“Neat Apartment hotel”

InCity Hotel and Apartments
Ranked #41 of 49 Hotels in Bergen
Reviewed July 25, 2014

Norway seems to be one of the most expensive places in the world where you buy a can of light beer for NOK 30 in a supermarket and the MacDonalds meal costs about a 100 NOK. Hotels like the Incity help you save your money as you travel. The rooms are really studio apartments equipped very thoughtfully with a kitchen that has more or less everything you need, a hot plate, microwave oven, dishwasher refrigerator, coffee maker and water heater besides all utensils! It was better equipped than the holiday home that we stayed in in Balestrand. This can really come in handy in a city like Bergen. All you need to do is walk down to the little Kiwi shop around the block and buy your stuff. Neat! Remember the shop is closed on a Sunday and Norway does not sell beer on Sundays ( You'll find only ones with 2.5% alcohol in some stores that are open)The apartments are adequately big and i liked the fire extinguisher next to the bed! Just in case you get too experimental! Rooms in the back have no real view and looks into the backyard of the building. Lift size is adequate to carry large luggage. Check in is only at 3 pm but the reception can store your luggage while you wait for your room. The are nightclubs nearby but no noise filtered in into the backyard, which is an obvious advantage, Breakfast is normally served in the Bocca restaurant next door, but during our stay it was being renovated and was served in an auditorium next door. It is just about adequate, a couple of breads, juice some cold meat, cheese, some fruit and a pie served on one occasion. Wifi is free and fast and allows multiple devices. Its ESP are the apartments for the price of a hotel room! Oh, and another one. fantastic location in the city centre with the ferry terminals, train station and main attractions within walking distance.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sanhan10
There are newer reviews for InCity Hotel and Apartments

Reviewed June 24, 2014

Perhaps the fault was mine. I searched for a hotel near the heart of Bergen to stay in before and after our trip on the Hurtigruten. It's in a fine location, It might be OK for a small family that wants to cook their own meals, but for a couple looking for anything above a 2-star hotel, this is the wrong place. The staff is dismissive and aloof. The room featured uncomfortable bed slabs (forcing us to use the fold-out couch for sleeping, which proved no better). The remodeling noise outside began at 0700, and included huge chunks of wall material dropped from the floor above into a dumpster. The bathroom included a used Q-tip on the floor, which lived there for 3 days. The hallways were dingy and unclean. The dryer in the claustrophobic laundry room had such an accumulation of lint (deep in its interior, so that I feared trying to clean it out) that I feared it would start a fire. As it was, the lint pile caused the dryer to be quite inefficient. The rubber surround on the washer door was thick with black mold. The elevator had a dirty plastic frame, where usually an ad would be, that had nothing in it in the 3 days we were there. I could go on and on about the plethora of disappointments, but suffice to say that we cancelled our return stay. Everything about this place screams, Cheap! but the fact is, we payed an exorbitant amount (over 5000 NOK) for 3 miserable days. And the breakfast was worse than a Motel 6.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ralphalpha
Reviewed June 9, 2014

I stayed at this place for 10 nights which is a more than an average hotel stay. The presence of kitchenette is that is well-equipped is very helpful for such stays. Also, the laundry facilities were very nice to have but they are a bit limited -- only two washing machines and two dryers for 8 floors of rooms? Doesn't add up. The doors don't lock automatically which is a bit annoying.

Based on the tip provided by a fellow traveller, I asked for a room to the inside of the hotel and this was granted. Noise was minimal (almost not there), so sleep quality was excellent.

Customer service is alright, but it depends on who you talk with. For example, I didn't have the dishwasher cubes in my room. I asked the girl at the reception and she said she will get me some. Next day, I asked the reception guy and he said that they don't provide any and that I need to buy them. Well, I am not going to buy a whole box to use three cubes. The day after, I saw the same girl: she walked over with me and got me plenty of dishwasher cubes.

The furniture is basic but functional. The TV is only in Norwegian; however, the wireless connection is reliable so if you don't speak Norwegian, you will appreciate this fact.

The hotel is central; well, Bergen is small anyway. The train station is 5 minutes away, Floyen is an hour hike (and if you want to take the funicular, it is 5 minutes away); everything else is close by. There is a Rema 1000 within 1 minute walking if you want to stock your fridge in the room.

The bathroom is alright with a basic shower cubicle. I also think that the sofa converts into a bed but I didn't need to open it up since I was by myself.

The breakfast is basic without much variety. A toaster would be helpful and perhaps some more variety given the price for the room.

All in all, I would recommend this place but you should know what to expect.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 2, 2014

We arrived at the hotel in the afternoon, and all the rooms were ready for us. Two at the back of the apartment building, and one at the front. They told me the day after that the room at the front was smaller and quite noisy from bars and people at night, while our room was quiet. Everything was functional, but nothing more. The elevator was too small for all six, the room had a dodgy door lock which meant that you had to check the door twice when leaving the room, and everything in the room was done the cheapest way, e.g the terrible shower head that savnes water and makes a lot of noise. Also, the breakfast bar was next to the hotel and OK, but when we arrived there was no bread, no scrambled eggs, no fruit, no cups and no plates left... That left a bad impression even though the breakfast was adequate to start with. One of the receptionists didn't understand norwegian (!) and was of no help. On the other hand, it was centrally located, the rooms were big and gave us the opportunity to gather in the evening. We could also leave our bags in a storage room by the reception, which was essential to us. Would probably not stay again.

Room Tip: The higher up the better!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Annepanne10
Reviewed April 24, 2014

It´s a good hotel to stay for visiting Bergen. It´s in the city center very close to everything. The breakfast is in a restaurant next to the hotel and it´s a nice place to stay. It´s more an apartment than a hotel room, so you can buy your meal in one supermarket and eat in your room. The next time we visit Bergen we´ll stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Santi1971
Reviewed January 15, 2014

at 3:00 a.m. three apparently drunk people walked right in our room! I went out and tested the door and sure enough, you didn't need to use a key to open it! Room was dingy, old. Location was good. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank TexasTammy
Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

The room was large, although the sleeping area was kinda tight. There was a small kitchen and a living room too, where the TV set was installed. The view from the window was inwards an alleyway, thus not good at all. The breakfast was served in a restaurant beside the hotel and it was awful, the smell of the place to start with. I wouldn't stay again.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple