“A pleasant surprise” 3 of 5 bubbles

Hotel No 13
Ranked #8 of 47 Hotels in Bergen
“A pleasant surprise”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

This is a very new hotel and it is not promisingly situated. Mcdonalds is next door and it is in the busiest, noisiest part of town.

But it has been very well constructed out of an existing building. The restaurant and bar are excellent and have a good atmosphere. And the staff are charming and polite. The rooms are modern in style and beds more comfortable than some Norwegian hotels I've stayed in.

I've reduced the stars awarded for two reasons associated with the room I was given. It was an attic room. First, the lights in the bathroom were insufficient and I cut myself shaving; a triumph of style over visibility, I think. Second, attic rooms in winter in Norway risk getting their skylights covered in snow - which is what happened to me. No light came in to the room at all after that!

But all in all, very good and I'd stay again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank EnglishViv
Camilla K, General Manager at Hotel No 13, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Hello and thank you so much for taking the time to write us this good review. I truly appreciate your feedback. We work continuously to have our guests enjoy a comfortable stay at Clarion Collection No13 and every review is valuable to my staff and me. I am especially happy that you enjoyed your stay with us at our small hotel. Sadly I can't help the weather, but in any case you'd find the room dissatisfactory, please address this to the front desk and we will happily accommodate you in a room to your liking.

We look forward to welcoming you as our guests at a later occasion.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

The hotel location was VG for anyone travelling from Bergen Airport via bus or train.
We thought we must be at the wrong building when we arrived and went directly into a
Restaurant. However a small desk in the restaurant is the reception. We checked in and were given a choice of a couple of rooms as I advised we needed a bath and shower in the room.
The room was beautifully clean with a small trendy seating area. The bathroom was really lovely and clean. The bed was very comfy and lovely clean bedding.

The wardrobe was the smallest I have ever seen and as we were staying three nights it was very challenging. Limited area to put two suitcases. The view from the window was awful I kept the curtains closed all the time as there is a very dirty inner area between hotels with other rooms looking directly into the Clarion and vice versa, garbage bins on ground level YUK.

The breakfast was included in the room rate and had freshly cooked bacon, boiled eggs and fresh fruit and peppers etc. I had pre requested gluten free bread and was provided with lovely fresh bread each morning I enjoyed breakfast each day.

We ate in the restaurant one night and it was very good the restaurant is actually a separate business.

At first I thought we had made a mistake booking this hotel as we are retired and my first impression was that it was just for young people. Not so we had a lovely stay and the staff are really nice, friendly and efficient.
The location is great. Overall I would recommend this hotel. Also the lady cleaning the rooms left friendly little notes in norwegian and english a really quirky touch that I liked.

Room Tip: Probably check the view from your room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Marg10Perth
Hello and thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. I truly appreciate your feedback and I am very happy that you were satisfied with our staff. We pride our self in making our guests as comfortable as possible. Each and every guest is equally important to us. I am especially happy that you noticed our high level of cleanliness, efficiency, and our level of service. Although the rooms facing the back cannot compete with the view at the rooms facing the own square, it offers an even more quiet and comfortable nights sleep. I hope you had a really good nights sleep. :)

We hope to see you back soon!
Bergen, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

This hotel had got it all! The best location, cosiest restaurant, nice food & wines, delicate rooms og welcoming staff! We chose to stay here because of our weddingparty in the centre and were so pleades with our choice. Even if I live in Bergen I will definitly stay more in hotels after cultural events, wining and dining in centre. This made our weekend perfect!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hei Kristin

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. I truly appreciate your feedback, it warms my heart and makes me really proud of No 13. We work continuously to have our guests enjoy a comfortable stay at Clarion Collection No13 and every review is valuable to my staff and me. I am especially happy that you enjoyed your stay with us at our small hotel and welcome you back any time!!

