“Great waterfront location marred by poor service”

Radisson Blu Hotel Alesund
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Alesund
Reviewed August 11, 2012

From our window we could watch the active and interesting waterfront traffic. Room was good size and well furnished. Breakfast was adequate. When we checked in there were inadequate towels and non-fitting bed linen, Coffee machine did not work, Maid did not come until 3 in the afternoon. Parking was convenient but expensive. Despite the above failings which better management could fix, this hotel is convenient and relatively inexpensive.

Room Tip: Ask for a waterfront room
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Julie Marie B, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Alesund, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2012

Dear Guests,

First and foremost I would like to thank you kindly for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us. I also thank you for choosing to stay with us during your visit to Ålesund.

I am very sorry to read about the issues you had during your stay. I can assure you that I will follow up closely each matter raised, to make sure that we avoid making the same mistakes.

I am very happy though to read that you found our hotel convenient and I sincerely hope that you will choose the Radisson Blu Hotel again when visiting Ålesund in the future. Your experience is certainly not what our hotel stands for.

Once again I thank you kindly for taking the time to help us improve our standards. Should you have any other matters you would like to discuss, please do not hesitate to contact me directly via e-mail adr: generalmanager.alesund@radissonblu.com.

Julie M. Baggesen

There are newer reviews for Radisson Blu Hotel Alesund

Reviewed August 9, 2012

Stayed here for one night. Booked a business room, but sadly the room was a bit of a let down. It was quite dark, and even when I turned on all the light it was still too dark. The furniture looked a bit worn out and outdated. ...and the TV belongs in a museum! Hopefully they will do a renovation of the room in the near future. On the other hand the room was large, and the coffeemachine was much appreciated.
The service from the Front Office staff was okay, but not as good as on my previous visits to the hotel. The breakfast was very good. Having stayed at both Rica-hotels and the one Thon-hotel in Ålesund I will say that Radisson Blue Hotel Ålesund have the best hotel breakfast in town.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Groundhopper
Reviewed July 31, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night while on our way to Geirangerfjord. The hotel was a bit diffiult to find as the sign on the hotel was small and not easy to spot. The hotel does not offer any parking and when I asked at reception I was told that my choices were to park on the street, but I had to move the car by 8am, or park in the private lot next to the hotel for $2/hour. I assume that this is the case with all the hotels in Ålesund so they probaby don't care that it is an inconvenience. The staff at reception were very friendly and prompt. The hotel room was basic and clean although there was a funky smell in the bathroom. There was no air conditioning in our room or it didn't work which resulted in a sleepless night as even having the window open was not cool enough. The price of $190/night included breakfast and wifi. The breakfast was great with a large selection of food at the buffet.
Overall, for and extra $20-$30 more I may consider trying another hotel such as the Quality Hotel Waterfront or the Hotel Brosundet.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Julie Marie B, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Alesund, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

Dear Guest,

First and foremost I would like to thank you for staying with us during your visit to Ålesund. I am most grateful that you took the time to share your experience with us.

I am very sorry that we did not live up to the high standards we at Radisson Blu pride ourselves in delivering during your recent stay with us.
I can assure you that I will follow up on all matters raised on the bathroom as well as the heating system in the room.
It is very important to us that our guest have a unique experience with us and I am very sorry that we were not able to provide this. I am very pleased though that you found our breakfast satisfactory.

In regards to the parking we would very much prefer to provide our guests with free parking. Unfortunately this is not possible, while we do not have our own parking area at our diposal.

Once more, I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with me. Feedback, such as yours, is an invaluable help in our constant focus on delivering the best service and quality possible.

I sincerely hope that you will give us another chance when you visit Ålesund the next time - please feel free to contact me directly on generalmanager.alesund@radissonblu.com, should you have any other matters you would like to discuss.

Julie Marie Baggesen

Reviewed July 29, 2012

The hotel has a good location in Alesund with good access to the shopping area and the pedestrian street.

Service at the front desk was good - we managed to check in early and they helped os with dinner reservations and recommendation of cafes.

Be aware that the hotel does not have any parking opportunities. Next door to the hotel, there is a parking space, where you have to pay for parking 24/7, though you might be lucky to find a parking spot at the streets around the hotel, where parking is free after 16.00.
No parking

Room Tip: Try to get room with view of the ocean
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2012

This hotel was great. We stayed only for one night, but it was a great little resting spot. Hotel room was clean, quiet, and a good size. It was equipped with a bottle of shampoo, conditioner, bar of soap and hand lotion. Breakfast was really nice and private tables were good for a few people to gather and relax.

Room Tip: All rooms were good, elevators were clean and quick.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank cuch5
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Have stayed at the hotel tree times and would probably choose it again. The standard is ok. Rooms a bit worn out but comfortable bed. Bath ok with shower only (standard room). Small old TV without the possibility to rent movies. Sadly since we were there during some rainy days the last time and felt up for a movie. The breakfast is really good I think with a variety of hams, cheese and both hot and cold dishes. Unfortunately thy kept running out of eggs and Danish pastry.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view! But be prepared to be woken at 8:30 by “Hurtigruten” the ferry.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2012

The staff weren't terribly helpful. We had to ask twicesome hours a[part before a second set of towels were provided and 3 times reported an accident which they only responded to when they (erroneously) thought we were claiming off their insurance. They were not interested in recording accidents, even a fall down concrete stairs.

There was a menu in our room (not marked as a sample menu) but on the one night we booked to eat in, the only hot course was a burger and we were told that the menu had been changed, as if that was sufficient explanation.

The bedroom and en suite were clean, although wardrobe/drawer space limited. Curtain linings were good to keep the light out at night (being mid-summer. the breakfasts were good with plenty of fruit.

Alesund had few shops of interest to outsiders, and museums/places to visit did not open until 11am in the week and midday on a Sunday. on Sunday it was a ghost town.

Room Tip: Beware if you use the fitness centre. You access the stairs on a "bend" so that the door i...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 14, 2012

Dear Guest,

First of all I want to thank you kindly for choosing to stay with us during your visit to Ålesund.

Second of all, I want to express my utmost apologies for the unfortunate experience you had during your visit to our Fitness Centre. I am also very sorry to hear that you did not experience a satisfactory service from our Front Office staff.
I was informed immidiately though and I can assure you that the accident was recorded according to our corporate security standards.
I can also inform you that a sign was put up right away, asking guests to please mind the steps to the Fitness Centre. This way we can assure that the same situation does not occur.

I am very happy to learn that you were pleased with our cleaning standards and our breakfast. I will make sure to bring your comments furhter to our Housekeeping and Kitchen staff.

Once again I thank you for staying with us and for sharing you opinion about your stay on Tripadvisor. This is undoubtedly a great help for us to constantly improve as well as, at all times, securing a high level of services and standards.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon again here at the Radisson Blu Hotel Ålesund and I wish you a nice summer!

Julie M. Baggesen