Shoreline Mumbles Hotel
The Alexander(Swansea)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsgreat locationsea viewa bit tiredroom was cleanb bsmall kettlecouncil runnice family roomstaying at this hotelper daycar park across the roadsummer monthschildren's play areabunk bedsamazing breakfaststayed here for one nightlovely guesthouse
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is well maintained with a very friendly welcome and the breakfast was excellent and very generous.
We had a room at the rear which was the last one left and was let down by a strong smell of damp. (room 9).
Having read other reviews I suspect our rating would have been higher if another room had been free.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Simon V
Reviewed August 7, 2012

When I was looking for a B&B for my parents to stay in last year I asked around and the Shoreline came highly recommended by a colleague whose family always stay in the Shoreline and I (and my parents) were so pleased that I listened to my colleague.

My parents loved staying at the Shoreline so much that they asked me to book it again for them again this year. Chris and Jo are so friendly and welcoming, and nothing is too much trouble. I live around the corner and they said (on both visits) that I could phone my parents at the Hotel and they would happily pass messages on. My sister and I also had breakfast with my parents on their final morning (as we did last year), which was a nice touch.

The Shoreline is great value for money and has lovely views in the two front bay windows. My parents thoroughly enjoyed their second stay at the Shoreline and are looking forward to visiting again and staying at the hotel.

A big thank you to Chris and Jo for looking after my parents so wonderfully.

Room Tip: Ask for a front room with a bay window. My parents were lucky enough to have the family room, which was a good size and in the front with a bay window.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank penndav09
Reviewed July 1, 2012

My two sisters and I shared the family room on 30th June 2012. The room had 3 single beds which was great for us but ..... Two of the beds were very soft (although comfortable) and the other was very much harder. I took this one and it was like laying on a sheet of chipboard! I managed to sleep for 2 hours and, from then on, we all took turns to swap beds once an hour. I don't think any of us managed to get more than 3 hours sleep each and, to be honest, it was just so awful it became funny! The bathroom was so tiny that when you bent your arm to brush your teeth you banged your elbow on the shower door, the sink was minute, the toilet seat loose and the shower door didn't fit the aperture. The breakfast was plenty big enough but the hotel felt it just needed a bit of love and care including quite a lot of tidying up in the public areas. As we were only paying £99 for bed and breakfast for the three of us, we weren't expecting too much but we thought we'd to be able to get a decent night's sleep! In all fairness, when we complained, the owner apologised and said he'd rectify the problem and also said for us to give him what money we thought was fair.

Room Tip: If you're thinking of booking the family room, please remember to ask if the third bed has been replaced.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lynne T
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We spent two nights at the Shoreline on our drive thru Wales. I had reserved a sea view room earlier in the year based on the reviews and location. We were given room #5 which has the only bay window and overlooks the bay. The hotel could use a little lipstick, but is comfortable, clean and reasonably priced. The hosts (Chris & JoAnne) were friendly and most accommodating. JoAnne personally irons the sheets for all rooms. I love the coolness of ironed sheets!!! Breakfast was hearty and good. The location could not have been better and free parking is located less that a half a block away. I would definitely recommend staying at the Shoreline. Larry & Kelly, Georgetown, TX

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room. Room #5 has a sitting area in a bay window.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank RoseAlee
Reviewed May 5, 2012

This was our second stay at Shoreline - last time with previous owner.

Shoreline is in a fantastic place, and if you have a sea view room, you have a brilliant view across the bay. You're also in a really good location with restaurants either way - CJ's is lively and good and the George has recently been refitted, and also good. Verdi's is where everyone goes to while away the day, and coffee and goodies of high quality.

But back to the Shoreline. Chris was friendly and helpful and our room was pleasant (though small), and clean. There was a small kettle and tea and coffee etc. Being picky, I always travel with my favourite tea, and mini teapot, which made him laugh.

I'm sure you could have a fancier hotel, but if you want value for money - and aren't in the slightest bit pretentious - the Shoreliine ticks a lot of boxes. Whilst not a honeymoon hotel, it's a great place for a base to explore.

Chris couldn't have been more accomodating and helpful. When we said we were in the area for a family funeral, and would need to change, he allowed us to keep the room until noon so we didn't have to wander Mumbles in our funeral finery. It was a kind gesture, that says a lot.

And then there's the breakfast!!! Chris did a wonderful Welsh breakfast - and somehow thought we should also eat cereal and yoghurt too! Oh, so no! He said he did a good breakfast so people wouldn't need to spend on a big lunch, but we didn't need anything til we got home, at nearly 9pm, and then only a snack! The best bacon I've had in a long while! For that, we would return again and again!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple