“Good value in the heart of the city”

Thon Hotel Bristol Bergen
Ranked #13 of 46 Hotels in Bergen
London, United Kingdom
“Good value in the heart of the city”
Reviewed August 26, 2014

Full marks for location - a short walk from most of the main attractions in the city such as the Fish Market, Bryggen and the Mount Floyen funicular. The place is definitely good value in a country as expensive as Norway. Our twin room on the sixth floor (which included, among other things, a 42'' TV and a mini bar) was quite spacious and the bathroom well-equipped. There are hints of wear and tear (e.g. a dodgy window frame in the room) though in certain places which prevents me from giving it a fifth star. The breakfast buffet (which includes hot food) is great and plentiful. A solid 4 stars in all!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank NGanguly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed August 21, 2014 via mobile

Room on fifth floor overlooking road double glazed so no noise issues. Within easy walking distance from everything. Nearby harbour fish markets good but expensive by our standards $35A for one small plate with fish kebab and a few potatoes. We were lucky an orchestra was performing Peer Gynt in the square nearby. Weather cool but not cold.
Hotel room was clean huge tv. Good place to stay.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Travelned
Solveig H, Leder  at Thon Hotel Bristol Bergen, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Hello,

Thank you for your positive feedback. We appreciate it. Hope to see you again soon.
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2014

The hotel is in a great position - most places in the city are within 10-15 minutes walk, and transport is easily accessible, and if you book in advance is somewhat cheaper than other hotels in the area. I have stayed here previously and thought it was great, but this trip, I have to say it has gone downhill and I won't stay here again. The place is adequate, but only just.

It's a lot of small things put together that mean that I won't stay here again.

The cleaner broke the lid of my conditioner. It was in the bathroom, had quite clearly been knocked onto the floor and the lid all smashed. It now means I have to leave it as it would leak in my luggage without a lid that closes properly.

Last night there were people knocking on doors and then laughing late at night. I know that these were guests, not staff, but it reflects on the hotel.

The most annoying thing was the fan in bathroom that doesn't switch off - when I asked the receptionist about it, all she said was that she thought that was normal. There was a constant hum in the room from it, which was rather loud in the middle of the night - enough to keep me awake. So in the three days I have been here I have not had a proper nights sleep.

Breakfast was no more than adequate and the variety decreased daily. On the last day, it had decreased to no pastries or fruit, there were chips in the glassware, and the orange juice machine had the juice coming out sideways resulting in getting it all over ones hands.

In addition, I am a gold member of their GHA program - I received the bottle of water on check-in that this entitles me to, but no sign of my free newspaper on any day. I can only assume that they think because I spoke English at reception that I don't speak Norwegian. Well, I don't speak Norwegian very well, but I can read it.

There is free internet - but this is standard for any hotel these days. The TV was big, but had no inbuilt tv guide and the time set on it was wrong so it couldn't be used as a clock. So, overall, the position is great, but all those little annoying things lead me to suggest to try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with ThonHotels.no

2 Thank Jane-Anne D
Solveig H, General Manager at Thon Hotel Bristol Bergen, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Dear Customer of Thon Hotel Bristol Bergen,
Thank you for giving us your much appreciated feedback.
We do have the perfect location in Bergen, and I am glad you found our rates competitive.
I am sorry you were disturbed by other guests.We would have been happy to ask them to be more considerate. If any of our employees has damaged your belongings we would have been happy to replace it. The fans in our bathrooms are centrally controlled, and unfortunately not individually adjustable. The free newspapers are not delivered to the rooms, but given at the front desk. Any GHA member are more than welcome to their free newspaper. But of course we often get a no thanks from non norwegian speaking guests, so the question might have been forgotten. Our apologies. We are checking out new more modern TV systems. Theese robably will be replaced in 2015. Our TV's were new in June. We try hard to get the ittle details right for everyone, and your feedback is excellent help. Thanks again.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2014

Good location in the centre of Bergen. Room small with large TV at the end of the bed. No air conditioning so wanted to sleep with the window open big mistake the smell was disgusting from the restaurant below. The rubbish in the courtyard was unsightly & out side the window the wall had peeling paint. We complained to the staff but it was unlikely a move was possible because the hotel was full. There wasn't even a fan to use to cool the room down. Just because we were with a coach party doesn't mean we can be treated as second class citizens. Others complained and were moved to better rooms, others remain unsatisfied. If ever going again would ask to see the room first. There are at least 5 unsatisfactory rooms. The window frames were in need of repair. Don't stay in room 313.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank s-team09
Jill69, Manager at Thon Hotel Bristol Bergen, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Thon Hotel Bristol Bergen. We do have an excellent location in the centre of Bergen. We also got new 42" TV's in all rooms this June. Glad you noticed :-)
Nest on our budget is new windows in all 138 rooms this coming fall. It was an exctremely nice and warm summer and we have resupplied our rooms with table fans. We do try to treat all customers the same ,and also change from the few smaller rooms to bigger if this is possible.
Thank you again for sharing your experience with us.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 7, 2014

Great hotel, location was perfect. 5 mins walk from the train station, fish market/waterfront & funicular.
Room was fantastic, clean and modern with a huge tv. Wifi was excellant. Staff were very helpful. Breakfast was great, a huge selection.
There are noisy musicians outside in the main street until late that have nothing to do with the hotel, but I wore ear plugs and didn't hear a thing.
I would highly recommend, I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with ThonHotels.no

2 Thank WeazyB
Cuttack
Reviewed August 6, 2014

Thon Hotel, Bristol, Bergen, Norway
(Tel: 47 55 551000)
An excellent hotel, located at city centre and within walking distance for the fish market which offers an excellent variety of sea foods (both raw & cooked).
All facilities and amenities are provided except no A/C in the rooms but a fan is given upon request.
No tea/coffee service in room but a free breakfast with excellent hot/cold food layout is given.
The service is excellent with an alert and attentive staff.
Rooms are of good size, clean, decent & comfortable with free wi-fi & TV and good bathrooms.
Several tourist attractions are located nearby within walking distance including the funicular train to the hilltop for a magnificent view of the fjords & the city.
Overall, a very comfortable and enjoyable stay in the city.

Room Tip: A wonderful place to stay and enjoy the city of Bergen. Walking distance to all major attractions...