“Nordic treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Lysverket

Lysverket
Ranked #21 of 370 Restaurants in Bergen
Cuisines: Seafood, European, Scandinavian, Norwegian, International
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bergen, Hordaland, Norway
“Nordic treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

This is nordic from the very beginning; the interior design, food and the nice, informal service. We have been here several times; for lunch and dinner. We come for the food which is excellent. It never fails. Not to forget the bar. They serve the most delicious cocktails. This is a place were they have great coffee. Come for the food and be suprised :-)

Visited June 2014

• Polish first
Bergen, Norway
“Exceptional food, great service, allergies well taken care of”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

I had great expectations to this restaurant and I was not let down. We were a party of five, and I booked the table online about 1 month before our visit, where I informed about various diets and allergies in the group. All this was extremely well taken care off, and I was not worried for a second (which is often not the case when I go out to eat). The food is probably the best I have ever had, the wine that was recommended for us was also great! (We ordered wine by the bottle). The chocolates for dessert / after bite was something out of this world. I highly recommend this restaurant!

• Visited June 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Excellent cuisine and experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

The food at Lysverket is sensational, an imaginative menu with strong use of local ingredients and style. Unsurprisingly that is heavily weighted toward seafood, but not exclusively so. They run a tasting menu, typically with 5 to 8 items and with an option for wine paring. We opted for five, and the parings were exceptional.

Excellent service and very creative food.

One warning: Norway is expensive and so is Lysvrket. As out of towers here for the first time in Norway, we spent close to US$500 on a meal that was, indeed, exceptional, but far higher in price than expected. If you are aware of that and ok with it, then go and have a fantastic meal and experience. If sticker shock is likely to ruin it for you, then find elsewhere.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank D M
New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Local ingredients prepared with great sensitivity served with care in a stunning location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

Young Chef Christopher draws on his great experience at top US restaurants and now turns homeward to create Bergens best dining experience Locally sourced ingredients, creatively prepared with honesty and focus. An earnest staff, superb wines and extraordinary classical views of the park make this a memorable restaurant for one who has dined at many of europe's "best"

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Mon-gout
London
“Let me down compared to some others”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014

I went to Lysverket with some good friends in May. I have to say my expectations were high after many favourable reviews which may also have coloured my experience but overall I just wanted more from this visit.
All in, many things were just "so". We had the large tasting menu and on paper it looked delicious but several of the courses turned out to be too salty. They also could not serve us fast enough which took the joy out of having a tasting menu. We had to ask them twice to slow down. We had no chance to finish our wine before the next one was served and it became a little hectic at times.
Also, mid-evening the DJ sets up and starts blasting out his soft-dance music. This is not what I want from a nice restaurant. Even though it was not very loud it was hard to hear what others at the table were saying and very disturbing when he was setting up as well. I am not sure I understand why he was there but I certainly pity the people that were eating later than us as they would have that noise all evening. We just finished off and left to somewhere else but it kind of ruined the evening a little.
WIth regards to the wines, they were OK. There were a lot of sweet wines in the wine package and sweet wine is not my personal favourite (but may be someone elses). The information on the wines were also a little haphazard.
And the food was just not as good as some others. If you get a chance to try Colonialen or Potetkjelleren, the standard there is higher and the price is much the same. Oversalted (this from someone who normally can not get enough salt!) and many of the courses were just too similar (this may also be a result of the intense salty taste to everything). I wanted so much more as this restaurant has been termed as the core of the Bergen food revolution but it just did not deliver.

On a positive note the waitress was very friendly and nice. She was a little too much according to some of my friends, but I liked her a lot and thought she did a good job. Not sure there was much she could do about the kitchen pushing out the next course before we even swallowed the last one. I am honestly struggling to think of anything else that was positive in this price bracket and in line with my expectations.

Either we came on an off day or you should take your money elsewhere in the city in my view.

• Visited May 2014