“Overpriced”
Review of Marken Gjestehus

Marken Gjestehus
Ranked #1 of 31 Specialty Lodging in Bergen
Reviewed April 15, 2009

I have stayed at Marken Gjestehus three times and I realize it is vastly overpriced. It cost me NOK 630 (USD 100) for one night - and that is the lowest you can get as a single traveller in one room.

What you get? A bunk bed where you have to put on your linen yourself (and take them off in the morning). No people in the reception except in the middle of the day (what do you do if you lock yourself out of the room?). Shared bathroom with the rest of the floor - which is generally ok, but not for this kind of price.

No breakfast in the morning. I pay NOK 100 to eat at a hotel nearby (5 min walk).

On the positive side: The place is clean and you have free Internet access if you bring your laptop and remember to ask for access code while there are people in the reception. Central location.

I will stay at another hotel next time in Bergen. I would gladly pay a little more and get a real hotel bed, bathroom and breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank tskjerdal
There are newer reviews for Marken Gjestehus

Reviewed November 15, 2008

Paid equivalent of $85 for each of two nights for twin room in what is a cross bretween a hotel and a hostel. Twenty or so rooms ranging from singles to 8-bed dorms segrgated by gender. Shared bath (good hot water and pressure) and kitchen, the former clean, the latter in good order. Small room, average mattress and pillow (have to rent linen). Spartan, but staff very helpful. Was there in off-season, so relatively quiet despite being full (mostly single travelers and couples), may be a zoo in high season. Good location, 10 minutes to Bryggen, less to bus station.
Keeping in mind the fact that Norway is jaw-droppingly expensive, this is a very good deal unless you are willing to spend more than double this amount for a room. Also, if you are in Norway for any length of time and on anything resembling a budget, you will aprpeciate the kitchen; ala carte dishes in even the cheapest restaurants run $25-40 depending on exchange rate. A value meal at McDonalds, for example is $12-14.
I tend to prefer something a bit more upscale, but at prevailing prices, this was more than OK.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank travelindave45
Reviewed November 16, 2007

The pros:
- Great centric location
- Kind staff
- Beautiful and clean
- Very comfortable sofa in the lobby (Hey! I was able to sleep in it!)

The cons:
- Few staff
- Poor administration
- Beds are not numbered

On September 2007, me and my wife stayed in Marken Gjestehus fortunately just for one night. After we paid for the beds and the sheets we went to set our beds to just go to sleep at night when we planed to return to the hostel. My wife had a problem with the bed as she found that all beds were occupied with disordered sheets, we called a girl from the staff who assigned the bed for her.

When we came back at night my wife went to her room and I went to mine.

Big surprise: A GUY IN MY BED! When you are sleeping with strangers you must to be kind, you don't know with whom you are going to share the room. What if I wake up the guy, how he will react? And if he make noise and wake up the other people in the room? Are the other guys their partners and I'm going to be in trouble now or later (or maybe not)? Are all or this guy a good person or maybe not? You don't know! And here is where you know that rules in dormitories are required. A rule like: "Use only in your assigned bed". But what if you don't have an assigned bed?

When you run a hostel with dormitories definitely you must respect some basics. One of the basics is to have clearly numbered beds or at least somebody to tell you "this will be your bed". Is a must on dormitory because the guests who use it have to respect their most important rule and that is to be respectful and polite with strangers which you will share the room.

At the time I had this problem there was nobody of the staff who can help me with the issue so I required to sleep in the lobby sofa. The next morning we left very early, before any staff came to work, as we required to take the first train to Myrdal. So I wasn't able to talk with nobody of Marken Gjestehus to explain my issue and ask for a refund.

They didn't apply a refund to my credit card; they choose to make it by bank transfer from Norway to Costa Rica. Today I'm still waiting for a refund with issues for non-understandable standards between banks (banks in Costa Rica doesn’t use IBAN codes because is code that only applies to Europe) and knowing that I will only receive this refund partially because the charges that the bank account.

Unfortunately the options to stay for backpackers for the date we arrived to Bergen are too few, so choose wisely.

Tip: If you don't choose the shared dormitory and instead you choose a room only for you and the people you are traveling with probably you won't have any problem in this hostel.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank Ventox
Reviewed September 3, 2007

Stayed at the Marken Gjestehus for two nights and were quite pleased with it. Good location between the train and bus stations and the harbor. Close to a little pedestrian cafe street (which was surprisingly dead the whole time we were there). Never a wait for a toilet or shower. Very clean facilities. Good kitchen and dining room. Some of the furniture and the common areas looked a bit more worn than in the web site photos, but it all worked just fine. We brought our own linens to avoid the rental fee. Didn't use the other services such as laundry, but saw that it was available.

If you convert the price into US dollars, you'll still be in for a shock, but its pretty much the cheapest you'll find in Norway. (The $60 take-away pizza for 2 was even more of a shock!)

Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank DingleUK
Reviewed August 21, 2007

Love this place stayed there a few ago and it's still great,Clean rooms with sturdy bunks, reading lights & wardrobes with keys and coathangers.Heaps of clean bathrooms and toilets with soap and paper towels.Nice fully equipped kitchen with good eating area and another nice sitting room.Great staff ,great location this palce has it all!!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed August 7, 2007

We enjoyed our 2 night stay at this hostel. The kitchen was well equipped and the location was great. It was clean too!
Room: The room was a little small, but cozy. Our twin room had bunkbeds. It was clean and comfortable.
Price: Norway in genral is expensive, but the price for the room was reasonable and a good value for the money.
Cleanliness: Great. Had no complaints
Bathroom: The shared bath was remarkably clean. There was hot water the the water pressure was good.
Location: perfect location. quiet little street only about 7 mins walking to the port. The airport bus stop is at the port as well so it was very convenient.
Staff/owner: The front desk was friendly and knowledgable. They were closed from 11PM to 8AM. A tourist info location is right next door too. check in is late so we were allowed to store our luggage for free. They can lend hairdryers and irons and things like that as well.
A/C: none but you don't need it in Bergen
TV: in dining area outside the kitchen. No English channels.
Breakfast: N/A
Kitchen: full kitchen. It was never really clean, but I guess that also has to do with people cleaning up after themselves. I had to clean up for 10 mins before I could even start cooking our dinner. All in all, it was a blessing since the port has the biggest fish market in Norway! There is a cheap supermarket arond the corner too.
Internet: N/A
Security: Use your key/card to get in the front door and into your room.
Laundry: 5kr per load. good value
Linen/Towel: overpriced. 35kr for linen ($7USD) and 15kr for a towel ($3USD)
Remarks: This place was ok. I'd stay there again if I went back to Bergen. It was a cute city and a great spot to go and see the fjords.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kamaa222
Reviewed June 24, 2007

Clean accommodation which is in a very convenient and quiet location close to both the train station and the fish market. Good value for money bearing in mind that it is in Norway. If possible, given that there is not much difference in price, I would recommend trying to get a private room. We managed to stay in a private room without private facitilies and discovered that there was a good ratio of showers/loos to guests.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple