“surprisingly good”
Review of Hotel Alstor

Hotel Alstor
Ranked #16 of 27 Hotels in Stavanger
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Location could be better, but I was surprised to find this hotel better than some of the hotels in the city centre. The good part about the location was that we didn't hear the usual "Saturday night shouting"..The size of the room was good, but the bathroom was small. The best part of the room was the beds. Slept like a log!

The hotel staff was really helpful and friendly. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Kjetil_Nordbo, General Manager at Hotel Alstor, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

Dear Jacob,

Thank you very much for writing your review after a stay at our hotel. We do value all feedback and always try to improve for future visits and guests.

We are situated approximately 2 kilometers from the city centre, but close to nature, convention halls, sports arenas and a main road that make it easy to get to the city centre. One of the added benefits at our place is as you mention that the noise level is low. I am very glad that you enjoyed that.

Our rooms is generally much more spacious than what is the case with newly built hotels. But you are correct in that a number of our bathrooms are smaller due to that it was custom when the hotel was built. However, we do have a number of rooms with a bit larger bathrooms, so please do not hesitate to ask for one the next time if you would like and we will do our best to see if one is available.

Thank you for noticing my brilliant hotel staff and our Jensen beds. We hope to welcome you back again us and we will ensure you find the same amount of charm and good atmosphere the next time.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

I asked for a room overlooking the road because then you get to see the lovely park opposite. However it is autumn and chilly so I have no need to open the windows at night. The bed is very comfortable and the room is a reasonable size and has a small desk where I can work. The staff are super helpful and responsive; for example, on Sunday night they promised a soup meal but cancelled that. I came in just before seven hoping for a bowl of soup. The girl in reception came back a few minutes later with a bowl of goulash, some raw veggis, a piece of salmon and some fruit and brownie. I was really touched by her kindness. The breakfast constitues a good spread. I found the room a little chilly and it's an hour walk into town (although there is a bus service nearby) but I enjoyed that as I had the time. It's OK here.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Lesley,

Thank you very much for your review. My staff were especially happy to hear that you valued the extra service we always try to give our guests if there is an opportunity and time allow it.

The hotel is situated right beside a beautiful lake and a nice forrest to walk through up to the highest point in Stavanger. We are also approximately 2 kilometers away from the city centre, but close to convention halls, sports arenas and a main road making it easy getting around. Walking from our hotel to city take between 20 and 60 minutes along nice areas depending on how fast or slow you walk. We are happy to hear that you did enjoy the walk in to the city center :-).

Thank you for informing that the room was a little bit chilly, I will straight away take a look at the specific room you stayed in and see if we can do something to ensure it stay warm and cozy in the winter months.

Me and my staff look very much forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

The room provided for my stay was very nice. Newly renovated with nice furnishings, a very modern and comfortable bathroom, and it was very quiet. The staff were all excellent - a very uniform approach to providing excellent service. The breakfast was very good. All-in-all; a very good place to stay on a business trip to Stavanger.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Douglas,

Me and my staff are very glad that you found your stay with us pleasant.

The hotel were partially renovated end of 2012. All our rooms were upgraded with new design and all new furniture. This together with the atmosphere and charm at the hotel is something our guests comment, I am glad you liked the renovated rooms as well.

Thank you for staying with us and we welcome you back another time. Our promise in the meantime is to work hard at further improving our hotel, while ensure it keep its unique atmosphere and charm also in the future.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a conference at the university and delegates had mixed views. I personally found the hotel staff very helpful esp in changing my room (which overlooked the road) and returning my spectacles that I left behind. However there were some issues about the timing of breakfast which is not until 8am at weekends. This was too late for the conference session on Saturday morning or for early leavers to the airport on Sunday. Although we found out we could have had breakfast boxes these were not advertised, and on the Sunday there was a problem in the kitchen and there were not in the end available. This was not the fault of the staff and perhaps the management should review the timing of breakfast and information given.
The hotel is mid way between the university and the town which turned out to be less than convenient. I was told I could walk to the university in 10 minutes but it took much longer than that...
Nevertheless a perfectly adequate budget hotel... but ask for a room not overlooking the road.

