“Good hostel but...”

Ranked #1 of 28 Specialty Lodging in Bergen
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Good hostel but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

Let me start with the positive aspects first:

* Excellent location... walkable from the train station and the main square. You dont need public transportation if you are staying here
* Economical in terms of Norway standards... as you know it is all expensive in Norway
* Basic & Clean rooms.. with plenty of shared bathrooms/restrooms
* if you are ready to pay 110NOK, you can have a sumptous buffet breakfast at the nearby Grand Terminus hotel... as they seem to have a tie-up with them

Now the negative things:
* the room I stayed was a 4-bed male dorm... but it with a sloping ceiling and it wasnt spacious. felt a bit cramped
* the bed was making lot of cracking noise... so I couldnt sleep well whenever I turned around or if anyone else in the room did
* if you have to pay extra for the linens (as it is the case in most of the hostels in Norway anyway)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

This was a very nice place to stay. We were able to get to the places we wanted to go without too much walking time. The rooms were nice, though I was not given the correct key to my locker, and even after explaining this to the reception, they gave me a key to someone else's which could have turned out bad for them if I was dishonest. The bathrooms and showers are very nice. Overall, very great.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brttngr
Northborough, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

I am actually writing this review from the public internet computer in the Marken Gjestehus common room! I couldn't wait to get home for fear that I would forget the fantastic (fantastisk) experience I have had here.

I am only staying one night; I booked in advance at hostelworld.com with a 10% downpayment. The booking was easy, quick, and I felt very confident that upon my arrival, my reservation would be there.

The hostel is very easy to find - I took the airport shuttle from Bergen and was dropped at Storsenter, where you can pick up a free map. Walk about 100 steps to the NSB train station, and then cross the street and the hostel is about 1/4 mile away up a cobblestone road.

Check-in was completely painless: a wonderful woman at reception who spoke English gave me linens (for a small rental fee), and a quick tour through the hostel. She offered additional assistance if needed, and was very welcoming.

The facility is beautiful - clean hardwood floors, plenty of toilets and showers, a common room with a tv and a dining room with a tv, a fully equipped kitchen, and updated rooms.

My room was a 4-bed female dorm, but I was the only one booked in it for the night (yay). Access is with a key card that gets you in the front door of the building, through reception after hours, and into your room. Attached to the key card is a key for your locker, which is in your room and included. The lockers are actually huge wardrobes big enough for clothes, a suitcase, and more. The beds are pretty basic bunks; a desk is included in the room, and the view looked over Kong Oscars Gate and up the mountain. Beautiful!

Shower was hot hot hot (in a good way) through the whole thing, great water pressure, clean facilities.

I left a pizza in the fridge at lunch with my name on it, and it was still there at dinner, so that's a plus!

I have stayed at many hostels across Europe, and this has been the best overall experience, even with a bit of a language barrier! HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank ehandly
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

I stayed at Marken Gjestehus for three night, and I loved it! They had just renovated and redecorated my room, and it was gorgeous. The staff told me they are in the process of remaking many more rooms as well.
The location can't be beat: on a really cute and picturesque cobblestone street, right in the middle of town. Only a few minutes walk to the famous Fish Market and the train and bus station.
The staff was awesome. They really made me feel welcome, always smiling and always ready to help and give advise.
The cleaning staff did an excellent job keeping the rooms and common rooms in perfect condition. Everything was very clean and well kept.
I see some of the reviews here mention their opening hours: yes, they do have shorter opening hours in the winter time, but I don't see this as a problem at all. I checked in by using my credit card as a key card, since I arrived late at night. The staff gave me all the information I needed in advance, so when I arrived I knew exactly what to do and where to go.
There is also free wifi there, and it worked really well. In most hostels you have to pay for wifi, and then the speed is usually horrible. But not here. Login was easy, and the speed of the internet was really good.
All in all I couldn't ask for more. Marken Gjestehus is the perfect hostel, and I would recommend it to anyone going to Bergen. I really hope I can go back to Norway, and if I do I know where to stay :-)

Room Tip: Ask to get one of the newly renovated rooms. They look really good!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Geelong, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

We booked this place hoping for a bed and a hot shower. When you book a hostel, you usually don't hope for much more. The shower in the morning was stone cold. Even lukewarm would have sufficed. To make matters even more frustrating, there's never anyone to man the reception area, so there was no one to help.

