“Clean, good location, reasonable price”
Review of Marken Gjestehus

Marken Gjestehus
Ranked #1 of 31 Specialty Lodging in Bergen
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We just stayed here for two nights over a weekend. We had a double private room with shared bathroom which was all we needed. The rooms were nicely decorated and the communal areas were nice although everyone very much kept to themselves and in my opinion it wasn't a very social place to hang out.
We didn't use the kitchen at all but the facilities looked good.
We loved how when we arrived late at night we could just slide out credit card to get in.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Marken Gjestehus

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed there for two night - staff at reception were really really helpful - particularly the Argentinian guy.

Kitchen got a bit messy, but the staff went through and cleaned it regularly, so no complaints here.

Dining room looks out onto one of the hills surrounding Bergen - great view!

Bed was really comfortable, and room was clean (twin room)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I think it's a good decision to stay here even though I had many problems in my stay. Firstly, I could not entrance the main door, the hostel door or my room door with my credit card (I came lately so they told me to use my card as a key card). I could not use my locker key too. The other girl in my room had the same key. This problem happened to another person too. I think the first problem was my fault. Maybe my credit card didn't work with their machine (I found lot of problems with Thai credit card). Luckily, some people opened the door so I could came in. When I check out, a staff asked me about using my own credit card as a key card. He said sorry for my inconvenience. It made me feel good.

The room was clean. The WC in my dorm was large. Love it. Location is the best. It's not far from train station and bus station. The kitchen room was great. I love atmosphere at this hostel. I'll be back again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Great location, within walking distance to train station, supermarket, restaurants, bars and the fish market.

Staff was very approachable and friendly. Clean and good toilets and shower rooms. Huge locker space and need not use your own lock too.

The entrance was a little hard to find though, it is the elevator on the left the moment you enter the building (do not go up the stairs!). I walked up and down the stairs 2 times before I saw the elevator, and several times, I saw new travelers in the lobby, looking lost with their luggage.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

Excellent value for Norway and the rooms are clean - common area not as big - but good enough with a smallish kitchen
But the location is right in the middle of town - next to the train station and the main areas
Staff friendly and did I mention the price

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Only stayed for one night so I didn't spend much time there, but the location was perfect! I was in a 4 person dorm with a locker for each person. It was clean, cozy, and they have free wifi. Sheets and towels cost extra, and breakfast is not included either, but there's a kitchen where you can cook your own food and lots of places to eat nearby.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Very clean and peaceful if you are looking to relax , The staff were friendly but not intrusive I enjoyed my stay there , the wifi connection and speed was great which was what I needed at that time . The hostel is also in a great location in-between the fish market end and the main city which makes exploring easy I would highly recommend this as a hostel experience if you are looking for a bit of quiet at the same time . The elevators are pretty cool too with an antique/steampunk look about them !

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo