See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stayed at the P-Hotel Bergen for one night in June 2013. Norway is incredible expensive so it was hard to find an accommodation which is not too expensive. At P-Hotel I paid more then I usually pay for a hotel, but for Norwegian standard the rate was good. I asked for a quite room and got one facing the backyard on the third floor. Due to other reviews I was prepaired to get some noise, but it was very quite and I did not hear anything (even it was Saturday evening). Room was spacious and I liked the underfloorheating in the bathroom. The breakfast was just a box with apple, sandwich and juice, but that was o.K. to me, as I usually don’t eat breakfast at home. The location is good – very central with easy walking to Bryggen. I was satisfied and would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I stayed Mon. - Thursday, July 1-4. I did not experience any of the noise problems from the pub or anywhere else, as other reviewers have noted, probably because I was there during week days and my room was on the backside of the building and at the end of a hall.

I can see how noise could be a problem on a weekend. However, on the hotel's homepage, it does state that noise can be a problem from the "football pub" attached to the hotel.

I enjoyed having a few beers in that pub while I was in Bergen, although it certainly wouldn't be a "destination" pub for me if it weren't attached to my hotel -- just a place to relax a bit after I'd been out all day.

I booked this hotel because I was running late in getting reservations in Bergen during the busy high season and this hotel had vacancy and was in the lower-priced range of hotels.

The location is excellent and a twelve-minute walk from the train station, door to door -- I timed it -- and an easy walk to near-by attractions. However, I must say, because of Bergen's size, there are many hotels that also have similary convenient locations.

I had no problem with the service, but then, I didn't require much in the way of service.

In addition to the bagged breakfast (or lunch depending on what time you get up) hanging on your door every morning, there is a 24-hour free coffee/tea service in the hotel lobby. The coffee is ok. I had some every morning, and some mornings it was better than others.

The bedding was soft and a little lumpy for me, and I don't like soft mattresses.

The room appeared fairly neat upon first inspection but I can't rate it as very clean because my white socks were quite soiled after walking on the hardwood floor for several minutes, and I found that the desk in the room (used for my laptop) was somewhat dusty.

My bathroom was tiny to the point of being somewhat comical. You have to fold the shower compartment doors inward in order to be able to have knee room to sit on the toilet. Otherwise you'd have to sit sideways on the toilet. (At first I couldn't figure this out and the whole arrangement seemed utterly absurd.) When you do close the shower compartment doors in order to take a shower, water sprays out from under them and covers the bathroom floor. You need to towel up all of that water in order to stand in the bathroom and finish up. This isn't as big of an inconvenience as it sounds, but it probably explains why the staff knocks on your door every morning to see if you need more towels.

This is a budget hotel so be prepared for that. It cost me $134 USD for a double bed, which would be ridiculously high in the U.S. for what you get at P-Hotels in Bergen, but Bergen is an expensive place. So, I rated the value as "average," although I almost gave it a two-star rating.

If I were to return to Bergen I would probably book another hotel assuming I had the time and the room rate was roughly in the same neighborhood.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room on the back side of the hotel in the main building where noise shouldn't be a problem (or at least much less of a problem.)
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Albert C
Reviewed July 8, 2013

As mentioned in a number of reviews of this hotel, our experience was very negative. "Family room" we were given was in a separate building from the main hotel located directly over the back outside deck of a bar...even on a Monday night, it was noisy, and got louder as it got later in the evening. Could hear every conversation of the people on that deck. The windows of the room were located in a place that was accessible (near a platform for the fire escape), and so we had further reason to keep the windows closed and locked. The "breakfast" was left in a bag on the door of the room, and was not much more than a packaged sandwich, a piece of fruit and some juice. For what we paid for the room, and compared with all the other places we stayed while we were in Norway, Denmark, and Sweden, this was the least generous breakfast we were offered. We had to check out early, and were not leaving on a ferry until later in the day. When we asked to have the hotel store our luggage, we were told, somewhat brusquely, that they did not do this, and that if we wanted to, we could pile the luggage in the lobby, but they would not be responsible for it if it was stolen. When we further inquired if they would at least put the luggage behind the front desk, where some other luggage had been placed earlier, we were told, again by the desk clear who appeared to be irritated at having to deal with us, that there was no room (despite what seemed to be sufficient room with the other luggage there). We were forced to drag all our luggage to the train station to store it in the lockers until our ferry was ready to depart (there were lockers at ferry terminal as well, but no one from the hotel mentioned this). This was a very bad experience, and anyone who is considering staying at this hotel should pay close attention to all the negative reviews of this place. We did not, and suffered the consequences.

Room Tip: If you decide to overlook the bad reviews, make sure you get a room that is not one in the building across the street from the main hotel over the bar (although cannot comment on whether the rooms in the main hotel are any better)
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Brad B
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I had booked two nights, and arrived on a Friday. I slept in the red hotel building during the first night, and that is a building that you don't want to stay in. There's a night club in the basement of that hotel building, and it's playing really loud music until 3 AM. The standard of the rooms in that building is also poor. I asked on the Saturday in they had any rooms that weren't on top of the night club so that we could catch some sleep before 3 AM. I then found out that they also have a yellow hotel building across the street, I got a room at the top floor of that building, and that room weren't facing the street. It was almost completely silent there, and those rooms had better standard.

That can explain why this hotel get so mixed reviews. I would rate the red building as 1, and the yellow as 2½.

I had no problems with the staff, they were very helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the yellow building if you want to be able to sleep before 3 AM.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrTheTraveller
Reviewed June 27, 2013

In my opinion this hotel is the worst I ever been ........the doubled bed were really twins... super narrow ....horrible matrix the worst matrix I have seen . it really was a pain to sleep there ,I spent 3 horrible nights , not only because I already wrote but for the electronic music bar that is in the first floor , our bed "moved" with the vibration of the music .and the breakfast is a sandwich with an apple every day ... the put it out side of the room door
People at the fronl desk were robots that work there just to spend the time and make some money.
Please avoid this hotel you can pay more in other place but believe me maybe you go one in your lofe to Bergen , don't let this hotel spoil your visit to a beautiful city.
now if want to party till 3 am and the sleep , this is your hotel

Room Tip: I don't have any , only that avoid this Hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple