“Easy, affordable, convenient”

Radisson Blu Hotel Alesund
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Alesund
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Like breakfast? This is the place for you! Great waterfront hotel for business or pleasure. New to Norway? Get a business class room and enjoy the convenience of the extra space. If you are travelling alone, you can happily check in to a standard room but be aware that rooms in this neck of the woods are much smaller than in other cities around the world. Staff are smiling and helpful. It's also just around the corner from the tourist information centre and landings where you embark on fjord cruises. Great place to stay and I'd recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Go for the business class rooms: a little more space to stretch out.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Radisson Blu Hotel Alesund

Reviewed May 24, 2013

We stayed at Radisson Blu Alesund for 7 nights in May 2013. We booked via their website and got a very good deal by booking in advance, this made it the cheapest hotel in Alesund we could find. Whilst I do not normally like Radisson hotels I was very pleased with the standard of service and accommodation and would stay again.

The location of the hotel is brilliant, very close to the Flybussen stop and only a few metres from the ferry terminal which makes days out to the surrounding areas nice and easy. Everything in Alesund is walkable so I think most hotels will be 'central' but I am sure few of them have the view that we had out of our bedroom window which was stunning over the water.

The room itself was a fairly standard business room, nothing special but also more than adequate. Beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was very clean. There was not a lot of storage space for clothes and luggage but this did not bother us too much. There is a minibar but no coffee-making facilities in the room - you can use the coffee machine in reception for free at any point in the day which was a nice touch.

The breakfast is included with the rooms and it was fantastic, a real benefit of staying at the Radisson. I have rarely seen so much choice and I defy anyone not to be impressed - we certainly made the most of it and filled up before a full days walking. It was replenished constantly and the range of food was amazing.

Staff were all friendly and helpful and you felt like they really wanted you to enjoy your stay, which we certainly did. There was a lovely outside area next to the water but apart from sitting out there for a coffee one afternoon we did not really use this, I am sure on a warm day it would be gorgeous.

In summary, we enjoyed our stay very much but it was the price and the breakfast that made this the place we would return to if/when we return to Alesund again.

Room Tip: We asked for a view over the water and we got it - lovely!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Britt S, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Alesund, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Hello,
I would like to thank you very much for your good review of our hotel here on tripadvisor, it really means a lot to me and to my staff to get feedback on what we do.

I am glad that you enjoyed our stay and that you found our price to be in accordance with the value you received here . I am glad you liked our breakfast, we are trying to have a great selection every day og local and homemade foods.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again if you come back to Ålesund.

Regards Britt Skjong

Reviewed May 20, 2013

we stayed just for a night and had rooms with inadequate airconditioning. with an outside temperature of 12 degrees ,we were sweating. the staff tried to make up with their friendliness and courtesy but the GM is yet to get back to me regarding my complaint. i left my business card for her. a very un club carlson attitude.

Room Tip: dont pay if you are not comfortable.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank RAVI K
Britt S, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Alesund, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you kindly for your review here on Tripadvisor and thank you for choosing our hotel during your visit to Ålesund.
I received your card from the reception, and due to a national holliday, I apologize for not having been unable to respond to you until now.
I take it very seriously when I read that you did not find the airconditioning in your room satisfactory. After your complaint we have received a few more comments about our rooms beeing too warm, and we have adjusted the temperature down in our main climate control system in order to lower the temperature in all of our rooms now. This year we went from winter to summer in a few days and the temperature in the rooms were then to high according to the outside temperature.
I will make this right for you , and I will contact you on your private mail regarding that.
I hope that we will be able to welcome you and your family again as our guest in Radisson Blu on your travels, and sincerely thank you again for your feedback. This is how we get better at what we love to do.

Regards,
Britt Skjong
britt.skjong@radissonblu.com

Reviewed April 26, 2013

I can't really fault this hotel. It was clean, tidy and rooms were a little sparse but perfectly functional, the staff were freindly and helpful. However there was nothing wow about this hotel it was just very average. I did also have problems with the wifi connection which kept timing out.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank cerbera1920
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed one night through work, expected more:

- Room on third floor felt more as a hostel room, with a very basic bathroom and two 80cm(?) beds
- Internet did not work properly, it came on and off (and phone coverage was REALLY poor)
- Very limited choice of TV-channels
- Water did not float through in the sink or shower
- Paper holder came off the wall in the bathroom
- The gym was really basic, one threadmill, one biycle, and some weights

+ OK breakfast buffet
+ Great view from the breakfast buffet

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TobieOne1980
Britt S, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Alesund, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear Guest,
I am glad that you enjoyed our food and the view from our Breakfast Buffet, we have expanded our selection with more local foods, and our view of the Fjord outside is one of a kind in this city.

We are working passionately everyday to meet our guests expectations, and I take it very seriously when I read that you did not find your room satisfactory. I would very much appreciate if you can contact me and inform me of which room you stayed in, so we can check up on the matters in the bathroom. The technical team in the hotel always attends to matters regarding our rooms as soon as a problem comes to our attention.

All of our beds were new in the summer of 2012, and our standard rooms either have two beds each 90 cm. wide, or a queensize bed. We do our best to accommodate our guests if they want a queen or kingsize bed.

The matter of the internet is being fixed in these days, we have already upgraded from 5MB to a 100MB connection, and it will be in function very soon, and I apologise for the trouble you had during your stay. The phone coverage I have to look at, we might have to get better antenna reach, so thank you for bringing this to my attention.

If you come to Ålesund again, I hope that we get a chance to make it up to you by assigning you a Business Class room facing the seaside with a Queensize bed and great Internet connection. If you tell me which specific channels you are missing in our TV selection, I will see if I can add them to our current selection.

In 2010 we managed to add a small gym to accommodate our regular guests by expanding our space into the neighbouring building. We are pleased to be able to offer to our guest a chance, even a limited one, to have a workout.

Once again I thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and I wish you a wonderful summer.

Kind regards,

Britt Skjong
generalmanager.alesund@radissonblu.com

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I had chosen the Alesund because I read the reviews and because of the location and the North sea views and paronama. The area of the town is very pleasent and we find good restaurants and bars, so we could spend some romantic nights.
Our room was overlooking the sea, very clean, large, functional and very comfortable. Well equpped and breakfast excellent. All the staff was very friendly, warm and welcoming.
We will return in a next future, specially because we got some family living near, but this was a very positive place to stay. Thank You

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Annukka L
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Hotel was very welcoming, with staff that were very friendly and helpful. The hotel is within 5-10 minutes walk of the town centre with plenty of restaurants and shops. My single room was a reasonable size and whilst not luxurious, it was well appointed, with a good view out to sea. The internet access was free and the inclusive breakfast offered a variety of hot and cold dishes and there were always plenty of tables available.
Overall it is a good, if not outstanding hotel and I would be happy to stay again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business