“Wonderful” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Tanjung Bungah
Melbourne, Australia
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

Don't really understand where all the negative reviews are coming from, people need to stop looking in the back corner for mould at this hotel and get out and enjoy themselves because it was amazing for us! Reception were friendly and always helpful. Restaurant staff also extremely friendly. Bar staff outstanding - one particular lady was so so helpful and friendly. Room was spacious, clean, modern. Not sure where people were finding apparent cracks and mould in other reviews I read. Pool bar was nice, again extremely friendly staff. Loads of facilities including day spa, hairdressers and convenience stores all within hotel. Dinner menu had variety and the food was good. The only negative was breakfast, not a great set up. We didn't care though because we have great memories of the overall experience and if in Penang again we would stay here.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Flamingo2009, General Manager at Flamingo Hotel by the Beach, Penang, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Greetings From Flamingo Hotel By The Beach Penang!

We are pleased to read your massage and great feedback. It is really nice to know our guests have appreciated the friendliness of our staff.

We strive to make each of our valued guest stay in memorable as the principle goal of ours hotel is to provide dependable services to all ours guest.

It will be our pleasure to welcoming you back to Flamingo Hotel By The Beach Penang again in the near future. If we can ever be of assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact us directly.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Ong Hai Leong
Flamingo Hotel By The Beach Penang

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed at 2 bedroom suite. The suite was just OK. I think it was renovated not a long time ago, but the finishing quality wasn't good, wardrobe's door hanging loose, water leakage sign on the ceiling, aircon temperature control not working, water heater in one of the bathrooms wasn't working properly...
A bathroom in every bedroom, but no bathtub.
The view from balconies (there are 3 balconies) were pretty good. I think the 2 bedroom suite always face the water (but better check with the hotel).
Beach is always busy with watersport activities, the annoying jetski was always there to make noise pollution, parasailing landing always got you to keep moving to give space/way..

What really got me was the service at the front desk
- They made no effort to service you
- They were polite but curt and not hospitable
We arrived at the hotel pretty late with a sleepy and grumpy 1 year old. I called the hotel from a week ago to book for babycot and requested them to set it up, only to be told by reception lady that she would call housekeeping for babycot and she did. When I told her i requested the cot to be setup beforehand and asked her to tell housekeeping to be quick about it, she just replied, didn't you hear I already call the housekeeping (nice one !!!)
This is not the worse...
My parents were supposed to arrive and check in in this hotel 1 hr later but due 6 hrs flight delay, they were only going to check in the following day around 3am.
I sensed trouble, so I called the reception to make sure that the room under my parent is kept and that their flight was delay. They didn't bother checking the room reservation but gave a generic answer, if there's booking and the guess still come no matter how late, we will accept them.
Surely enough, when my parents arrived, they were told that no booking under their name (despite showing them agoda hotel voucher) at 3am in the morning, my parent had to put up with the incompetent receptionist. Only after the duty manager came and checked the system and looked at the agoda hotel voucher, everything was resolved. The receptionist only said they were late !!! so no booking for their name on today's date (ARE THEY REALLY THAT STUPID ??? READ AGODA HOTEL VOUCHER). My parent only managed to be in their room at 4am in the morning (took them 1 hour to sort this out)
There were few minor other things, but what I mentioned above should give you a picture.

If you after hussle and bussle the location of this hotel is not ideal. there's not much around other than 2 restaurants and a mini market across the street.
But the plus point is there's a bus stop in front of this hotel and you can easily go to georgetown or batu feringgi by bus. Check internet for the bus number (notice I didn't say check with the reception...just not sure if you will get the correct bus number... you should but who knows...internet is more reliable and there's wifi everywhere in this hotel, which I must say a pluspoint.

If I went back to penang... will I stay here again ? hmmmm.... NO

btw, you'll see a kids club in their facilities, but it's not free... it's 10ringgit per child per hour

if you are wondering why I picked this hotel in the first place. I wanted to stay in tanjung bungah which is in between georgetown and batu feringgi, to be able to be close to both locations, and in tanjong bungah area this hotel is rated no.1

Room Tip: if you must stay in this hotel, I suppose get the beach view room...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Ifrinm
Flamingo2009, General Manager at Flamingo Hotel by the Beach, Penang, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
It is very sincere regret to read your comments and dissatisfaction about our poor service which I regret with you, was unacceptable and I would like to offer my most apologies.

Your comments regarding the poor service from our associates has been particular well noted and for this there is no excuse.

We take pride of our service and attention to detail towards our valuable guests and I was surprised that we were not up to your standard during your stay. We take all feedbacks seriously and would appreciate if you could sent us an email to bc@flamingo.com.my or generalpg@flamingo.com.my for more information.

Thank so much for your feedback. If we ever be of assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact us directly.

Best Regards ,

Ong Hai Leong
Flamingo Hotel By The Beach Penang

Travelers are raving about these Tanjung Bungah hotels

HKng Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

good things:
breakfast is good and many choices. room is big. very near to beach. quite noisy at night becoz near is one temple keep on loud music (not sure if festival during the easter holiday.)

Bad things:
room is old, the bathroom environment is poor esp the shower head cannot be hold,need to be hold by hand even complain but no solutions.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

I have always liked this hotel (even before the current operator took over) for its location and the size of its rooms. My personal favourite is of course, the sea-view rooms.

What I always find disappointing though, is the level of service provided by the staff, from front desk to F & B.

Anyway, here is a summary of what I like and dislike about the hotel:

What I like:

1. As mentioned above, whether it is a superior or standard room, they are all spacious and have large beds. I also like that the floor is tiled and not carpeted, this being a hotel by the beach so it really makes sense.

2. Unless you are into the crowded scene at Batu Ferringhi, this hotel offers an ideal location for those who want easy access to the city or a trip to Ferringhi. If you are driving, there is always ample parking space.

3. At the current rates it is offering, I would say that they are all value for money. This considering that it is a hotel by the beach after all, and one that offers reasonably good facilities.

What I don't like:

1. The shower is one of the most poorly designed that I have ever seen! There is neither a shower curtain nor a door so you end up splashing water all over the bathroom floor. In my experience, the bathroom has not been cleaned satisfactorily because I found hair, sand and dust trapped in various corners.

2. The beach is also accessible by the public so there isn't as much privacy as you'd expect from a hotel like this. I only use the swimming pool because of this reason.

3. Breakfast arrangement, especially when it is peak season is quite frustrating. There is never enough tables or food to go around, unless you start at 7.00 am. The serving staff are usually too nonchalant to care. However, I must say that they are ok when the restaurant is not full.

4. Ironing facilities are not provided in the rooms and are only available at two floors. This is very troublesome and to add insult to injury, they are not always in the best condition. I hope the management will consider making this available at every floor instead of just two for the entire hotel.

5. Finally, the service provided from the front desk, to housekeeping and F & B needs to be better than it is now. I don't know if the complacency is due to the fact that the hotel has high occupancy rate (as observed in all my visits) or something else.

Overall, this is not a bad hotel, whether you are a business traveller or on holiday. All it needs to do is tighten those loose ends and it is good to go.

Room Tip: You can still get a semi-seaview room with a hillview room rate if you ask for one at the end of the...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank seafragrance
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights.

Room: quite spacious, two large supersingle bed combined, so that makes it even bigger than king bed. Mattress and pillows were good. Bed accomodated 4 of us easily
Toilet:clean but fixtures are falling apart, need toilet renovation

Lobby: nice

View: nice view though our room was not sea facing, we still got some seaview

Pool: Quite nice with jacuzzi

Gym: did not try

Breakfast: quite a few spread, but did not like the local food, which was not up to the quality

Location: nice, not so crowded like Batu Feringhi, easy access to Batu Feringhi and Downtown by Rapid Penang bus 101 and 102 which stops just in front of the hotel

Service: good, reception staff were nice, porter were quick to get our luggage from the car, when there was problem with TV, technician came right away.

So, I prefer to stay in Tanjung Bungah as it is less crowded and with easy access to Georgetown and Batu Feringhi. Will stay there again.

Room Tip: Select a sea facing
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank zux123
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

It's the second time to me at that hotel the 1st one was good the offer me good room with amazing view, also serve me good. that time they depressed me i got a bad room with damaged wash basin, I ask to change the room they try to fix it & and they can't after about 1 hour & with my insist they change the room but also its not cleaned well.

Room Tip: high rooms behined elevators in left side
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aomario
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for a night on the 6th floor. My room was facing the ocean. Room is clean and comfortable. However, the shower has one temperature only. HOT. It was quite difficult to shower. Overall the bathroom is clean.

What i didnt like was the room's wifi is so weak. You cant seem to get any signal while you lie on the bed. I have to go all the way to the main door just to receive some signal. For better signal, you have to stand outside in the hallway like some crazy person. Might as well use the wifi facility in the warm lobby. I think they should really improve on this.

• Stayed September 2012
Holiday Inn Resort Penang
#5 of 12 in Batu Ferringhi
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,098 reviews
Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La

Been to Flamingo Hotel by the Beach, Penang? Share your experiences!