“Enjoyable stay - you get what you pay for”

Clarion Collection Hotel Havnekontoret
Ranked #5 of 46 Hotels in Bergen
London, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable stay - you get what you pay for”
Reviewed September 15, 2010

I stayed here for 1 night in August with 2 friends, the hotel is quite modern with trendy decor, quite spacious and the room i stayed in appeared to have been recently refurbished. The staff at reception were quite friendly and helpful. The only weird thing about the room is the door on the bathroom is glass and only part of the door is frosted. So when someone is in the shower or on the toilet - you can see them (not ideal if you are travelling with friends)

The hotel is walking distance from the main attractions - fish market, bryggen and the funicular (all of which are a must when in Bergen). It is easily reachable from the airport as the airport coach stops outside the hotel (the last stop on the coach) The train station where Norway in a Nutshell tour from Bergen begins, is about 5 minutes in a cab or 15 to 20 minutes walk.

The hotel is quite expensive (circa £260 per night) but it includes both breakfast, a light dinner and pancakes in the afternoon. All of these are self service, and there is not really anyone that is around to assist other than the odd person replenishing the food. Breakfast is pretty standard - bread, eggs, cold meats, cereal coffee & tea. Dinner has a small salad buffet - a hot meal option (there was lasagne when i was there), soup, breads, small selection of cold meats, cheese board and fruit.

Overall on the expensive side, but i think worth it given the location and inclusive meals.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank Carmenater

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Bergen
Reviewed September 12, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel several time and everytime I have been there the service from from the frontdesk are super. The breakfast are ok and so is the light evening buffet. The evening buffet is not ment to be a dinner but there is always one hot dishes and is an extra service from the hotel without any extra cost. This is a perfect hotel to stay at if you are in Bergen. I have tried many other hotels in bergen but Hotel Havnekontoret are absolutely the best! I would come back to this hotel also the next time I sleep over in Bergen.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
UK
Reviewed September 9, 2010

I stayed here for one night on business, and terms of the location, you can't do much better than this - right on Bryggen, the World Heritage site. The hotel is more modern than it looks from the outside and the room I was given was decorated in a kind of gothic-funky style - lots of purples and browns (nicer than it sounds!) My room, 405, was quite a nice size and had a great view over the water at the front of the hotel, but the downside was the noise. I would recommend ear plugs if you're a light sleeper. Oh yes, and they have a DVD player in the room which is a nice touch.

The check in was ok - nothing to make you feel particularly special. I was checking out very early in the morning, which was handy, as I wasn't given any indication as to whether breakfast was included in my rate, and if it was, where it would be served. Neither was any mention made of the make-your-own-pancake time each afternoon (although don't get too excited, it's not as great as it sounds). While I was there, the hairdryer broke mid-use, and to be fair, they brought another to my room very quickly.

The evening of the day that I checked out I realised that I had left an item of clothing in the wardrobe and so called the hotel. I was told that I would have to call back the following day and speak with Rosa, who I have since found out is the housekeeping manager. I duly did so, and was put through to a number that cut me off. When I called them back, I was told Rosa was unavailable and the girl took my number saying Rosa would call me back. This evening, after no call, I tried again and was lucky enough to speak to Kristian. He took it upon himself to find the skirt, (which had been put in a room that any member of staff would have been able to gain access to had they tried), call me at my new hotel (also a CC hotel), and organise sending it to my home address in the UK. He was brilliant, and seemed to feel very guilty that the famous Rosa now wanted to charge me for postage, despite the fact that if someone had dealt with my request in the first place, they would have been able to get it to my hotel here in Oslo before I check out tomorrow. Bearing in mind I'd had to make 4 calls from my UK mobile by this stage, I thought it was a bit rich. However, Kristian knows a lot about customer service, and deserves some recognition! I'll be staying here again after Christmas and will try and meet him while I'm there.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
New England, USA
Reviewed August 28, 2010

We stayed at this hotel at the height of the tourist frenzy in August. The name of this hotel should be the NO Hotel, as in No bellman, No concierge, No clue at the front desk, No extra towels, No washcloths, No bathmat, No bathrobe, No bar soap, No hair conditioner, No shower cap, No body lotion, No phone instructions, No television instructions, No room service, No vacuuming of rooms during stay, No help finding tourist attractions. No answer when calling reception, no one at reception to ensure any kind of security, and No free internet... if you wanted to connect, you had to go to the front desk and get a card that lasted only for a few hours, and if it ran out, you had to go get another. That's not my idea of free, that's my idea of rationing.

In other words, this is a nice looking hostel that throws out a miserly breakfast buffet that looks like hell in 15 minutes after the guests attack it and the staff does nothing to clean it up. By 8:45 AM they were out of croissants (cut in half of course to stretch them further) and the yogurt was slopped over the buffet. In the evening, I discovered (as the staff did not advise us upon check in) that they put out some pasta and cous cous with leftover ham from breakfast, and a plate of some kind of melted dessert that was empty any time I checked the buffet. Would I eat this for my dinner? No, because I am on vacation, and eating this food would not be much of a step up from eating in prison. Is the food expensive in Bergen? You betcha! Come prepared, or go elsewhere.

