“Central, but guests are not garanteed a good nights sleep..”

Scandic Bergen City
Ranked #39 of 49 Hotels in Bergen
Skudeneshavn, Norway
“Central, but guests are not garanteed a good nights sleep..”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Very good Hotel, central in Bergen. But there was some Party in the Hotel with loud music and many drunken people. I expect that the Hotel Security take care of such things. As a klimax the fire alarm was put on without serious reason...
So when you HAVE to be awake early next morning: Chose an other hotel ..

Room Tip: Long away from party rooms. There was a band playing on a high level and then big parts of the Hotel...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
biriv, Marketing Manager at Scandic Bergen City, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Thank you for your review! We are sorry to hear that you experienced noise during your stay with us. We recommend contacting our staff in situations like this, so that they can find a solution to the problem.

We do understand that false fire alarms can be annoying, especially during night time, however we do take our guests safety very seriously and do treat all alarms like they are real until confirmed otherwise.

We are glad that you thought our hotel was good and liked our central location.

Scandic Bergen City

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed March 18, 2012

I stayed in this hotel from one night in March 2012.

On arrival at the hotel I was greeted by a friendly receptionist who had me checked in in under 1 minute - no need to provide a credit card for security or details of my home address or my ID. Rare these days!

I had one of the rooms rooms in the newer building across the road from the original hotel it was a room that had not been refurbed like some of the others in the other annex block. All the same it was clean and comfortable all the same. It have a TV (CRT not LCD) that had an ample number of channels in various languages, Mini-bar, tea & coffee making facilities, iron & board, shower and bath, one sink and a toilet.

The bed was comfortable and there was ample bedding and a choice of pillows.

There is free WiFi in this hotel I was even able to access it from my room on the third floor, no sign in required just select the network on your device and start browsing immediately. Great most hotel require a labourious sign in and even payment process these days.

Shower was great good pressure and clean came on hot instantly.

Breakfast was included. It was a buffet style breakfast with the usual cereals, fruit, cooked foods, juice, tea and coffee and the normal Norwegian fishy things. It was all of standard quality and the scrambled eggs were the best I've had in a while!

All in all a good hotel that cost £112 B&B for one night via expedia.

the only down side for the towels in the bathroom. They were really thin and not big enough for anyone taller that 5ft in height.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newly refubished rooms
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Mark B
biriv, Marketing Manager at Scandic Bergen City, responded to this review, March 19, 2012
Thank you very much for your positive and detailed review after having stayed at our hotel. In particular we are glad that you found our staff friendly and the room comfortable. I do agree that that some of our rooms are in need of renovation, luckily this is scheduled and will start in 2013. Step by step, all of our rooms will be refurbished.

In regards to the towels, they are standard amongst the hotels here in Bergen, but if you find them too small, please tell us, and we will provide you with extra towels next time.

We hope to see you again at Scandic Bergen City in the near future!

Marketing Manager
Stavanger
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for three nights a weekend in February. Although the service is fine and the location is excellent, it does not make up for the fact that the rooms are quite terrible. I do believe some rooms in this hotel have been renovated, and some have not. I stayed on floor 7 in the main builing (one the cinema side of the street) and this room was way old and worn. The tiles were coming off the floor and walls in the bathroom and it was freezing cold, both in the room and especially in the bathroom. The major drawback however was that you had to keep the water running for 5 mins before it got warm enough to take a shower - that is not great for a hotel claiming to be environmentally friendly!

Breakfast is good, though.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking your time to write this review. We are sorry to hear that you weren’t happy with the standard of your hotel room. We are aware of the fact that some of our hotel rooms are in need of renovation. Luckily this is scheduled and will start in 2013.

With regards to the water, we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. This matter has been forwarded to our maintenance department.

We are very glad that you enjoyed our central location and that you thought our breakfast was good.

We hope to see you again at Scandic Bergen City!
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed February 19, 2012

This hotel is within walking distance of all the major attractions. The rooms are actually located in three different buildings next to each other. Breakfast is served in the main building.

When in Bergen you must go with the cable car to the top of Mt. Floyen. The view is simply spectacular. Over the weekends stalls are set-up close to the harbour area where you can buy salmon and other local fish products. We did not like the fried fish but the salmon was very good.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BebeSA
Thank you for your review! We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found our location convenient.

When visiting the Fish Market next time, we recommend trying the freshly boiled shrimps, very delicious!

Welcome back to Scandic Bergen City!

Marketing Manager
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2012

The location of the Scandic certainly fit the bill with everything in easy walking distance and the airport bus stopping just around the corner. However, the hotel is not obviously branded unless you are across in Bryggen and can see the flag flying on the top of the hotel. They could really do with a sign on their doors, or just above as I did walk past the hotel at first.

On entry I was met with a pleasant smile, but then ignored as the receptionist was clearly showing the new girl how to check people in. I just stood and waited while everything was explained to the new girl. I was then just handed the card and told my room number and sent on my way.

Beyond reception the public areas are very tired looking and in much need of redecoration, and once in the room it was the same story. However, the saving grace is that the bed linen was very crisp and clean. If it hadn't been for the bed linen you'd be forgiven for thinking that the place was rather dirty. The room was fairly small, but then, I don't stay in hotels to spend all day in a room. My room was also rather dull as I looked down into the backs of buildings in a square, although I believe that this was a good thing as there was building work going on to the front of the building so I was probably more sheltered from the noise.

One of the key things I look for in a hotel when away on business is free internet access. I logged onto my computer and onto the wifi, but the signal strength was very low. I did manage to connect, but the internet was slow and often cut out making working rather difficult. I'm not sure if this was due to me being located on the 5th floor, maybe lower floors have better internet access.

If I was just on a sight seeing visit to Bergen I'd probably have not minded the hotel too much despite all of the above, but for a business trip it wasn't great.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Norway
Reviewed February 10, 2012

Stayed for one night in February. Got room in a building across the street from the hotel. The rooms really need refurbishment. Smell of mould in the bathroom. Not too delicious. Got no information about breakfast or any other services when I checked inn

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed December 10, 2011

Norway is expensive, European hotel rooms are small, but this hotel had no charm and super small bathrooms. The beds were comfortable, but I think you can do better, even in Bergen, for the quite high price we paid.

Room Tip: Ask for a double if you booked a single, HUGE difference in size
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business