Come back soon!! :)
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed four nights at this property, and we were very pleased. This hotel's entrance is in a restaurant, which was a little odd, but the staff were very friendly and checked us right in. The location on the pedestrian mall was perfect for us, as we got a ride from the airport, but I can see where it would be inconvenient if you had a car and/or a lot of luggage. We loved being right in the center of the city, close to the waterfront, the train station, and the bus to the airport, as well as a great variety of restaurants and shopping. The Bryggen was only a five minute walk.

We found the room on the small side, which seems typical for Europe, but with enough space for the two of us to be comfortable. The decor was very trendy and attractive, and we had a nice view out of our sixth floor window. The bathroom was very nice, although I would have liked a shower door. The bed was comfortable, and everything was very clean. There was a safe and minibar, and the television was large with good channels to choose from.

We loved the complimentary breakfast buffet. There was typical Norwegian fare as well as eggs and bacon for us Americans. The breads and jams were tremendous!

The staff was consistently friendly and helpful, even though there is not a concierge desk.

We would stay here again, and I hope we can come back soon!

Room Tip: Rooms on the front of the hotel have a better view, those on the back are quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TravelingPaladin
Hi!

Hello and thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. I truly appreciate your feedback. We work continuously to have our guests enjoy a comfortable stay at Clarion Collection No13 and every review is valuable to my staff and me. I am especially happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, even though finding the room a bit small for your taste. If you do book with us at your next visit to Bergen, please be sure to ask for a bigger room :).

If you arrive by a car and are in need of parking, please make sure to ask us for direction to the nearest parking house. It is located underground and its exit is only a short walk from the hotel entrance.

We look forward to welcoming you as our guests at a later occasion
Terceira, Portugal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

This hotel is very new. That's the best thing about it. Reading other tripadvisor reviews and then booking this hotel, I was convinced to have made the right choice for my stay in Bergen. Unfortunately I was wrong, because there were certain things which I just did not like about this hotel, and during my stay in Bergen I found other 4* hotels which I liked much more than this one.
The location on Bergen's pedestrian area is not bad. However, my personal opinion is that it is an iron must to choose a hotel adjacent to the Bryggen area. That is the place to be in Bergen! The pedestrian area where the Clarion 13 is located is ok, but never as impressive and special as the Bryggen location. There are really no cars passing in front of the hotel, and therefore the hotel is really quietly located. But if you happen to have a rental car, you can just not park your car very near by. And you also can not drive in front of the hotel to unload your luggage... I had 60kgs of luggage and was travelling alone (rental car). One has to find a parking lot (almost mission impossible during week days), then unload all your luggage and carry it to the hotel. It is very inconvenient, and already therefore I can not recommend this place to people who are travelling with a lot of luggage.
Entering the hotel is quite astonishing and unusual, because you actually get the feeling to enter in the middle of a restaurant! There are tables around you with people enjoying nice food here, and in the very middle of the restaurant there is a tiny desk which forms the reception. The concept is original, yes. But personally I did not like it, because when I checked in it was lunch time, the restaurant was crowded and I did not appreciate the smell of fish, meat and all kind of different sauces while I was checking in. If I am booking a top 4* hotel I do expect a nice lobby to check in, and I am not into checking in in the middle of a busy, loud restaurant.
However, the lady checking me in was friendly and nice. There is a young and good spirit filling the place, and the staff in general is hype and more than ok. However, it is an ideal hotel for young people. The older crowd might not feel very attracted by multicultural and very dynamic staff.
The hotel is very small, there are just a couple of rooms per floor. My room (the last one which was available) was very small. Much too small for this category of hotel and its price. I entered the room and liked it for its vivid, pink colours. But I couldn't believe how very small it was. There was a nice and comfy bed, no cupboard (where the hell do people put their cloths?? And there is just no space to put 2 open suitcases!), but an oversized tv. The worse was the fact that there was absolutely no window in this room, which gives you a feeling of claustrophoby. The window actually is in the bathroom, and some light enters the room through the door (bathroom room).
The bathroom itself was very nice, but the weird thing is that you can not use your toilet or shower without closing all the curtains. The "view" I got from my room was just terrible. There is a very ugly courtyard with dustbin containers downstairs and lousily painted walls. All the people whose windows are facing this courtyard can just look into your bathroom - looking what you are doing there. I found that dreadful! No privacy at all, unless you close all the curtains and stay in the dark even during daytime. The courtyard itself reminded me of Alexandria, Sana'a or Dakar. Better no windows at all than having to support this kind of view, really. If a reader is interested in getting my pictures of this "view", I am pleased to send them via email...
Another thing which I did not like was the fact that there is no room service menu! Hey, it is a FOUR STAR HOTEL, and no room service? That is absolutely not a plus!
Sleeping quality was fine, the bed was very comfy.
Breakfast is on floor -1, so no view here as well. The buffet is very small, but I liked the choice and the way the food was put. Neat, sweet, special.
No traditional hotel lobby. Room much too small. No window in the room, just in the bathroom. No bathtub, just a shower. No room service. Location not bad, but not superb either. No direct access by car. There are too many things which I did not like, and I would not turn back to stay at this hotel. It was not bad, but for the high price I paid I just expected it to be better and more convenient.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Travelmaniaccc
Hei

Thank you for taking the time to write a thorough review after your stay with us. Even though there are several issues you found disappointing during the stay with us I am pleased to find that there are some positive feedback. Our hotel has a unusual design. Both the bathroom-design and our windows are un-typical for a hotel. Some guests love the design, and some guests find them unusual and not to their liking. The windows are covered non-see-through adhesive, and as is allows you to see out, it doesn't allow anyone to see in from the outside. Our breakfast has improved vastly since your stay, and we focus on improving every aspect of our small hotel.

Parking mid center in Bergen is a challenge. When arriving with a rental or private car, we can provide direction to the nearest parking house. When parked, it is only a 5 min walk to the hotel entrance, even with luggage. Our front desk has also been moved since your stay but is still in our restaurant and part of our cozy, young, dynamic and intimate atmosphere.

Bryggen is a part of the Bergen City we all are proud of. Located a 7 min walk from our hotel, and part of the UNESCO World Heritage, the area is a cultural and scenic place to visit in Bergen, crowded with people and vibrant life. We all agree it is a wonderful place to stay. If you prefer staying at Bryggen, we absolutely recommend Clarion Collection Hotel Havnekontoret.

Despite that your stay match your expectations, I hope that your stay in Bergen was pleasant. Should you decide to visit again, we'll be happy to accommodate you, or help you find a hotel to your likings.
Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

Based on reviews on TA I decided to try out this new hotel in Bergen centrum on a business travel. It was only 2 months since the opening of the hotel (I was told). I stayed only one night, but really enjoyed my stay. There are not many rooms, and the reception area is in the middle of the small restaurant in the entrance. My room (4th floor) was spacious, nicely decorated in a modern style and with a great bathroom. No noise from the street below. The breakfast was nice, not very much to choose from, but better than many larger hotels. The hotel is perfectly situated in the heart of Bergen. To be recommended!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank meolst
Hi!

Hello and thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. I truly appreciate your feedback. We work continuously to have our guests enjoy a comfortable stay at Clarion Collection No13 and every review is valuable to my staff and me. I am especially happy that you enjoyed your stay with us at our small hotel. We look forward to welcoming you as our guests at a later occasion. Then you'll find the reception at the main bar, and you'll find a highly improved breakfast. :)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Great location. We had booked it for two nights but a computer glitch on their end booked us for only one. Because of that we didn't get maid service. When I complained the hotel did give us a bottle of wine and the manager even offered to clean the room for us. I would stay here again! Question... Why does every shower in Norway leak under the shower door?

• Stayed August 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hello and thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. I truly appreciate your feedback. We work continuously to have our guests enjoy a comfortable stay at Clarion Collection No13 and every review is valuable to my staff and me. I cannot answer your question on behalf of the rest of Norway, but the issue is addressed at our hotel and I hope you'll find that the shower doesn't leak the next time you visit. ;)

I am especially happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, despite the booking issue, and your feedback warms and makes us very proud.

We hope to see you back soon!!