“Stepping Back in time”

Grand Hotel Terminus
Ranked #21 of 51 Hotels in Bergen
Reviewed March 12, 2013

One of the best "historic" hotels I have had the pleasure to stay at. The room was huge (I think we may have been upgraded!), recently decorated and with beautiful period furniture maintained to excellent standard. The chandelier in the centre of the room set off the scene beatifully. The beds were comfortable, bathroom large and well appointed, and despite proximity to the station, there was very little noise. Staff were excellent, arranging a take out breakfast (as we had an early flight) and appeared genuinely interested in us as individuals. Tea and coffee constantly avaialble in the lounge, and a very pleasant ambience throughout. We thoroughly enjoyed our brief stay - Highly recommended

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I came with the bus from the airport and it took me some time to locate the place, even with my smartphone map. It was a very cold day and I was not dressed to walk around. The staff was friendly. No food service on Sundays, but free tee and coffe 24 hours :-). The room was small and not prepared for getying some work done. No movie service on cabel tv. The major issue for me was the cold draft from the window. And this was a cold and windy night too. Check out was fast and the online taxi ordering system was also
great :-)

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel is beautifully located right beside the train station in Bergen. Classical, elegant architecture characterises both the hotels interior and exterior. The hotel has won awards for its excellent design, and in 1995 it became the first city hotel in the country to be proposed as a listed building. Its location near three multi-storey car parks with a total of 2,500 spaces, the railway station, airport bus, the bus station, the Bergen Light Rail and the Grieg Hall means that the hotel is very accessible, and it is a mere five minutes’ walk to Torgalmenningen Square. New owners has since 2006 been carefully renovating the hotel. We welcome you to a good hotel exprience in one of Norway's most beautiful cities.

Gold Bar - rating in Whisky Magazine world overview

The bar is the only one i Norway and the Nordic countries with gold- rating. We consider this to be the highest ranking a whisky bar could achieve. The news was released with the list of 2010, 2011 and 2012.

Check ranking in "Top 20 Whisky Bars of the World"! Review: "The best whiskybar in Scandinavia - BY FAR!! With over 500 whiskies from all over the world, fantastic location and a superb staff - this is the place to go for whisky. Gold status in the Great Whiskybars of the World 2010, their own whiskyfestival WHISKY-MEET, tastings and promotions every month. Must be one of the best bars in the world."

PS: And my inside tip: just stroll up "marken" and down "skostredet" a very cosy path with spesial resturants and small design and good resturants.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I was here the first week in December for a scientific conference. The location (across the street from the train station) was perfect, as was the interesting 10-minute walk to the waterfront area.The staff were exceptionally nice. My room was very comfortable and had windows that opened, so I could get fresh air and hear some of the city noises. The bathroom was a good size and nicely appointed. Breakfast was an amazing variety of smoked fish, fresh fruit, elegant pasties and excellent coffee in addition to hot dishes such as scrambled eggs. The meting rooms were elegant and charming. But my favorite spot was the whiskey bar in the corner of the wonderful lounge. Very special hotel in beautiful Bergen. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ZOEHART
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed here from jan 7th to jan 11th, made so welcome, had a lovely room, which was a suite, massive, overlooking the front of the building.

Hotel in a great location, right next to railway station, and buses for the airport, can even book the norway in a nutshell tour from the station, day you go.

Breakfast huge, and really nice, good way to fill up, because bergen is extortionate, for food and drinks, i.e. 22 pounds for 2 beers, 16 pounds for a plate of fried rice, 10 pounds for a bowl of soup. The hotel always has free tea, coffee, fruit, pastries, unbelievable. (book here.)

Room Tip: if you can afford to, book a suite, well worth it.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jules82
Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

After having stayed at two hotels in Poland, one in Denmark all with lots of things that could be better. It was a pleasure to stay at this hotel. So nice. Nothing I can complain about and that is not often. Superfast free Internet, nice comfortable beds, magnificent breakfast. And not to forget smiling and very nice staff. And helpful, my first room I got was
a bit cold, without any debate I got a
warmer room. I came by car and there is a parking building just next to the hotel. Also close to shops and the railway station which is across the street.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank perbjo
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Reading other reviews it seems we struck gold with our room as it was massive!
We chose this hotel for its proximity to the station, we arrived by train from Oslo, and its 4 star status. We were happy with our choice.
As I say, we were given a massive room with a table and chairs, two armchairs, a big bathroom, and lots of space. It was facing the main road but we weren't disturbed by any traffic noise (we live in London so do not require silence to sleep).
The staff were friendly, the pastries in the lobby when we came in from a day exploring Bergen were welcome and the bar was cosy and well stocked.
The breakfast was fine, but not as good as the Oslo hotel we had been staying at previously so I am probably being harsh with fine.
Overall, I would stay at Grand Terminus again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple