“Fine dining for a special night out”
Review of Colonialen

Colonialen
Ranked #29 of 373 Restaurants in Bergen
Cuisines: European, Scandinavian, Norwegian, International
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Sentrum
Bergen, Norway
“Fine dining for a special night out”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I've often stopped by the deli upstairs for sandwiches but this was the first time I've been here for dinner.

My boyfriend and I went for the 5 course meal with the wine list and coffees afterwards. The food and wine pairings were exceptional. I appreciated it was food and culinary techniques I had never tried before such as quail in one course and seabuckthorn sorbet with dessert or the paprika foam on the mussels.

The customer service was some of the best I've experienced in Norway. The staff was very accomodating with dietary needs (and the dietary-needs food was just as good as the normal food if not better) and the atmosphere was relaxed and friendly. Top marks for hospitality.

As an added bonus the chairs were comfortable and we were able to sit next to each other in the corner. We were there for four hours but it just felt like two.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Jessica M

Stavanger, Norway
“Unique food&wine experience in a relaxed atmosphere”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

After having travelled large parts of Norway, I find that either the Norwegian restaurants are pretentious and /or expensive compared to quality and ability of preparing exciting menu's. Colonialen in Bergen was surprisingly good, totally exceeding expectations regarding menu, service, creativity and harmony of the 7 course meal, including an exquisite wine menu to go with the dishes. The price was more than matching the experience and should not be argued as I have paid a lot more for less other places. Even in Copenhagen and Stockholm. The menu was fantastic composed, and the ability to surprise and use local fresh ingredients to create harmony in taste and not overdoing it, was incredible. The knowledge of the staff and the ability of the kitchen came together in a way I must say is an exprerience worth for all appreciating love and affection to food and wine. We will be back, maybe even as an attraction in itself. Fantastic !!!
Kind regards
// Per Kristian Grünbaum

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Per Kristian G
“Fine dining in Bergen - exquisite food with prices to match”
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

I've had seared scallops with cauliflower purée lots of times, he'll I've made them. But this was something else with parsley oil and cauliflower foam and leaves. The king crab that followed was also amazing but the turbot that followed that should have been filleted. And the duck was good but not great. The cheese was very good - we all loved the Norwegian blue - kraftkar. I wish we hadn't had the wine flight though - the first two glasses were Alsace followed by Riesling - two of my least favourite - they bloody love that in this country - wish I 'd ordered the Chablis which would have been cheaper. The red was amazing. Norway is eye wateringly expensive - and this is at the waterfall end - but I did think it was worth it. Dinner for three - five courses with wine
flight £550.

• Visited August 2013
Bergen, New York, United States
“Top of the world”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

The chefs,vaitors/somaliers here are worthy a new rating in the Michelin guide , 4 stars!!! The feeling you get here is one of a kind, wines,food and atmosphere is unique and we love this place so mutch!! Deeply recommended!

• Visited June 2013
Bergen, Norway
“amazing place in town”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

good food. I like their brunch, and tried biff tatar for the first time. They are using the best food to presenting the meal.

• Visited March 2013