deluxe " is a standard and basic room with very poor amenities , not very clean and the mountain view face the opposit building !!!! I do not recommand that hotel .

Room Tip: Mountain view rooms faces opposite building !!!!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Hotel Sentral Seaview, Penang
#1 of 2 in Tanjung Tokong
3 mi away
PARKROYAL Penang Resort, Malaysia

Been to Flamingo Hotel by the Beach, Penang? Share your experiences!