“great place to relax and enjoy the city with leisure” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of First Hotel Marin

First Hotel Marin
Ranked #17 of 47 Hotels in Bergen
Brooklyn, New York
“great place to relax and enjoy the city with leisure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

i really thought the room was very comfortable, Huge actually. A nice tub to soak in and the breakfast in the morning was more than enough to keep me going all day long. right in the midle of it all steps to the historic places and shopping. and the mountain behind the hotel has some amazing hikes and its all within 5 min walk.

2 Thank Paul W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

The rooms were quite modern. Unfortunately my didn't have a minibar inside. Everything was clean but small. The breakfast in the restaurant was good. A lot of stuff but no omlette station. The bar tender was quite often abcent but I guess he hasn't many customers with the norwegian alcohol prices. The location of this hotel was excellent as it is driectly in the city center and very close to the water and restaurants.

2 Thank Daniel F
MonicaSelvik, General Manager at First Hotel Marin, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear DanielF,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at First Hotel Marin, Bergen. We sincerely appreciate all the thoughts and comments from our guests. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay most recently, and that you found our central location excellent. Indeed very pleasant that you found your room satisfactory, even though our standard rooms do not have a minibar. We have many different room types, from ordinary single and double rooms to larger superior, deluxe rooms and suites. I general the size of the rooms are quite large for a Norwegian hotel standard. All room types except standard single and double offer a minibar and several amenities.

I am afraid that we do not offer an omelet station during breakfast hours- but we strive very much to keep a high standard of our breakfast and service, as we offer fried bacon and scrambled eggs instead.

I am sorry that you experienced our bartender being absent and we will work on being more visible at all times.

We hope to welcome you back the next time you plan to visit our beautiful city and in the meantime, please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any additional feedback or would like to discuss your comments in more detail.

+4753051530
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for a midweek. The room was large but interior is getting somewhat dated, altough it was clean and spacious. The sauna in the hotel was not appealling and not tried, it is soemwhat tucked away in the basement. Service was good, price is mediocer for Bergen. Breakfast wasn't special, a bit dissapointing. Beds somewhat uncomfortable, took me 3 nights to get used to it. giving it a 3/5.

Dear RELC71,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences regarding your recent stay at First Hotel Marin,Bergen.

I am sorry you experienced that your room was a bit dated – however I am happy to inform you that we are in the process of refurbishing. We have already refurbished 1 /3 of the hotel rooms and most public areas during 2013 and will continue the process during this year. New beds are of course also being considered in some rooms.

With regard to your other feedback, I am pleased to share that we are continuously working on improving the breakfast quality. I would be happy to hear more from you with regards to why this was a disappointment for you.

Our Sauna and very small fitness room is an extra service we offer our guests at no extra expense. Yes it is small, and it is located in the basement. But should of course still look appealing and I will check this area regularly in order to make sure we maintain an appealing and clean look.

In the meantime, please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any additional feedback or would like to discuss your comments in more detail.

+4753051530
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

Pokey little room which was made up as a single room not as our double. Three visits to reception finally rewarded us with an extra pillow and bath towel. Staff seemed poorly prepared to answer basic questions and whilst not unfriendly didn't engage with us and generally ignored us. We had to make up our own bed, not difficult but not expected at these prices. A fruit plate from the manager on the second and last night was too little too late. The worst hotel experience of our Scandinavian trip.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David W
Dear David W,

First of all – I would like to thank you for giving us a truly honest and constructive feedback. I can certainly understand your disappointment discovering that your room was made up as a single room and not a double room, and I do sincerely apologize for making such a mistake.

I also apologize on behalf of our staff not being able to answer basic questions and that you had to revert three times in order to have an extra pillow and bath towel. I can assure you that we have had focus on this spesific matter and that we have some training prepared in order to improve education of our new personnel.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have additional feedback, I will be more than happy to hear from you.

+4753051530.

Travelers are raving about these Bergen hotels

Littleport, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

Had 2 nights in this hotel whilst on a business trip. Greeting on arrival was very good and immediate impressions were of a nice hotel which had more character than most big chain hotels. Room was very pleasant . Cleanliness was excellent as was comfort and the room was very quiet. The only slight disappointment was that when I went to the restaurant for dinner I was told that there would be a 45 minutes wait as they had a group in. I was a little surprised as the group was only about 12 people. However in the end I only had to wait for about 30 minutes and the quality of food made it worth the wait. I will certainly rerun here when I am in Bergen on business again.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear David W,

Thank you for taking a moment to share some feedback from your recent stay at First Hotel Marin, Bergen!

I’m delighted to hear that you found the greeting on arrival pleasant and that you were impressed by the character of our hotel, which so many of our guests find easy to appreciate.

With regards to the "long wait" in the restaurant – I am not sure why you would have to wait for 30 minutes when we only had a group of 12 people – but I will certainly investigate this matter. I look forward to passing along your compliments to our chef - I am personally extremely proud of the quality and the excellent tastes of our a la carte menu.

We hope to welcome you again soon to our beautiful city - the Gateway to the Fjords and our “little” house on the wharf.

Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

This is an excellent hotel. We were in a family suite which had a spacious living area. The breakfast was excellent. Staff were friendly and helpful. It is well situated in regards to the UNESCO buildings and the city.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
bron1960 -- Thank you for the wonderful review!

I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed our spacious family suites with separate bedroom and spacious living area!.

Thank you very much for your very positive comment about our breakfast and I certainly look forward to passing on your friendly comments about our staff to them all. We feel very lucky to have such great staff and our guests have very much nice to say about them.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any queries.
Alesund, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

Im In bergen almost every 14 day, always staing at this hotel. Good rooms, good service and close to sentrum. A good breakfast and Ok food in the resturant. The airport bus stops like 5 min away and a easy

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business