“Right by the Sea.....Great View, Good Breakfast !”
Review of Scandic Alesund

Scandic Alesund
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Alesund
Oslo, Norway
“Right by the Sea.....Great View, Good Breakfast !”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night in late July......had a junior suite. The main advantage of this hotel is what hoteliers would call location, location, location......right by the sea and we had a great view from our rooms. The junior suite was spacious ...two large rooms......very plain interior....but ok (average - needs some renovation). The bed was comfortable. The view from our room was magnificent. Also central location for the town. Parking in hotel garage for NOK 150 for 24 hrs.

Breakfast was wonderful.....very pleasant room looking over the sea. A great variety of food...more than expected.

Staff were friendly........but....and I only have one item which irritated me.... We arrived at 13.15 hrs after driving 9 hours...were tired......when booking on-line on Scandics own booking system I indicated that we would arrive a little bit early (check-in is from 15.00 hrs)...between 12 and 13.hrs. On arrival I went to check-in and was told that check-in was after 15.00 hrs...and we would have to wait. OK, I realise a hotel needs time to clean rooms etc but this was not done in a good way..... I was not asked my name (so she did not know who I was or what type of room I had booked)....the lady at check-in (pleasant person !) just immediatly said no check-in before 15 hrs. This is an unusal policy obviously put in place by Managment and I would ask them to review thier policy...if they want return guests....Normal procedure would be to at least ask my name and then look in the system to see if a room was available (of the type I had booked)......rather than just giving a blanket answer to everyone on check-in (we sat in reception waiting and I listened to what others were told...exactly the same...no one was asked their name). At least ask for the person's name on check-in ...and look in your PMS system....and ok, if no room available then tell the guest !! - but at least you will have been seen to have done something to help your guest (and you live off your guests !! ). We were given a room at 14.15 hrs...thank you.

Alesund is a beautiful town...one of Norway's best......

Room Tip: Naturally..make sure you get a seaview !
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Silje Viken S, General Manager at Scandic Alesund, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Guest.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the beautiful view, and our wonderful breakfast.
And it pleases me to hear that you found our staff serviceminded, but I do agree that we should have checked the possibility for an early check-in.

I hope to see you back soon at our lovely hotel in our wonderful city.

Best regards Silje

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Vasteras, Sweden
Reviewed July 20, 2013

The hotel is a bit on the old side, but Scandic is running s huge campaign to update all hotels, so Ålesund will become better. Situated just by the sea overlooking part of the harbour, it couldn't be better situated. The big window in the room (ask for superior) makes you feel like you're standing on the water. Breakfast was great with the possibility to make you own pancakes,

Room Tip: Seaview of course, ask for a Superior room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Silje Viken S, General Manager at Scandic Alesund, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear AdTrosa.

Thank you so much for writing us a review - it`s very important feedback for us - knowing how the guest feel abour our hotel.

Yes, you are right, we are currently redecorating some of our rooms, first our suites and some of our superior rooms.

We also LOVE the view, and I am in awe every day - being so lucky as to be able to enjoy it on a daily basis.
Have you tried the gym? When you are on the treadmill - with the windows open - it truly feels like you are running on water.

Makes me so happy to hear that you enjoyed you stay here, hope to see you here again soon.

Wishing you - and yours - a wonderful summer.

Kind regards Silje
Finland
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Surrounded by the famous and beautiful Ålesund buildings from 1904 - 07 this hotel though stands out as a 80's or 90' born creature. Unfortunately the style and quality is not timeless.
Inside the same story continues.
Everything works just OK though.
Room is basic but functional. Bathroom feeling its age. No renovations possibly made after building year.
Minibar was empty. There was dust here and there, corridor had not been vaccumed for a couple days with litters and dust on the floor.
However, the restaurant was brilliant. The food was delicious and well made. There was thought in it.
Location brilliant, restaurant brilliant - otherwise very average.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Jaatinen.

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to write us a review - with constructive feedback.

Due to Ålesunds fasade regualtions, we unfortunatly can not change the exterior as of now.
The inside of the hotel is under constant change, we have just redecorated both the resturant and the lobbyarea. We are in the prosess of upgrading our suites and our superiorrooms.
But we are taking it step by step.

Regarding it being dust and litter around the hotel, that should NOT happen. Even though this is the highest of season, our routines should be good enough to handle that. I have talked to the department manager, and she will have a "go-through" with the persons resposible for that.

The minibar is suppose to be empty, sp that our guest can use it as a fridge - and bring their own drink etc - which they can also buy in our shop in the lobbyarea if the need something.

It pleases me to hear that you liked the resturant, every day I am amazed at the view.
in addition to the great service and good food of course. :-)

Wishing you a wonderful summer, and hope to see you at our lovely hotel again soon.

Stony Plain, Canada
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Overall it was a great experience. Food again was excellent at breakfast--similar to other locations in the Scandic chain. A little trouble finding parking--the desk clerk could have been a bit more helpful in this regard. The hotel is right on the harbour. The breakfast room has a nearly panoramic view of the harbour. While the building is not much to look at from the outside the inside is very nice.

Dear Jimfromalberta.

Thank you so much for taking the time, to write a review and give us feedback.

It`s always so nice to see that our guest truly liked their stay at our charming hotel.
And the view - I totally agree. Every day - I enjoy a coffee in the diningroom, and every day - equally impressed by the beautiful view.

I will talk to the clerks at check-in to make sure that it is natural for us to give information about the parking.

Hope to see you again here at our nice hotel.

Wishing you and yours a great summer.

LONDON
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Stayed at the Scandic in Alesund for 3 nights in June/July 2013. Hotel is excellently positioned right on the harbour and is well decordated throughout with many of the rooms having sea views. Staff were very friendly and helpful and the breakfast was truly substantial. The free daily brownies were also a bonus. Alesund is a great town full of character and well worth a visit. Paid 595 NOK per night for a family room which is a bargain for Norwegian standards. Highly recommend a stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Gareth H!

I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at out lovely hotel, and thank you so much for taking the time to share that on trip-advisor.

Every day I am breathtaken by the stunning view, and I can truly understand what you mean.
We are very proud of our hotel, both the hotel itself, the food (breakfest, dinners etc) - but mostly our great staff.
It pleases me to hear that you liked the brownies, they are home-made by our first chef Adam. If you choose to come back - I can see if I can trick the recipe from him. :-)

Wishing you and your family a wonderful summer.

stockton on tees
Reviewed June 17, 2013

stayed here in june 2013 for two nights,first of all the hotel location is excelent about a ten minute walk from the centre over the bridge,my room had a lovely view of the harbour,bed was so comfortable,when in the breakfast room the view outside was breathtaking.ihad breakfast which is included in price and it was the best breakfast i have ever had in a hotel in Norway,plenty of choice.i had evening meal in the restaurant and the two girls were realy excelent as were the staff on reception.i would definately stay here again ,Alesund is alovely place and the walk up the 498 steps to the top of mount Aksla is well worth it

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Silje Viken S, General Manager at Scandic Alesund, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear MelB888

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. It really made all of us working here very happy.
I so glad that you enjoyed staying here, and that you like our beautiful little city. We are very proud of both the hotel, and the city.

We are - like you - very happy with the breakfest concept, and I am glad you enjoyed it. I can tell you that after walking up all the stairs to Fjellstua, you don`t have to worry about the breakfest being tempting. That is quite a climb :-)

I hope to see you here at our beautiful hotel again soon.

Wishing you and yours a wonderful summer.

Little Compton, Rhode Island
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed at the Scandic Alesund for three nights, from May 17-20, 2013. First of all, Alesund is a fabulous place to visit, unique in its architecture, and scenic beyond imagination! There are a good number of local restaurants from which to choose, and we were privileged to be staying in the city center, right on the harbor. The Scandic did not disappoint in any way. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful and informative. The pastries and coffee at the desk were also a nice touch on check-in. We were traveling with our daughter, her husband, our two grandsons, and our newborn granddaughter. Our daughter and her husband took our standard room, and we opted to room with the boys in the family suite. The suite was well appointed, with a full bed (two twins together, with their own bedding- no wrestling with the blankets!), a pull-out futon, and a Pack-n-Play. The kids even had their own cartoon pillows ( a nice extra touch). The room was clean and well-lit, and the bathroom had a large walk-in shower, with a hand-held shower for easy all-over rinsing. The only soap and shampoo is a dispenser of combo soap/shampoo, so if your are particular about your bath products, remember to bring your own! There is a hair dryer, not very powerful, but adequate. I had to keep holding the button down to use mine, but I don't know if that was an issue with my appliance or the nature of all the hair dryers in the hotel; nevertheless, it was nice to have a hair dryer. Plenty of fluffy towels, but NO WASHCLOTHS. I am an American, accustomed to using facecloths, so this was an inconvenience for me (try washing with a water-weighted hand towel!). This is typical of most European and Scandinavian hotels, so I should have been proactive and packed a facecloth. This in no way detracted from the hotel, but if I had to make a suggestion it would be to maybe have facecloths available for us spoiled American travelers! The restaurant was not open much during our stay because of it being a holiday weekend, and the restaurant is also closed on Sunday, but we did have one dinner there, and it was good enough, not great. The BREAKFAST BUFFET, on the other hand, was one of the best I have ever seen! It was kept fully stocked, and there was every choice imaginable. There was even an open griddle area where one could make as many "svela"s as they wanted (we call them pancakes, but the batter was made with a sourdough base- how a waiter described it to me- and they were a hit, even fun to make!) Service at the restaurant was excellent. The dining room overlooks Alesund Harbor, and the view is stunning. Our rooms were cleaned and neatened every day. I had no idea what to expect, having never stayed in a Scandinavian hotel before, but I have to say, I felt as if I were in a Marriott Hotel, with a few unique differences that only enhanced the experience for me. The free WiFi was also a plus. Alesund is one of the most memorable places I have been in all my travels, and the Scandic was definitely incorporated into my memory of the overall time there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Debra C
Dear Debra C!

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. It gave me chills reading your response to us.
We where so happy that you were so satisfyed with your stay here at our beautiful hotel, and it made me so proud - both for the hotel and our wonderful staff. We have printed the review, and hung it in our cantina - as a reminder - that THIS is the way we want all our guests to feel staying with us.
Please, if you ever come back to Alesund, come see me. It will be a pleasure meeting you.

Wishing you and your family a wonderful summer.

Best regards Silje

P.S If you return - I will garantee you that I will bring you a facecloth! :-)