“good price, great location and decent set up”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Bergen YMCA Hostel

and 1 more site!
Bergen YMCA Hostel
Ranked #5 of 27 Specialty Lodging in Bergen
Rego Park, New York
“good price, great location and decent set up”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

This was a pretty basic hostel, but the location is super convenient and right next to the fish market. It was easy to get to by from the airport and train station is a short walk away. When you wake up you're right next to the fish market and shopping areas so there's a lot to do in a short walking distance. There were a couple bars along the pier as well as some clubs close by if you're interested in the night life.

The facilities were pretty decent. The kitchen always seemed to be pretty busy. The showers are push nozzles that run for 10 seconds and you have to continuously keep pushing throughout. It makes sense to not have any wasted water, but it does become annoying when you're trying to rinse your soapy hair while needing to keep pushing the button to keep the water running. Otherwise the bathrooms didn't really seem that dirty.

I had booked the Dormitory the first couple nights since it was the cheapest and I was traveling alone. It's basically a large room that looks like it might have been a small auditorium in the past with just rows of bunk beds; maybe filled with 20 bunk beds. It is exactly how that sounds so if you are a light/grumpy sleeper probably wouldn't be the best since travelers are constantly coming in or moving out at all times of the day, even at 3 am.

There were other days I was in the 6-person bedding (mixed sexes) and that wasn't bad either. I honestly just went in to use the bed and just stayed in my bunk if I was killing time. Some people hanged their laundry to dry between their beds, but it didn't really bother me and they didn't hang it on stranger bunk beds.

I felt pretty safe. They keep the doors locked after a certain time at night and I actually had a side trip where I left my bag there for a day and the staff let me keep it in the locked closet. I never really used the lockers that they had provided, but I also never left my real valuables alone without me. If anything I charged my camera and iphone without worry.

I didn't opt for the paid breakfast, seemed too expensive for my taste when I could just buy some eggs and cook myself. Even some people left behind pasta for free use in the kitchen and I made lunch out of that. The kitchen was probably the most frustrating experience of the hostel but that because it's a small kitchen area so if you had 5 people trying to maneuver there was definitely some bumpage. Sometimes people didn't clean their dishes either so there would just be a a sink full or a drying dishes taking up half the counter.

The wifi can only be used in the common area. And it's not a weak connection, you just have to be in the commons area, which is comfortable. I had no problem when in the common area or the eating area.

All in all, i would recommend. it's a good price, great location and decent set up considering.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Oslo, Norway
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

The location of this hostel is really good - You are just in the middle of all touristic places and with very good access to public transportation, shopping facilities, the fish market, etc. However, the YMCA has a very bad connection to the Internet - there is no connection in the bedrooms and neither in the communal areas, signal is very poor; the water system control in the shower is quite annoying - you must push a valve which gives you water for only 10 or 15 seconds; the bunk bed frames make noise anytime you move; the kitchen requires maintenance and needs to be equipped with some basic appliances and also needs to be CLEAN.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Bergen hotels

Christchurch, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

PRICE - this was the cheapest we could find.
LOCATION - excellent location - in the centre of town - within walking distance to tourist sights - 2 minutes walk from the airport bus drop off at the Fish Market - 7 to 10 minutes walk to the train station. -nearby to lots of cafés, bars, mini marts and supermarkets.
QUITE - we were lucky that the floor and dorm we were in was quite.
SECRUITY - very poor security - for the time we were at the hostel, the same man unlocked and entered our 4 bed dorm during the day and night (5am in the morning!!) The staff had no idea who he was or how he got hold of a door card key!! Also local men were often seen drinking and using the toilets within the hostel. It has a no-alcohol policy.
STAFF - were not helpful or friendly, in fact they were rather rude.
CLEANLINESS - our dorm with bathroom was spotless.
DORM ROOM - our 4 bed dorm was comfortable with en suite bathroom, kitchenette and fridge
Free wifi and paid-for computers available in the common room. Linen included in the price. Has a lift to all the floors.
We would stay again for the location and price and hope that the security was a lot better!
Norway is VERY expensive!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank FionaButterick
Stavanger, Rogaland, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

We stayed here for two nights and it was quite okay.
We booked a private room and the room itself was nice, very fresh bathroom etc. My biggest concern was that the room wasn't cleaned very good and that the pillow and duvet was smelly (from someone smoking indoors at some point I guess) The legs of the bed was almost falling off and it was a little noisy from the corridor.
The location is good and the staff was pleasant.
Be sure to visit the little café next door, it was cosy and had awesome food.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

ThIs place is clean and bright. We did a fast check-in the first night and wanted to change rooms for a cheaper the next night. The reason people come to different places is to see what the area has to offer for viewing. Most of these tours leave early in the morning and the tour ends a little late. The hours at this hostel are short in the off season. We were told we could put our back packs in the luggage room and we were given a key to open the door .....great. When we came back the luggage room is locked and the key is also locked in the office. Hummm....we managed and other than that we relaxed and enjoyed the people here and everything else. I would stay again...just NOT change rooms.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
San Francisco Area
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed here after the Nutshell Tour with 3 friends for one night in June. Pros: cheap stay, safe hostel, clean private bathroom, free wifi, centrally located (10 minute walk from train station), small mini mart next door.
Cons: Rough sheets, towels to be rented, heater broken, however, staff came in at 12 am to fix, and brought us a new one.
For the price of staying in Bergen, it's hard to complain, though.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Fukuoka, Japan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

Average hostel in a convenient location. The cheapest you can find in Bergen and the price includes bed linen (extra charge at most places). The 12 bed dorms were actually more comfortable than I thought.

Nice to have a kitchen but would be better to have some staples like oil, salt, pepper.

Common rooms aren't that cosy and single travelers may find it hard to meet other travelers.

Door to the women's toilet on second floor has a lock but it does not properly lock.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo