“This restaurant should have a Michelin star”

Colonialen Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 409 Restaurants in Bergen
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Sentrum
Reviewed June 14, 2014

In my job, I'm lucky enough to get to eat pretty regularly in top restaurants throughout the world. My visit to Colonialen, however, was during my leisure time, and I was spending my own money - and I could not have been happier with it.

Colonialen is without question top-tier - superbly-executed, imaginative food; wonderful, enthusiastic yet discreet service by charming staff; a wine list with excellent examples at all price levels; and catering around a friend's allergy was no trouble at all. Colonialen is easily comparable with Launceston Place, Dabbous, The Square, for example... and Michelin should remedy its sorry lack of interest in Nordic cities other than the capitals, as soon as humanly possible!

3  Thank Cathy G

Reviewed May 27, 2014

I had dinner with a group of work colleagues and clients.
Not many words are needed to describe the experience: absolutely fantastic.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Took the 10 course meal with wine package and had a well balanced and nice journey through different tastes. All courses passsed with good marging to achieve a green light. Wine package was as I always fin wine packages in resturants...good but missed the extremely good vintages.
This review refer to the new colonialen after moving out from engen to kong oscarsgt.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

We have wanted to try Colonialen for a while but in the old place they were so small it was hard to get a table. With their new, larger restaurant setting this was made easier and we managed to book in when we wanted to. I was excited from what I had heard whereas my husband was more apprehensive. But we were both blown away by the service, the food and the wine pairings. The knowledge of the waiters was also impressive and we could not fault this restaurant much even if we wanted to. We had the 12 course menu with 12 course wine package. This in turn became 14 courses due to several amuse-bouche's being served to us at the start. Plus bread of course. So you will certainly not leave hungry.
From the start we both loved every course. We had chicken hearts as an amuse-bouche and it was delicious. As was the oyster foam and mussles in a strange egg-like sack. Tasted delicious. We then had foie gras cream with oxtail which was fantastic. The scallop was extremely tasty, the aspargus, the ravioli, the smoked crayfish, risotto, the sweetbreads, cod and pork were all just brilliant. Michelin worthy if you ask me and I am comparing to the real thing. If I were to criticise anything it would be the desserts. The cheese was very good as well but I was not blown away by the biscuity cake with cream and the chocolate ganache was delicious but maybe too much at the end of 13 other courses. Also, though this is my problem rather than the restaurant, but 12 winepairings was too much in volume. They refill your glass as well which makes for better value for money but more of a sore head the day after... They also only had 1 wine package which they did not tell us the price of which turned out to double the cost of the meal. Either way, these are only minor quibbles - this restaurant is fantastic! I am not sure why Michelin has not been there already and raved about it.
Was it expensive? Yes, probably. But then by Norwegian standards and with all the courses and wine we had, not really. If I go again, I will probably have the 7 course tasting menu instead. Not because of price but because it was a lot and too much wine for me. But that is a luxury problem to have. Well done Colonialen. Do try it if you get a chance!

3  Thank Holly_London
Reviewed March 18, 2014

No doubt Colonialen offers a unique culinary experience.
We had the 7 courses menu. Small portions, high focus on the raw material, on the combination of taste . The Chief did impressed all of us with very original dishes.
The menu included different wines for each dish and the combination was excellent
The service is higly professional thought I am not always intrested in earing all the story around the wines and the food, especially when 7 dishes and 7 wines are involved. At time it does arm the conversation around the table.
The price is really high, the concept seems to aim business people and very special occasions.
We payed ca. 250 Euro per person wich is almost twice what I am used to pay in Bergen.