“Disappointing”

The Mumbles Hotel
The Mumbles Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Mumbles
Reviewed February 1, 2014

This hotel had made a mistake about the date of our booking. We had asked for a downstairs room as we had told them we were travelling with our dog, and were finally offered a room at the front. Although other rooms may be comfortable, ours was cold (we had to ask for a heater) shabby and had an unheated bathroom that looked like a converted scullery and hadn't been cleaned properly in ages. Beds were good, but the duvets were so old they were shrunk and the fasteners were off. Curtains needed cleaning and didn't fit or keep out street lights.

Serving staff were very friendly and helpful and breakfast was adequate, although the hotel does not serve fresh ground coffee.

Although the location is convenient and attractive, parking is a problem here: if there is no space near the hotel you have to park on the seafront and pay hefty charges.

We made a complaint and were given a £10 discount on £150 for two nights. We will not be returning!

Room Tip: Avoid Room 1
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for The Mumbles Hotel

Reviewed November 30, 2013

We stayed here for a couple of nights with friends.
First impressions were that the hotel had sort of got stuck in the eighties with lots of mahogany stained wood and a couple of old Chesterfield leather sofas. The check in staff were very nice though and we had high hopes that we would be put in one of the recently renovated rooms. The good news is that we were indeed put in one such room. The bad news was that it simply wasn't very nice. The stained headboard was a real put off and really needs burning. The bed didn't look very comfortable at all but was actually ok. The telly simply didn't work.
The bathroom was ok apart from the shower head which refused to point anywhere other than down. And why do hotels refuse to put a shelf in the shower for your soap etc? Also what's with the paper floor maps? All they do is annoy you by sticking to your feet. I nearly forgot to mention the horrendous smell from the drains in the bathroom when we first arrived. This went away once we had used the shower a few times so I would suspect something wrong in that area.
The breakfast and breakfast staff were both absolutely top notch and are really the hotels saving grace. If they can get the rest of the hotel to perform to their standards they'd be onto a gold mine.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Tigerpeople
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Threadbare handtowel which we asked to be changed.Faded curtains and duvet cover and a 'dead' mattress. The one shining light during our three night stay was Margaret ,the breakfast staff member who was friendly and efficient. Due to our disappointment we asked for,and received,a
discount on the cost of our stay.The position of the hotel couldn't have been better but our overall experience would not encourage us to revisit this mediocre hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sandra s
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Well I did panic reading other reviews on here but I gotta say its not that bad..yes the rooms need updating and yes a little shabby but if its for one night then I'd definately return here..I'm a very fussy person and if I can stay here then I'm sure you could to..breakfast was lovely no complaints at all..staff couldn't do enough for you..location is very central of the mumbles..overall experience-very happy!! Would I return for for a night stay YES!!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Adequate is the word I would use to sum up our stay at The Mumbles (formerly The Carlton).
Room was ok, if a little on the small side (room 23). Shower screen door not clean but bedding, towels etc ok. Breakfast was ...adequate. 1 baco, 1 egg (freshly cooked), beans, sometimes tomato, 1 disappointing sausage (of a very poor standard). Fresh toast was served with breakfast and there were cereals and juices on a self service table. Tea and coffee were to be obtained from a machine, which did not work correctly. On pressing the button for a double Espresso, you got chocolate!! A very helpful member of staff showed me that to get a double espresso you had to use the single button twice and not the double button. The coffee was pretty awful. However we asked if it would be possible to get a pot of tea and the staff very obligingly brought us one. Subsequent mornings we got a freshly brewed pot of tea brought to our table. All the staff we encountered were pleasant and helpful. The bar serves a decent pint of Bass at £3.30. We were using the hotel as a base while visiting friends from Germany who had rented a cottage nearby, and for this the hotel was adequate (that word again).
The owners and staff seem to be trying very hard in difficult economic times, but a bit more attention to detail and an upgrade to the sausages would be welcome improvements.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We had a lovely stay here and ok its not the Hilton or big chain hotel, but it does the job fine. With 2 adults 2 children, middle of the heatwave and the Welsh national airshow weekend we were happy to find somewhere adequate for our needs.

The room was big enough and clean, the kids had a bunk bed in a separate section to ours we all had a comfy nights stay, the showers worked fine, there were enough towels and I always take my own shower stuff anyway so no issues. The decor throughout (apart from the bar area) was tired but who cares? It was simply a place for us to sleep, safely and comfortably. Having spent a few nights camping this was heavenly! Breakfast was ok not the best (I always judge based on the quality of the sausages, and they were the cheap stuff!) and good service.

The hotel is well placed for families, with Mumbles park literally across the road and the seafront across the road too. Having been a student at Swansea, it was nice to be back with my family and not saty in a student house!. If you have never been to Mumbles before, Joes Ice cream is a must, Verdi's is an experience but a lot of overpriced Italian pomp, "The Kitchen Table" which is almost next door serves way better breakfasts than ANY hotel (that includes the Hilton!) their menu is available online. Also fish and chips from Yallops you can eat whilst your kids play in the park :) Kids take your scooters and bikes, parents sit on the seafront with a glass of wine from one of the many pubs whilst your children play. Slightly further away visit Llangennith beach it has to be one of the best beaches in Wales with amzing sand dunes for the children.

My only complaint would be the lack of fan/aircon but we were staying on the 2nd week of the heatwave normally this probably wouldn't be an issue!

This was simply a place to stay overnight, it was comfortable. clean and most importantly my children loved it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed a few days; I found all the stairs quite tiring. The staff was quite helpful showing me to my room which was basically a corridor with 2 beds in alcoves with the bathroom at the end. It was clean enough but a bit old. I was not able to get the TV to work. The bed was hard and not that comfortable. The included breakfast was reasonable although I wish they would clean the sticky tables better. Perhaps they might consider investing in some catsup bottles it ridiculous the whole restraint using one bottle!!! My stay was ok but I would have rather stayed somewhere else.

Room Tip: Ask for close to the ground to avoid all the stairs
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DaphneSuffolk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mumbles
Shoreline
#12 of 22 in Swansea
Ibis Swansea
Ibis Swansea
#4 of 22 in Swansea

Been to The Mumbles Hotel? Share your experiences!