“Happy diners”

Cuisines: Norwegian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We ate at C & C on Saturday, November 17th. We had made reservations earlier in the week, and were a bit disappointed when we saw the outside of the restaurant as we toured the city early on Saturday morning. From the outside we had the impression of an Indian cafe (which is fine if that's what's on for the evening). With the tables set on Saturday night the restaurant made a much better impression.

Having lived in Norway for many years I know that restaurant service here can be very sketchy, but the service at C & C was great: prompt, patient and polite. The menu was varied; there were so many things that sounded good so it wasn't easy to make a decision. There were four of us - two teenagers and two adults - and we all enjoyed our main courses, desserts (the teenagers raved about the dark chocolate mousse) and beverages. If you like beer, we highly recommend the local Slogen (especially the darker ale) from a micro-brewery. The wine selection is large and the prices weren't bad (for Norway). I ordered 1/2 a carafe of an Italian wine and was a bit taken back when the first - and then the second - taste was off. The waitress didn't put up a stink, removed the carafe, and brought an excellent replacement.

After dinner, we headed out into the November dark, not minding at all the wind and whipping rain of Ålesund after such a nice dining experience.

1  Thank Respectful-Traveler

Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

Fabolous experience of traditional Norwegian cusine. Fantastic !
Rakfisk a culinary treat.
Good atmosphere, interesting to hear about history of traditional foods.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Although we were staying at the Clarion Collection Bryggen Hotel in Ålesund which included a complimentary evening buffet, we decided to treat ourselves to a meal in a restaurant for one night during our time in the city. After consulting Trip Advisor and checking the menus in many restaurants, we settled upon C&C as it seemed to offer an interesting menu at reasonable prices (for Norway!)

The restaurant is rather small and intimate and very popular so we were lucky to get a table without making a reservation. I think that next time we would be sure to reserve one in advance, just to be on the safe side.

The waitress was friendly and helpful and the ambiance was lovely. Just the place for treating yourself to a special meal.

Unfortunately, only one reindeer dish was left so I ordered this and my husband ordered the klippfish gratin. The quality of both these main courses was superb, perfectly cooked, and neither of us was disappointed with our choice.

Afterwards, I could not resist the trio of homemade fruit liqueurs with accompanying mini desserts. This was beautifully presented. The liqueurs tasted heavenly: strawberry, cherry and raspberry, and the mini desserts were all absolutely scrumptious: white and dark chocolate mousse, strawberry pannacotta and raspberry sorbet. I could quite happily eat this every day for the rest of life, it was so good. The chef popped out of the kitchen to see if I was enjoying his dessert creation and I was very happy to compliment him on his skill.

I am sure that we will revisit this wonderful little restaurant at our earliest opportunity.

1  Thank tasmanian-wolf
Reviewed September 26, 2012

This restaurant was a nice surprise. We had found it on tripadvisor before our trip to Alesund, and it seemed like the best compromise between quality and price. We were not disappointed!

The three meal course was quite interesting, but we wanted to try local meats so we opted for individual courses. The starter with cured raindeer meat was very good, but my fish soup was the winner! The main courses were a dish with veal and one with raindeer again, and here both were perfect. The meats were cooked very well (medium rare) and the different accompaniments fitted nicely the meal. I even got to try moose sausage! We did not get dessert, but the blueberry cheesecake that our neighbours were eating looked delicious.

The prices are fairly reasonable for a place that creates original menus and uses local ingredients. The atmosphere is quite intimate, with less then 15 tables in the room, but it enhances the experience in my mind.

I would only say that being a smaller place, it might get busy, so you may want to book and plan to not expect your food to arrive immediately at your table. The other problem is parking (only on street in a fairly residential area). But I encourage you to brave these negative points and give this restaurant a try!

1  Thank Jeremy_Traveller
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Recently eat here. The food was average and the service less than average. We had the set menu. The food was well presented but not special. Small things detracted like cold plates so food cooled quickly. There was one waitress and whilst polite she clearly could not manage the 18 covers they had in. We waited 12 minutes to get a menu and water. The first and second course came promptly enough but then a wait for desert. No top up of water through the meal, but we did get a top up of water with the bill, when we were told they do not take foreign credit or debit cards. (we learnt later that they had had fraud problems with their ATM machine and the restriction was currently not their fault but the effect is the same - cash only for now)