“Winter Hike/Camp Kjeragbolten”

and up
Kjerag Autumn Hike
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: GUIDED HIKE ADVENTURES TO PULPIT ROCK & KJERAG. *Innovative, Unique Tours * Small Hiking Groups * Professional, Local Guides * Hotel Pick-up/Drop-off * Optional Photography Service * Optional Rental Equipment * Custom & Private Tours * Ethical Employment Practices. Outdoorlife Norway’s professional (and local!) nature guides lead unique ‘off the beaten track’ tours that highlight the region’s fjords, mountains, and valleys. We offer premium guided day-hikes, bicycle tours, multi-day treks, and tailor-made private tours throughout the year. Optimize your adventure and leave the hassle up to us!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed March 14, 2018

I never usually write reviews, but for Johannes and the team I will make an exception. We did the Winter Hike to Kjeragbolten which is a 3 day hike, sleeping overnight in base camp style tents; from start to finish the experience was fantastic. We were lucky in that although my partner and I were the only two booked on the hike, it still went ahead which meant I could sneak my proposal in at the summit! In summary, Outdoorlife Norway are professional, competent, confident guides, excellent cooks, great photographers and all round good guys who went above and beyond the requirements more than once. Moreover, the hike really had a unique “expedition” experience - in the 3 days we didn’t see another soul on the mountain. This hike is the only way to reach Kjeragbolten in winter, we are both experienced hikers and campers but would not have had the skills to make this hike without going through Outdoorlife Norway. On top of all this the price is very reasonable in my opinion.

The kit they provide you with (e.g. Rab down jacket) is more than good enough to keep you comfortable in the conditions (though make sure you follow the packing guide carefully), the food and snacks they offer are ample, and on top of all that their English is excellent. I will say that you should be honest with yourself in terms of your camping and hiking ability, at points the terrain is quite steep which can be challenging in snow shoes depending on snow conditions, and camping when it is -10 degrees may not be for everyone, though I will reiterate that the kit provided is good enough to cope.

I would recommend getting the photography option - for the equivalent of £15 I now have very high standard pictures of my proposal which we will keep for a lifetime!

I’m trying to think of negatives to give the review some balance but I honestly can’t come up with many; the only one that springs to mind is that one of the guides had winter goggles which was not mentioned on the kit list, they would have come in very handy on the last day in +40mph winds so I would recommend packing these.

I hope if you’ve got this far you have found this review helpful, in summary Outdoorlife Norway 10/10!

Date of experience: March 2018
OutdoorlifeNorway, Owner at Outdoorlife Norway, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2018

Thanks a ton for your nice words Dev!

We are very happy to hear you enjoyed the trek as much as you did.

The fact that you proposed to your girlfriend made the trek even more special, also for us guides! One for the books, never to forget.

May your marriage be as adventurous as your outdoor proposal!

Takk for turen!

"amazing sunrise"
"main trail"
"comfort zone"

Reviewed March 13, 2018

Having hiked up Preikenstolen in the summer I was looking forward to heading up there in the winter months. It did not disappoint! And neither did Outdoorlife Norway who were responsive, helpful and a pleasure to deal with throughout. Our guide, Alan, made it a hassle-free, fun and informative experience, to add to the wonderful hiking and stunning views.

Date of experience: March 2018
Reviewed March 7, 2018

What an amazing experience!

To say the hike up Pulpit Rock is a winter wonderland is an understatement. Although we didn't get to see the view at the end, as it was quite foggy, the hike itself offered spectacular sights.

Our guide, Alan, was absolutely great - very funny and knowledgeable. We opted for the photography package and got some beautiful fotos as keepsakes.

Make sure you take in the sights of beautiful Stavanger when you're on the ferry!

We would happily recommend this tour to anybody!

Reviewed February 26, 2018 via mobile

We decided to do a guided tour because it was winter and the route was full of snow and ice. All the staff were really helpful and friendly, everything well explained, all the info and material provided. Our guide was Christoffer and he was very friendly, we had a great day with him, he knew the area by heart and he gave us enough time for pictures and enjoying this amazing landscape!! Takk for turen Outdoorlife Norway & Christoffer!!