All reviews main bus extra towels budget hotel communal kitchen call button city box human interaction fuss free coin operated clean place to stay clean room and bathroom the ground floor check in process room card train station walking distance nice lounge
Selected filters
Reviewed May 1, 2019

This is a great find for those who are on a budget but don't want to compromise location and cleanliness. The rooms are simple as are the bathrooms but they are comfortable and clean. The hotel is located just steps away from the Bergen Central Station. It is very easy to reach this property with the airport shuttle which leaves you just minutes away. The hotel is also walking distance from the main parts of the city center and other areas of interest. There is no need for public transportation or taxis unless you are going to the airport.
The property has a kitchen/dining area which is perfect for those budget conscious people who have been spooked by the notoriously high prices of Norway's restaurants. Most of the guests bought groceries and prepared their own dinners/lunches in this convenient area.

Upon making my reservation, I was a bit apprehensive about the fact that there was no check-in counter and that you had to check-in and get your room key from a machine outside the main lobby. My worst fears materialized when my credit card and access code did not work when trying to check-in. Fortunately this machine has a call button and an attendant is always on hand to assist guests who have technical issues with the check in kiosk.

All in all I was extremely pleased with my stay here and would definitely book at this hotel again!

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank ath0z
CityboxBergen, Daglig leder at Citybox Bergen, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2019

Dear ath0z,

Wow! Thank you for giving us a 5 out of 5 rating!

We just love reading feedback from guests that seems to understand and appreciate our concept! We really do our best to offer a simple and modern solution at what we consider to be a fair rate, so when our guests feel we offer them just that - we are nothing but smiles :)
And even tough our Citybox Hosts are not as visible as receptionists might be at other hotels, there is always a Citybox Host available 24/7 at the hotel in our Host Office on the first floor of the hotel, and they magically appear when they are needed, as they are the ones interacting with guests on the chat/telephone/e-mail :)

We're happy to see that you would recommend us to others, and we hope to have the pleasure of having you as our guest again someday!

Reviewed April 13, 2019

Just needed one night's accommodation and this was a cheaper option for Bergen. Good value for money, good location, very clean and comfortable room - lovely comfy bed and great rain shower! Good wifi connection too. No breakfast included but I had an early flight so no issue for me (think there is a deal with café next door and there are a few shops within walking distance where you could get coffee and a pastry). I checked in and out with the automatic system which was easy to use, no problems at all.

One potential issue was sorted with no problems - when I got to my room (late afternoon/early evening) there was a lot of noise from the room next door. I went for a short walk and when I came back there was still a lot of noise so I went downstairs to ask the 'on-call' host if I would change rooms due to the noise next door. He was very friendly and helpful, said this was no problem and changed my room straight away - great service!

• Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank ItchyFeetGal
CityboxBergen, Daglig leder at Citybox Bergen, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2019

Dear ItchyFeetGal,

Wow, thank you for that amazing rating of our hotel!

We are extremely delighted to see that you enjoyed our concept and our staff :)
Our Citybox Hosts are available and ready to help at all hours, either at the host office in the lobby, or by the call button next to the check-in/check-out terminals. Sometimes a guest can be a little less considerate, but then we really appreciate a heads-up, so that we can address the situation right away.

We hope to have the pleasure of having you as our guest again someday, and we wish you a nice week!

Reviewed April 12, 2019

Had a long drive from Vestfold to Bergen and arrived quite late at night. I tried several Hostels to find a cheap place to sleep, but no one was available. So I called Citybox and a very kind person on the phone answered at once and said just come here and we can help you.
The price was very good and I was supported quick and smooth. I got my room and walked into a very nice room, delicate and just perfect size for me. Shower and toilet was clean and top quality. Bed was also very comfortable and I slept well. The room I had was also very quiet no noice from the street or working constructions.
They don't have breakfast, but have an agreement with a coffee shop nearby, where you can buy breakfast and get 10% discount if you show your room card. I didn't try the breakfast, slept long after a hard day.
The staff was very helpfull and I really appreciate their service and support. Even I checked out in the morning (12:00) I could stay in the lobby and use the internet and they had a coffee machine I could buy coffee or chocolate for 10,- NOK and it tast very good.
They don't have a garage or parking slots, so you must use the parking house at Grieg Hallen Parking house. 24 hours cost 230,- NOK

I can really recommend Citybox Bergen with all my heart.

Room tip: I stayed at room 301, back side no traffic noice
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank Noafrjo

Dear 650julia2017,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review of our hotel!

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you felt that you got good value for money, as that is one of our goals :)
As you mention, breakfast and parking is not included in our room rates, but are available right next to the hotel for those who need it. This way we can keep the room rate much lower than many of our competitors, instead of charging everyone for it through the room rate, even if you don't use it!

We hope you enjoyed your time in Bergen, and we hope to welcome you back someday!

Best regards

Reviewed April 9, 2019

Pros:
- Located within 10 mins walk from the Bergen station, and city tram (Bybanen) to the airport
- comfortable and clean room
- kettle available upon request
- fuss free, self check in and out. no need to queue up. For any other request, there is a host sitting in the office ready to help.
- pantry area with microwave, vending machines, and kettle.Dinning table available for use.
- luggage room available for safe keeping
- close proximity to supermarkets
- walking distance to fish market / Floibanen

Cons
- nil

Great hotel, good location

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chia H

Dear Chia H,

Thanks for your very kind review of our hotel!

We wish you a nice day, and we thank you again for writing such a nice review!

Reviewed April 4, 2019

The self check in was simple and easy. Room was not too small and beds were comfortable. However, there was nobody to clean our room or empty the bin during our two days stay. It was within walking distance to parks and museums and malls. There was a supermarket across the hotel.

Date of stay: March 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
CityboxBergen, Daglig leder at Citybox Bergen, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2019

Dear sllim2015,

Disappointed to read that you weren't all happy with your stay with us!

We understand that our concept is not for everyone as we know we are different. We try to be totally honest about what we aim to be, and we remove/reduce and minimize to keep our running costs low - and in return we offer a lower price than most of our competitors.
It is right that we don't service the rooms every day, but we are more than happy to help you with clean towels or an empty garbage bin if you ask us at the Citybox Host office in the lobby.

We hope that you would give us a second chance, should you ever come back to Bergen, and we wish you a nice day!

Best regards