The Mumbles Hotel
The Alexander(Swansea)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewscarlton hoteldog friendly hotelbooked this hotelbreakfast staffsea view roomnothing is too muchwalking holidaytwin roombrilliant stayincluded breakfastanyone planningpublic car parkdefinately stay againground floorfantastic hoteltea and coffee making facilitiesno hesitation in recommending
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Well I did panic reading other reviews on here but I gotta say its not that bad..yes the rooms need updating and yes a little shabby but if its for one night then I'd definately return here..I'm a very fussy person and if I can stay here then I'm sure you could to..breakfast was lovely no complaints at all..staff couldn't do enough for you..location is very central of the mumbles..overall experience-very happy!! Would I return for for a night stay YES!!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Adequate is the word I would use to sum up our stay at The Mumbles (formerly The Carlton).
Room was ok, if a little on the small side (room 23). Shower screen door not clean but bedding, towels etc ok. Breakfast was ...adequate. 1 baco, 1 egg (freshly cooked), beans, sometimes tomato, 1 disappointing sausage (of a very poor standard). Fresh toast was served with breakfast and there were cereals and juices on a self service table. Tea and coffee were to be obtained from a machine, which did not work correctly. On pressing the button for a double Espresso, you got chocolate!! A very helpful member of staff showed me that to get a double espresso you had to use the single button twice and not the double button. The coffee was pretty awful. However we asked if it would be possible to get a pot of tea and the staff very obligingly brought us one. Subsequent mornings we got a freshly brewed pot of tea brought to our table. All the staff we encountered were pleasant and helpful. The bar serves a decent pint of Bass at £3.30. We were using the hotel as a base while visiting friends from Germany who had rented a cottage nearby, and for this the hotel was adequate (that word again).
The owners and staff seem to be trying very hard in difficult economic times, but a bit more attention to detail and an upgrade to the sausages would be welcome improvements.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We had a lovely stay here and ok its not the Hilton or big chain hotel, but it does the job fine. With 2 adults 2 children, middle of the heatwave and the Welsh national airshow weekend we were happy to find somewhere adequate for our needs.

The room was big enough and clean, the kids had a bunk bed in a separate section to ours we all had a comfy nights stay, the showers worked fine, there were enough towels and I always take my own shower stuff anyway so no issues. The decor throughout (apart from the bar area) was tired but who cares? It was simply a place for us to sleep, safely and comfortably. Having spent a few nights camping this was heavenly! Breakfast was ok not the best (I always judge based on the quality of the sausages, and they were the cheap stuff!) and good service.

The hotel is well placed for families, with Mumbles park literally across the road and the seafront across the road too. Having been a student at Swansea, it was nice to be back with my family and not saty in a student house!. If you have never been to Mumbles before, Joes Ice cream is a must, Verdi's is an experience but a lot of overpriced Italian pomp, "The Kitchen Table" which is almost next door serves way better breakfasts than ANY hotel (that includes the Hilton!) their menu is available online. Also fish and chips from Yallops you can eat whilst your kids play in the park :) Kids take your scooters and bikes, parents sit on the seafront with a glass of wine from one of the many pubs whilst your children play. Slightly further away visit Llangennith beach it has to be one of the best beaches in Wales with amzing sand dunes for the children.

My only complaint would be the lack of fan/aircon but we were staying on the 2nd week of the heatwave normally this probably wouldn't be an issue!

This was simply a place to stay overnight, it was comfortable. clean and most importantly my children loved it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed a few days; I found all the stairs quite tiring. The staff was quite helpful showing me to my room which was basically a corridor with 2 beds in alcoves with the bathroom at the end. It was clean enough but a bit old. I was not able to get the TV to work. The bed was hard and not that comfortable. The included breakfast was reasonable although I wish they would clean the sticky tables better. Perhaps they might consider investing in some catsup bottles it ridiculous the whole restraint using one bottle!!! My stay was ok but I would have rather stayed somewhere else.

Room Tip: Ask for close to the ground to avoid all the stairs
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DaphneSuffolk
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Myself and my partner stayed there for four nights at the end of July and to be honest we couldn't fault the place I was a little shocked to be honest as we wernt expecting too much after reading all the negative reviews before our Stay. Being originally from swansea I'm aware how over priced mumbles can be. But the room at this hotel were not over priced ,the room was very clean and of good size plenty of light and stunning views across the bay ,breakfast was really good always fresh and yet never had to wait long staff were always friendly and helpful nothing was too much effort! This hotel is ideally situated with everything you'd need in reach!! We had an evening meal on the first night sirloin steak with all the trimmings for a very reasonable priced hearty meal it's was so nice we had another one on the last night! But if you'd prefer eating out there is an array of restaurants to choose from a stones throw away. Well we Really enjoyed our stay as did alot of other guests that we spoke to we will definately be staying here again next year.

• Stayed: July 2013