“A very good restaurant”

Cuisines: French, Norwegian, International
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 15, 2014

OK so you know already Norway is expensive; looking beyond that fact, we visited on a busy Saturday evening and there was five of us in our group. Three took the set menu, two went a la carte. The staff were very pleasant, the food was very well presented and very tasty and all five of us enjoyed what we had. I couldn't fault this restaurant whatsoever so yes I would recommend this lovely restaurant in the heart of Stavanger. Cost element - budget for £50 per person - too much for sure but that's Norway. One thing I would say, a meal whilst expensive does seem to be better value than a coffee and sandwich/cake type snack.

3  Thank KeithJSullivan
There are newer reviews for Bevaremegvel Bar & Restaurant

Reviewed June 10, 2014

By far my favorite restaurant in Stavanger. I try to eat there at least twice or three times during my business stays in Stavanger. Always comfortable and the food is spectacular. I usually sit in the bar area and people watch since the restaurant area is usually very busy. I truly cannot remember if I've ever had a bad meal at this restaurant. The wine selection is also excellent. As with most things in Stavanger it's not cheap, but if you want a special evening dinner this is definitely the place. I would highly recommend.

1  Thank Thomas D
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Our business group had pre-ordered two fixed menus with head count for each one, but apparently we could have saved ourselves the hassle.

The waitress had to count and recount our order several times, and even managed to ask whether it was possible for the ones who had the same menu to change seats and sit together in order to make it easier for her. We also tried to remove a cheese from the cheese platter (note: just remove, not replace) but we were told that was impossible and ended up cancelling the cheese platters.

The restaurant was pretty full, but we still didn't expect an hour and a half waiting time before the arrival of the starters after pre-ordering. Luckily the waitress popped by with two servings of bread during the wait, because we were starving. The soup was good, it just arrived about an hour late for my taste.

After more than two hours the main course was finally on the table; mine was pan fried trout which seemed to have been left under a heat lamp for quite some time.

The dessert tasted amazing, even though most of the participants were half asleep by the time it arrived.

All in all; good food, but not good enough to be worth the wait. And not a place for a weeknight if you have to be somewhere early next morning.

2  Thank everywhereandn0where
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I was recommended this place by the owner of the B&B I was staying at, and it turned out to be a very good recommendation. I would happily go back again.

First impressions are quite good; the ambiance is sort of Paris brasserie in a very nice way; Lots of photos, sketches and pictures, pleasant lighting and candles on table with white tablecloths. I felt comfortable as soon as I entered. There was plenty of staff and the attention was good without being in the least intrusive.

The (dinner) menu is not enormous, with a choice of three meat dishes (Beef, Lamb, and Duck) and three fish dishes, and several nice-sounding desserts. I had the lamb and it was very good - much better than I had expected in fact. To finish, I struggled to decide between the crème brûlée and the panna cotta (both favourites of mine) but ended up with the crème brûlée which was very good - another pleasant surprise.

Wine (by the glass) was - as is typical in Stavanger - seriously expensive, with a simple red costing NOK85. The meal (main, dessert, glass of wine and an espresso) came to NOK530; not cheap by any means, but certainly not the most expensive place in Stavanger.

1  Thank TheGumnuts
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

The biggest advantage for Bevaremegvel is the atmosphere. Have visited this place several times. Food is always tasty. Last visit I enjoyed the Norwegian traditional christmas god. Simply wonderful! Service is accurate and polite. Food takes some time to serve. Prices in the upper level for this kind of restaurant. Still recommended.

1  Thank tgaud