“Authentic food, great service, cold atmosphere”

Mandalay Sushi & Burmese
Ranked #38 of 393 Restaurants in Bergen
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Burmese
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I've been here twice and have experienced great service and good food both times. On the first occasion I had spring rolls and wok, and the second time I had sushi. Since I don't eat meat, the chef personally came out to ask if he could adjust some of the dishes so I could have them, a really nice touch. Both the spring rolls and the wok tasted more authentic than normally. The sushi was very good, but nothing extraordinary. The drawback is the restaurant itself. It's not very cosy and having the fridge in the middle of the restaurant seems quite odd, and is very disturbing if you're located next to it. Will recommend it for lunch, a quick dinner or take away, but not a date.

3  Thank 2Gary2
There are newer reviews for Mandalay Sushi & Burmese

Reviewed August 3, 2013

I went to this restaurant for lunch. I chose to have Spicy Scampi Curry.
This was very well balanced, and the spicyness was perfect for my Scandinavian tongue.
The restaurant is small, and has not so many tables.
It is very centrally located in the city of Bergen, and is therefore easily accessible.
I will highly recommend this not so well-known and hidden gem in Bergen.
They also have a very nice take-away menue.

4  Thank FrankiBergen
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant is quite small but very welcoming. We asked to see a menu, and the man I assumed to be the owner was immediately helpful in assuring me that they had many vegetarian options. Basically, the menu had a number of Thai dishes that could be done with tofu. I had a very good red curry tofu. My husband had green curry chicken, which he said was very good. The vegetarian spring rolls were great. In addition to the really nice staff, the experience was made very pleasant by the simple but nice interior. I'd recommend the restaurant to anyone. Just don't think you'll be getting an inexpensive meal. After all, this is Norway!

3  Thank VTLongTimeTraveler
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Been stuck in Bergen for a few weeks on business and was wondering around the streets for something different to try. Found this place tucked away down a tiny street and decided to give it a go.

Burmese Chicken Soup to start - the flavours of the lemon grass and thai basil literally jump out the bowl at you. Superb

Spicey Pork Curry to follow - wow....

Portions are nice and big.

Would have given it 5 stars but for the decor and lack of atmosphere.

1  Thank Alan K
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We ate here twice after an excellent first meal. They offer a range of Burmese, Thai and Japanese style food. All is very fresh and nicely spiced. We tried the spacey prawn curry, a Thai green curry and a hot pot which is a mild but freshly spiced dish. Decor is simple and seating is limited but the place does seem popular with locals.

2  Thank gpm6960