Interesting that when I asked a staff member about getting to Grieg's house (you'd think an important tourist destination) by public transport, she misinformed me by saying I had to take a taxi or book an expensive tour. Not true, I found out-- there is a public tram that takes you within walking distance. Also notable was the sight of an elderly man using the hotel's handtruck trying to hump his and his wife's luggage up the stone steps in front of the hotel. There isn't even a ramp, let alone a bellman, and I guess the staff that sometimes makes an appearance at the front desk figures it's just not their job to help the guests.

I also saw a guest at the front desk begging for an extra towel because her shower or bath had flooded the floor. The room comes with two thin bath towels, and two thin facetowels. A dispenser in the sink and the shower for all purpose soap. Would I wash my hair with this stuff? No way! Cheap, cheap!

Also interesting is that we booked a so called "deluxe" room and were sent to a cell on the fifth floor with a tiny high window. Claustrophobic doesn't even begin to describe it. When I phoned down to the desk, there was no answer so we had to drag our bags back down to the lobby to ask if there were some mistake about the "deluxe" assignment. "Oh no, that is a deluxe room-- it looks out over the harbor." Only after insisting that the room did not meet out criteria for deluxe did we get a room that was considerably bigger, with two windows, but alas only a stall shower and no tub. Where I travel, they usually advice the guest if the room does not have a tub. Not here in Havnekontoret Prison!

I would avoid this place at all costs and if you possibly can, find a B&B in Bergen. Do you really want to go to Norway? Maybe a nice trip to the Rockies or Wyoming where the prices are about 1/4th and the food and hospitality are way better? It rained all 6 days we were in Bergen. There are mighty pretty mountains and lakes here in the USA, nice thick steaks that don't cost a king's ransom, and they don't pour cream and mayo all over the fish. Bergen was pretty but this hotel put me off so that it made it even harder to bear the very touristy feel and the incredibly high prices for really mediocre meals out.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank Trepidation1
Tlv
Reviewed August 18, 2010

We arrived to the Clarion on a beautiful afternoon, 4 people with 6 pieces of luggage.
We encountered our first shock when a lady at the front desk told us that she was the only one in the hotel, while handing out a key from a storage room - where we were supposed to get the trolley, to carry the luggage to our room.

The room was dark, small and gave an unpleasant feeling of untidiness.
The bedcover was full of stains, the table and the books full of dust and prints from the bottles or glasses that were standing on the table.
But the worst part was the toilet – it was dirty and had hair on it.

We stayed in room nr. 401 - it was so noicy that I would wake up evey morning at 6:00 with a feeling that I've slept in the middle of a buzy highway.

They do not have regular soap in this hotel- you have an all purpose shampoo hanging on the wall. When I asked for a regular soap the front desk screamed at me, claiming that it’s the first time in 4 years that someone is requesting a regular soap, and that I had to bring my own soap if I'm so sensitive.
The corridors of the hotel seemed to lack attention for ages and the carpets and furniture in the open spaces oozed damp, with dirty glasses and coffee cups all over. In conclusion, when we arrived for breakfast we found ourselves surrounded by dirty messy trays with food thrown on them and people trying to get as much food as they can, as we discovered later, the food would be swiped away at exactly 10:00.

The only good thing about this hotel is the location – but there are plenty hotels in the area - I guess they have to be better than the clarion, as it is difficult to be as poor as Clarion really is.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
7 Thank jaig
Wayne, New Jersey
Reviewed August 16, 2010

We picked this hotel, as we were ending the Norway in a Nutshell tour in Bergen and wanted something right on the Bryggen. We were off the next AM to Copenhagen and only had time for a quick spin around the area. The NIN tour train arrives in Bergen about 8:30 and we hopped a cab to be able to get to the hotel in time for the included light supper. We got to the restaurant just before nine to find the buffet tables completely wiped out with no hope of any replenishment. We begged the only person working in the kitchen to rustle us up some bread and cheese. That was very nice of him, but we were very disappointed that the hotel is not set up to deal with NIN travelers. They know when the train arrives. Several other people came a little later and were even more distressed. Other than that, the hotel is situated right where we wanted to be, and the room was tight, but well designed and comfy. It is very convenient to the Airport Shuttle bus, which leaves from right across the street.

We tried to use the WiFi in the room, but the code they gave us didn't work. I don't know if there was a system wide problem, but we got little help from the front desk on this.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David W
ny
Reviewed August 14, 2010

This hotel is expensive!!! Good location, as it is one block away from the wharf. The rooms are nicely decorated, funky, different than most other hotels. If you are coming from the Bergen Airport, take a shuttle bus (looks like coach bus but not sure what it is called, it can be found where the taxis are)- the shuttle bus is 95 NOK per person vs. abt 350 that other cabs wanted. The bus drops you off right infront of the hotel. When we called them on the phone, they said they were all booked, but we found openings online and reserved it thru the internet. Overall, I liked the hotel- the con was the price.

• Stayed August 2010