“Close to perfection”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 9, 2013

This is by far the best restaurant in Stavanger.
As a frequent traveller to Stavanger I have visited all high end restaurants in the city.
I have visited Spiseriet twice and both times I left with a full stomach and a big smile.
The restaurant looks a bit empty when you enter it, I guess they need to work a bit on the decor.
However once you are seated it feels warm and cozy, especially by the window.
And the staff: relaxed, funny, attentive and professional.

At our first visit before christmas we were greeted by the restaurant manager.
When he showed us to our table he cracked a joke I still laugh at.
The menu was a set three-course menu with some variations and possibilities for upgrades.

The courses aren't really described in the menu but the waitor gave a good description, even though he insisted he wanted the exact composition to be a surprise for us.

We ordered the three courses with the recommended winepackage.

The food and the wines paired with the food was excellent.
Especially the wine matched with the duck!
I have never seen such a high class wine (M. Chapoutier Les Granits) being part of a wine package so modestly priced as here.

The second visit was just as great.
Three courses with quail as the main course at the prices they have, talk about value for money!
Our blonde waitress Matilda was very skilled.
This evening the restaurant was very busy, but all staff was on top of things.
Was a bit sceptical having carrot cake a a dessert, but loved it.
But I guess you shouldn't expect less when eating at a restaurant staffed by award winning chefs.

I will come back and can highly recommend it!

Reviewed January 31, 2013

It seems a place for money laundering. Mafia & politicians tend to have that kind of place, decorated with extravagance. The place exposes itself like its open, but is not working.
I swear I thought I was in Moscow.

I've got to visit the place 2 times.
Good wine, nordic pastry delicacies and only these. Like a biblical act: wine & bread :(

Any dinner there. Children aparently are forbidden. I've seen dogs better treated.
My children are accustomed to restaurants worldwide. They appreciate good food, because I am a practitioner of high culinary.

The first time I was there an ugly woman serve me with analysing eyes, no smile what so ever. Since I asked for wine I wasn't expelled right on. Even was a horrible welcome, I considered the food & place great.

The second time, the same woman, with a lot of footmen which were girls with no more then 20 years old, without a clue what to do, were at door barring customers instead welcome them. I give 2 chances to persuade them with my best smiles & simpathy, but them excuses ranged from dry to arid, all diferent, caractherizing a bunch of LIES!

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We went there to eat before a concert. We were 15min late and got complains from the staff. The restaurant is located in the concert hall and the chairs were like garden furniture from the 70’s and very uncomfortable. We ask the staff for another table, but just got paper tissues to sit on. The menu offers not much choice. The starter was ok, but the main food was delivered on cold plates and cold. When we complained to the staff, they removed the food and we did not get a replacement but needed to pay the food. Prices are higher than in other fine dining Stavanger restaurants. We cannot recommended this place.

3  Thank N0i
Reviewed November 25, 2012

This place is the new restaurant in the new concert hall of Stavanger. The new concert hall is excellent, with maybe the best view of the city. It should be excellent, unfortunately it is not...

The restaurant is wel placed. It is although cold and dark. My wife had to take her coat on not to be cold.

Our waiter was a girl from France. That is of course fine. What was less accurate was that her English was poor, her Norwegian absent and her ability to be a waiter poor. The French was excellent, but not all my friends speak French...

Do you expect to get bread to your meal: not here, we even asked for it, did not get it.

Do you exect your wine to be not cold, not here it is from the wrong fridge The red wine was maybe 10 C.

I ordered the oysters in addition to the normal 3-dish menu. Of course I would expect the oyster to be the first dish. Here I got it together the "normal" starter. I was offered a wine for the oyster AFTER I ate it.The waiter did not understand why I refused the wine...
Tenderloin: we were NOT asked how we wanted it made---

Wines in ordinary: got them after the dish.

The order off everything was chaotic, the bill was incorrect, and we did not get maybe 30% of what we ordered. I was angry, fortunately I don' have to come back.

This place sucks: avoid it. It is also quite expensive, go somewhere else!!

2  Thank Egil B
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We asked the staff it is was possible to reserved a table at 17.00 before a concert.
Everything was fully booked she said,
When we arrived at 5 o clock and until 6 o clock there was a lot of free tables.
This is very bad attitude and a realy poor service!!!

2  Thank Gaute G