The room was ok - very small but comfortable. (we booked a double)
The value is pretty pathetic for what you get.
It's very noisy with music playing until very late.
Confusing check in and no one to greet you when you arrive.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Jayski_1
Tokyo, Japan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

We were disappointed by our stay. We felt the receptionist was extremely rude, which started our stay with a bad impression.

The kitchen was very small and had limited facilities for the size of the hostel. This was frustrating and disappointing, especially as we had chosen to stay in separate rooms dorm rooms in the hostel because it had a kitchen, rather than staying in a similarly priced hotel. The dorm rooms were bright and quite new, but according to a notice in the room are only cleaned once a week, so the cleanliness depends on other guests. Because the hostel has a single gender policy for the dorm rooms my girlfriend and I had to stay in separate rooms. I think because of this policy they often have overbooking in some rooms, while the other gender room has spare beds. I had to share a four bed room with five guys, and even though only two had checked in before we arrived, I was told there was not a locker available for me. There were also problems with the reception hours, and a large group of people were stranded in the reception one night as the reception closed earlier than the time those people had been told. The reception hours in different places (website, reception, corridor, and rooms) were all different. We also had a problem with booking using the hostel’s online booking system. The reservation was cancelled automatically as we didn’t enter our credit card details into the system. However, at no point during the booking process were they asked for. We then made the booking with the hostel via email, but the receptionist (quite rudely) told us the booking was invalid when we checked in. We felt that this receptionist was particularly rude to Asian guests (as a mixed-race couple we were a bit of a curve-ball for him – he was just rude to both of us!)

On the bright side, there is a computer for free internet use and free wifi. Bathrooms are clean, and there are plenty of showers. Unfortunately the number of washing basins are limited (unless you want to brush your teeth in the toilet room!).

Conclusion: We suggest if you are a couple planning to stay in a dorm room, that you spend an extra 100 kroner or so and get a double room in a hotel with linen, breakfast and private bathroom included. If you are Asian and don’t want a hassle with the hostel, find somewhere else (or get your non-Asian girlfriend to check in instead!).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank にんじんandグリーンピース
Mona S, General Manager at Marken Gjestehus, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear Guest.
We contacted you directly after this review and got som more details from you.
First of all , all feedback form our guests is important to us, and we are really disappointed that you experienced our receptionist to be rude.
We have got a statment form the receptionist working this day. He was trying to explain how the online booking system worked and gave the proper information. Your request was cancelled as you did not enter gender in the booking form, it also says in the online booking that this is a prebooking and that it must be confirmed by the reception. You did not have a confirmed reservation with cc , as all our confirmed booking has. When you came he tried his best to give you accomodation and thats why he gave you an extra bed in a 4 bed room for male, and your girlfriend a bed in a room for females. We do not have mixed dormitories, this is also explained in the online booking form. The guesthouse was really busy this night so he needed to sort out how he could help you and also some other guests. We still value your comment about the online booking, and we will try to make this more understandable, so these situation does not occur.
Anyhow we will applogize if you felt him to be rude. We welcome guests from all over the world, and we do not treat our guests differently based upon gender or nationality, so we deeply feel that your comment about this is very wrong. We welcome everybody and guests from Asia is as welcome and valued as all our guests. Should you ever come to Bergen again, please let us welcome you nicely as we aim to to with all our guest, and we will give you a free night in a 2 bed room, just send us an e-mail. Best regards M Sandvik - General manager
Minsk, Belarus
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

Clean room and bathroom, comfortable kitchen, friendly and helpful staff, warm atmosphere, great location. The are private lockers for everyone in the room.
P.S. It might be better if bed linen was for free :)

Room Tip: 4-bedded room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo