Thon Hotel Maritim
Comfort Hotels
$151
$136
  • Breakfast included
Best Western Havly Hotell(Stavanger)(Great Value!)
$143
Priceline
$178
Priceline
  • Restaurant
All reviewsexcellent locationcentral locationvisited this hotelnespresso machinethe busthird floorstreet levelfree coffeeshopping areashort walkbreakfast buffet isthe hotel is cleanbusiness roomnice roombreakfast was amazingstayed here for nightssalmon
Reviewed February 6, 2013

If 200 UK pounds a night for a very average hotel is your thing then book up to stay at Thon Maritim ... I was booked in by my employer and had no say in it, and having read some of the other reviews below, I arrived with some trepidation. My unbiassed findings were ... Yes reception are friendly and helpful but you'd expect that in any hotel. I was given a top floor front-facing room with a lovely view of Breiavatnet. The room was NOT freezing as several other recent reviews mention, but perhaps on the cooler side compared to some of the sweltering saunas that some Stavanger hotels offer, and actually the room temperature was ideal for sleeping well ... which I did despite the ungenerously narrow bed which I estimated at 70cm wide. The bathroom was a bit dated, and the shower was emergency use only, totally inadequate and also difficult to stand in the narrow, steeply U-shaped bath. Liquid soap dispensers that look like Bang & Olofson speakers were inconveniently located under the shower head, so the soap was washed straight off my hand. In the bedroom instead of a wardrobe there is something that resembles an upturned palette attached to the wall, and hanging up clothes crease-free is a challenge that I failed to accomplish. There is WIFI, but annoyingly it is necessary to type in username and pass every single time you open your browser. There was also a mini-bar with the usual frightening prices ... £22 for half a bottle of cheap Spanish red wine anyone? The last comment I have to make is about breakfast ... which is an embarrassment when compared to breakfasts at any other comparably priced hotels in Stavanger. It is a self-serve buffet affair, but there just isn't much to choose from. Hot food consists of mini pølser, baked beans, batch-made scrambled eggs which tastes just plain old, and rubber fried eggs that look like ones you'd buy in a joke shop. Cold fare is good if you like an assortment of pickled herring and the usual reconstituted meat ham things and sliced cheese ... many of the above needed refilling but the staff neglected to keep on top of this all three mornings that I ate in there. A chef appeared at one point, but only to fill a pint glass with orange juice and soda, before scuttling back into the kitchen. Bottom line, this place needs to take a long hard look at itself and ask the difficult question "Are we worth 1800 NOK a night?" because from this reviewers' perspective, that'd be an emphatic NO.

Room Tip: Ask for a front-facing room overlooking Breiavatnet. My colleague also staying at the same time was given a rear-facing room with a view of "some scaffolding".
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Booking_Mngr_Maritim, Booking Manager at Thon Hotel Maritim, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Hi TheHikingDude!

Thank you for your review!

I'm glad to see that you found our staff friendly and helpful, a good room temperature, and that you got to enjoy the beatiful view of Breiavannet!

Out of over 200 rooms, we only have 8 rooms with single beds. I assume that you were staying on a fully booked night, and unfortunatly you got one of the single bedded rooms.
Please contact me if you're staying here in the future, and I'll make sure you get a double bedded room :-)

We are actively working towards getting our bathrooms refurbished during 2013, and are hopefull that we get to do this.

When it comes to price range, we are in the midst range of the Stavanger hotels. Stavanger is a fairly expensive city on certain weekdays, especially Tuesday and Wednesday.
For companies with a fair share of hotel nights, we always recommend contacting one of our account managers to get a company agreement. This will give you a favorable discount.

Wine, and other alchohols, are expensive in Norway, compared to other countries This is mainly due to the high level of taxes on theese types of products.

I'm very sorry for any lack of refilling at the breakfast buffet. I'll look into this!

I hope to see you again at Thon Hotel Maritim, and don't hesitate to contact me if I you have any questions in the future

Best Regards Heidi Kleppe, Booking Manager, Thon Hotel Maritim.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed there last night on business travel. Front desk staff was quite friendly and upgraded me to a suite. So I started with high hopes. But then I got to the room to find a run down 20 year old bathroom that was freezing cold and with peeling paint. The entire hotel was so very cold and there were no individual heating controls in the rooms. I did have a nespresso machine in my room, but no coffee. I called the front desk using my mobile phone, because the in-house phone was only busy signals. After finally getting through, I was told that I should come to reception and get the coffee myself. Breakfast was poor and, from the dining room, the kitchen staff could be clearly heard talking and goofing. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Hi Sorestis,

Thank you for your review.

I'm sorry to see that you did not find your stay with us enjoyable.

There are several ways to control the heating in our rooms. There's a heating panel in the room which allows you to control the heating system up ur down by 3 degrees celcius.
In addition there are ovens beneath the windows, which you can turn up or down as you please.

Regarding the coffe, might there have been a misunderstanding between you an the front desk staff? We don't have room service, but we do off course provide our guests with coffe if the in-room coffe machine is empty. I'm very sorry about this!

We get alot of good feedback on our breakfast, but I'm sad to read that you did not enjoy it.
Please let me know if there was anything specific you were missing, and I'll look into it.

I do thank you again for your review, customer responses make us better!

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Got a top floor room, stayed there in winter time. Strange layout and cold in spite of max on all radiators. Hard to block out the light through some windows when it was time to sleep. Breakfast was a disappointment. Also hard to find park place in the area, did cost me an (expensive) parking ticket as I arrived late and there were no place to park. There are better places in Stavanger.

Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Booking_Mngr_Maritim, Booking Manager at Thon Hotel Maritim, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Hi Anders!

Thank you for you review.

I'm sorry to hear that you felt your room was too cold, and found it hard to block out light.
We are happy to accomodate room requests if possible, so don't hesitate to make a booking note of this on future reservations, or contact us directly at maritim.booking@thonhotels.no, and I'll do my best to give you a room that meets your needs :-)
We always stribe to serve a top quality brekfast, and I'm sad to see that you did'nt enjoy it.
Parking can often be a challenge in city centers, but our receptionists are happy to advise reasonable parking opportunities nearby. The closest parking garage is 150 meters behind the hotel, and costs appr. 75 NOK pr. 24 hours.

I hope that we get a chance to welcome you to Thon Hotel Maritime in the future, and give you a better experience!

Best Regards Heidi Kleppe, Thon Hotel Maritim.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Just returned from a recent business trip and stayed at this property for the first time, good city centre location. I stayed on the 6th floor which was very quiet and allowed a good night sleep. I was in a twin with 2 single beds which were very small but being very petite was not such an issue for me. I would suggest you check on arrival if you are over 5ft 4!!!
Staff very friendly and the breakfast good. One quick tip is allow plenty time for your taxi ahead of meetings (even when you prebook) the city is getting even busier and we always had to wait!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor away from street noise.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Booking_Mngr_Maritim, Booking Manager at Thon Hotel Maritim, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Hi Sjr_1972!
Thank you for your review!
I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us!
You're quite right about the taxi situation in Stavanger, booking ahead of time is a good idea in the rush hours.
Most of our rooms have queen or double beds, so just aks for this the next time you visit us, and we'll do our very best to accomodate your request :)
Hope to see again soon at Thon Hotel Maritim!

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed here on business. Rooms were fine - comfortable enough and quiet. Staff helpful. Breakfast fine. Some communal areas a bit tired. Fantastic location. Decent enough business hotel, but nothing special.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Hi mlohara!
Thank you for your review!
I'm glad to see that you found our staff helpfull, and that you enjoyed your room and our location!
During the last couple of weeks we have refurbished all corridos, and some part of the communal areas.
Hope to welcome you back to Thon Hotel Maritim in the future!