“Wonderful view on the harbour as located in the centre of town, very friendly an helpful reception, rooms are tiny with interior”
Review of Scandic Alesund

Scandic Alesund
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Alesund
Reviewed June 6, 2012 via mobile

Ask for a room facing the harbour or internal court - mine was on the 2nd floor facing the street, so could hear all conversations... Go out to eat as dinner is very basic while costly! The same goes for bar selection - a good choice would be hotel bryggen just 2 buildings away with an excellent barman.

• Stayed: May 2012

Reviewed May 23, 2012

Most staff were really great here. Restaurant menu is quite basic and not open Sundays
We stayed two weeks so were bored with the food after the fist week. I had a great room on the 5th floor with amazing views
The centre of town is a short walk. Overall I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed May 19, 2012

What a nice spot! The hotel is perfectly located and has absolutely superb views from the rooms.
The newly renovated dining room is on the water's edge overlooking the harbour, making it a wonderful spot to dine. The breakfast is brilliant. The rooms may be a bit frayed at the edges but they have character, far more so than many over priced, so called, 5 star hotels. The staff are professional and friendly. I can highly recommend it, also for seasoned travelers used to 5 star pomp.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank MC H
ScandicAlesund, General Manager at Scandic Alesund, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2012

Thank you very much for your review. We are glad to hear you liked our hotel, and especially our newly renovated restaurant.

Best regards from team Scandic Ålesund

Reviewed May 5, 2012

Would stay there again. Great views of the harbour although the windows could be bigger. Great breakfast and has a shuttle bus that takes you to and from the airport. Close to everything.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Silviamcc
ScandicAlesund, Manager at Scandic Alesund, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2012

Thank you for your review! I am delighted to hear you liked our view, breakfast and the convient shuttle service. Hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed May 1, 2012

Location very good. But hotel needs modernisation. When I was there Hotel lobby was redone. Rooms could do with new furniture and a good paint. Hotel staff very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Stayed for 2 nights 17th & 18th April. Hotel lobby was being refurbished. There was lot of noise...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Amarjit M
ScandicAlesund, General Manager at Scandic Alesund, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2012

Dear Amarjit,

thank you for your review! I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our service and location. We are now done with our renovation of the lobby and restaurant, hope you get a chance to visit us again and see the result.

Reviewed April 24, 2012

I stayed in this hotel on business - paid for by the company - for 4 nights, mid April.
I had already been forewarned that the restaurant was closed for refurbishment, but was also told not to worry as they had an 'arrangement' with a nearby restaurant.
That is there was an arrangement only when it suited the restaurant. I went to get a dinner one evening to be told they were full. I mentioned the special arrangement with the hotel to which they just shrugged and said 'too bad'.
Originally I arrived late at night - about 11 pm. Not once did the receptionist ask if I needed any drinks or food etc. So I went to the room thinking I would just have a decent cup of tea before bed - Hah no chance!!! There are no facilities in the room for tea or coffee making!!!!
I walked down to reception to ask if there was any ice water machine to which the receptionist went and filled my bottle. Not once was I asked if there was anything else they could do for me - and that is normal hotel courtesy surely.
So going to bed to sleep off my annoyance ---- there is no central light switch to turn off the numerous individual lights around the room. How backward is that. So leaving the light on above the bed to read for a minute or two I realise that I would have to get OUT of bed just to switch the bedside light off. The switch was way too high up on the wall. Aaaaggghhhh.
On the desk there was minimal information - and none in english anyway. But nothing to say anything about the town, places to visit, information about the hotel - meal times, checkout time, facilities available - NOTHING of any use at all. And to top it all the t.v. came out of the arc. It is a long time since I have stayed in a hotel without a flat screen t.v.
So after the first night the soap above the sink ran out - never mind the maid will top it up. Well I'm sure she will one day - it sure didn't happen while I was there and that was even after I took a written card to reception. The day after that the soap above the bath ran out too. Forget complaining - they just smile and say thank you then ignore you.
If you want a hotel with staff that are attentive to your needs and ask if there is anything they can do, make sure you have all that you want and try to make your stay as comfortable as possible then stay someplace else!!!

no restaurant or proper arrangement despite being told otherwise.

Room Tip: try a different hotel
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Dear ChengSpalding,
thank you for your review of our hotel. We constantly strive to improve ourselves, and your feedback certainly gives us areas to improve on. On behalf of the hotel I apologise for not giving you the attentive service as deserved.

We hope to welcome you back, and give you a chance to visit our newly re-opened restaurant.

Reviewed April 12, 2012

We stayed here as family of 4 , 2kids 8, 3. The hotel is centrally located. Some of the rooms are basic and the one's on the ground floor are well furnished. Better get a room facing the sea with balcony. The view is amazing. I would rather choose a room with a view, than just a modern room.
Breakfast was good. But the service at breakfast was poor, and we saw the staff rushing to remove all the food, in-spite of us being seated there.
City central, old town and wharf area are all in 5 mins radius.
Over all, our stay was good and i would recommend. If with family better take suite room,as it has separate living area too.

Room Tip: Facing the sea and with balcony !
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
ScandicAlesund, General Manager at Scandic Alesund, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2012

Thank you for your review! It is always good to get such valuable feedback.
Pleased to hear you like our location and will reccomend us again. With regards to the breakfast service, we will certainly review our standards and are currently working on improving this.

Hope to welcome you and your family again to Scandic Ålesund!