“nice venue, but overpriced, unimaginative menu, salty food (our visit)”
Review of Dickens Restaurant - CLOSED

Dickens Restaurant
Cuisines: European, Norwegian, Cafe, Pub
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Welcome to our restaurant next to the blue rock en the centre of Torgalmenningen.In addition to Dickens restaurant the complex contains Kontoret Bar which is fully licenced bar with at focus on singel malt Whisky and a great variation of Norwegian and international beers. Kontoret Bar also serves food from the restaurant menu.Dickens restaurant offers a great variation of lunch dishes during day time, and dinner a`la carte starts at 4 pm every day.Dickens restaurant offers outdoor seating with full menu during summer months (weather permitted).Welcome to a great experience in a restaurant that have served customers for more than 25 years.
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Two of us ate dinner at Dickens in the beginning of Dec. 2013. As several other reviewers have pointed out, the menu is nothing special, and the prices are high for mediocre food (location, location, location). My companion's rice and salmon were both too salty: left my lips burning. We sent that plate back, and the second try was edible though the rice was still unusually salty. I asked the waiter (half jokingly) if the cook was new, but he replied (in all seriousness) No, and the cook "didn't agree". Don't think I will eat again at a place where the cook doesn't taste salt...
I had to check the menu now to figure out what I ate (not the most memorable meal, in other words: sjømatgrytte, seafood stew. Was ok but pretty tasteless.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

Absolutley one of the best meals that I have eaten in a long while - my boyfriend had the lamb shank and I had Reindeer steak - which were both absolutely delicious!!!!
HIGHLY RECCOMMENDED!

2  Thank LauraRose
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Visited here for lunch during a recent business trip to Bergen. Good selection available, but in the end I settled for the Dickens Sandwich. Sandwich was excellent, however along side came the smallest portion of chips/fries I've ever been served. A little disappointing!

Free wifi available if you ask for login details at the bar.

1  Thank Peter_abz76
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Lovely menu full of typical Norwegian dishes. The Victorian décor, friendly service coupled with delicious cuisine made it a truly memorable experience.

2  Thank Tanja C
Reviewed September 25, 2013

The outdoor tables at Dickens are great for people watching on a sunny summer afternoon, as we discovered when we stopped for a glass of wine and light snack. We later enjoyed a dinner at an indoor table. The food was well prepared and tasty, and moderately priced for Bergen. A good choice.

2  Thank atwc