“Finally!”

Ranked #12 of 393 Restaurants in Bergen
Cuisines: Norwegian
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: We do not take table reservations. We are a small place with limited amount of tables. Please come by and we will try to help you to get a seat. The busiest hours are between seven and eight. We serve dinner/lunch from 12-22, and have a night menu after 22. Welcome!
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We are still a bit shell shocked by the prices in Norway, but finally found a restaurant that lived up to the cost. Wonderful salmon, great Norwegian meatballs, and a casual, fun atmosphere. This place is worth seeking out. Hint:grab any open seating you see as it's every man for himself here. Also, order at the bar as they won't come to you for your order.

2  Thank M W
There are newer reviews for Pingvinen

Reviewed May 4, 2013

This cafe bar was very busy. The food was excellent and the staff helpfully identified what all the menu items were. My companion had raspeboll which is only served on Thursdays. This is potato dumpling with lots of other things, she got salted pork, rutabaga (swede), sausage and bacon. I had meatballs (kjottkaker) which came with mashed peas, carrots, new potatoes and red berries. All very delicious and the staff were great.
Watch out for the bar stools and be sure to wedge yourself on them if you want to continue to see your companion!

2  Thank jakradice
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Pingvinen really feels like a local pub (Brits will understand!) Lots of bar stools and a few tables, so grab a seat when you can - although I'd eat their food standing up it's so good! I was lucky enough to go on a Thursday when they were serving a traditional meal of potato dumplings, salted lamb and roughly mashed swede and bacon - Raspeball. It came in huge amounts on a huge plate, but I ate it all! My friend had meatballs with red berry sauce and was equally enthusiastic. All washed down with delicious local Norwegian beer! I would definitely recommend this as a real Norwegian expereince - and the staff are so lovely and friendly and welcoming! It may seem expensive by English standards, but the quality was second to none. I would definitetly go back - in fact i wish I had gone back the next night as the restaurant we chose then was not so good.

1  Thank hildegarde12-07
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We sought this pub out after reading the reviews. It's exactly as they say, not as pricey as other places, local atmosphere & the bar staff were happy to translate the menu. My partner had the meat balls & I opted for the Lapskaus after reading review seeking this dish. Personality I thought it was just like The Welsh Cawl, the meal cost around £35. We sat on bar stools looking out & I noticed plenty of people going into the restaurant next door, it was our last day, no chance to try it.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

We were in Bergen as a stop on a cruise and wanted to try a typical Norwegian meal. Pingvinen worked out really well for us as we had been walking around on a showery day and welcomed a nice hot and hearty lunch that was not too far off from the wharf. There are limited tables so larger groups should come early. There are some comfortable arm chairs in the pub - great for those wanting to relax a bit longer.