Room Tip: Ask for room at back ie not overlooking road
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Kjetil_Nordbo, General Manager at Hotel Alstor, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2012

Dear cmwUk,

Thank you very much for your review and pointing out a few areas we can improve on.

As we steadily improve our popularity we will review the breakfast timings in the weekends. In the meantime we have taken your advise, and do now advertise the breakfast package for our weekend guests at check-in. We have also worked on a new routine to ensure that the breakfast packages is always available for those who have to travel early, and that there will be no more mishaps in the kitchen.

I do apologize if a member of my staff informed you it would take 10 minutes to reach the University of Stavanger (UiS) from our hotel. We are the closest hotel to UiS, as it is located 1,5 kilometers from us (as the crow flies), but it would be safer to say it take 15 - 25 minutes to walk depending on speed.

We hope to see you back at First Hotel Alstor another time, and do not hesitate to ask for me personally at the hotel if I can do anything to improve the stay.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

We looked for an inexpensive hotel in Stavanger and found this. We did not expect much as it had a lot of bad reviews. But it was great - especially the beds and the breakfast. The beds were with top quality latex madresses. And the breakfast was huge with hot dishes, heering, salat, fruit and a lot more - very delicious. Cleaning could be better. It takes 20 minutes to walk to center of Stavanger, but it is a nice walk along some running paths. Staff is nice and helpful and wifi is fast and free.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

Dear TravellerFromDK,

Thank you very much for giving us a chance when booking your stay and for your positive review.

We have added two more staff in our housekeeping department and improved their routines. So we do hope that on your next stay in Stavanger you will find an improvement on our cleaning.

Its good to hear that you liked our new Jensen beds, the breakfast and the walk to the city along nature and typical norwegian houses.

We look very much forward to see you again in Stavanger and at First Hotel Alstor.

Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

I particularly liked the rooms, the rooms with a purple theme, really made a difference.

Very comfy bed, I slept like a baby... nice verandah with a green view, but facing a busy road, was a little noisy with the passing vehicles, but with the TV switched on, you get immuned.

Much much quieter at night ( there are other parts of the hotels without facing the busy road, ask for them, only thing is you may have to go a floor below or above and there are no lifts, I presume as I didn't see any, or rather didn't look for one as it was not needed for me. Most people were using the stairs.

The bathroom was very clean and neat, modern fittings, the shower cubicle was a little small, tight for me (maybe because I am on the large/big size!!!).

Toiletries were of good taste and quality.

The downside, one may ask? No coffee or tea making facility in the room! But they have a common area where you can go and get your coffee and tea, a short walk, a little cumbersome though, as you got to get a little dressed up to go out in public.

The breakfast spread was really good and wholesome... I truly enjoyed my breakfast. The only thing which would have completed the deal is, if they had an omelette counter.

However, knowing or realising it is a 3 star, they were absolutely good.

Very friendly staffs, especially Mr Eric, he went out of his way to get things done for me. I was hoping to meet the Hotel Manager Mr Kjetil Nordbø, to convey my personal appreciation, but he was not at sight, he must have been busy.

It's very hard to please me, if I say it's good, trust me, it's good.

The downside, one may ask? The restaurant was closed for lunch and dinner for the duration of my 3 nights stay. I suppose it was low season, hence the closure.

I had to take my client elsewhere to dine, which was a little snag.

Otherwise, I am very satisfied.

If you are looking for value for money, peace and serenity, this is the place.

3 star hotel at its best.

On my next visit to Stavanger, Norway, I search no more, First Hotel Alstor it is.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Magandran

Dear Magandran,

Thank you very much for your positive review.

Our restaurant is open from monday until thursday. But I am pleased to announce that due to our increasing popularity we will keep the restaurant open with a limited meny also from friday until sunday. I do hope you take advantage of this offer on your next visit to Stavanger.

You are very welcome to our hotel and we look forward to see you again.

Reviewed May 17, 2012 via mobile

Great service and best breakfast we ever had in Norway despite no elevator (only 2 storey) & location a bit far away (NOK150+-) from central. We will definitely come back again on next visit :p

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Yook

Dear Yook,

Thank you very much for your positive review of our hotel. We look forward to welcome you back on your next visit and hope we will have improved even further until then.