“Warm welcome in Bergen”

To Sostre Guesthouse
Ranked #2 of 19 Bergen B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed at the Sostre Guesthouse for two nights and had the most amazing time. We received a very warm welcome from one of the lovely sisters and her husband, despite our very late arrival past midnight, stayed in a spotless and very tastefully decorated room close to all the main attractions of old Bergen town and were served a delicious breakfast in the morning (think fresh bread, smoked salmon, creamy eggs, muesli, yoghurts, fruits..the lot). Both sister are very friendly, speak perfect english and are ready to go out of their way to make your stay extra special - they were able to cater for special dietary needs, recommend amazing restaurants and were even so nice as to order a little birthday cake for us. We were staying outside of the main season and had the house to ourselves - I would definitely go back!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jana V

Reviewed April 9, 2013

My husband and I have just spent two nights in this delightful guesthouse (B and B). We were well looked after by a very friendly and extremely helpful host and had a very comfortable bed in a traditionally styled room. We had fabulous Norwegian breakfasts, - fresh fruit, muesli, yoghurt, bread, cheese, ham, smoked salmon, jam, fresh bread, etc. with either tea or coffee and fruit juice and there was plenty of everything.
I would certainly recommend this guesthouse to anyone. It was also very near the old part of Bergen and near all the interesting attractions, so it was convenient as well for walking around. The airport bus stops nearby. Perfect for anyone without a car! We loved it.
The room we had (The Blue Room) shared a bathroom with another room but no-one else was there when we were, so that was fine. The shower was a proper shower with plenty of hot water and underfloor heating which was very welcome. We also had the use of a sitting room with a TV and there were guide books about Bergen and the surrounding area. We could have used the kitchen as well - I asked. All the rooms were well heated. There was another room on our floor and then a loft apartment above this floor, with its own bathroom. The stairs are quite steep so not a place for anyone who struggles with walking. Parking might be difficult because the guesthouse is on a narrow cobbled street but your could ask about this.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2013

This cozy old house is sentered a bit off the main busy streets of Bergen, but it's still only a few minutes walk to main attractions as Bryggen and Floyen. We met one of the wonderful sisters, Renate, and she made our stay absolutely wonderful. And the breaky is so tasty! Jum! Freshly baked bread and eggs, and all kinds of good, healthy choices as well.
We stayed for only one night, and the house had a family staying as well. It was quiet and pleasant,and it's close to markets and a couple of nice places to eat or have a drink (Bastant cafe serves up excellent soups). I would recommend for couples and families in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Flaatten79
Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

I risk repeating many of the previous comments in this review, but having reread a few, they are 100% accurate. I arrived on a late afternoon flight into Bergen, and took the airport bus to the last stop which is Bryggen (current price 100 nok)
The guesthouse was easy to find, even in the dark and drizzle, although I walked past it before I checked the house number. Yvonne was looking out of the window for my arrival and was very welcoming.
I stayed in the blue room for 3 nights, and had the entire place to myself for 2 of those nights after the only other guest left.

The things I loved

The house is beautifully decorated and is extremely cosy. The photos are accurate, and the rooms are as fresh and spotless as they appear. The sisters clearly have great taste, and I found myself admiring a lamp here, some door knobs there etc.
The bed was very comfortable, and then linens were very nice. Towels and bathrobe were crisp white, and the whole place was spotless. As a clean freak, I pick up on these things :-) I walked around barefoot and can attest that the wooden floors were probably some of the cleanest I've seen!
Breakfast was delicious with muesli, fruit, yoghurt, followed by bread, cheeses, cold meat and smoked salmon, and jams. Plenty of good coffee, juice etc, plus a Espresso machine for the extra caffeine hit if needed.
Yvonne was an excellent host - happy to chat and answer any questions I had, which was nice as a single traveler, but also unobtrusive, attending to things in the kitchen to give me plenty of time to eat.

The practical things

The room was spacious and there were places to hang clothes and place luggage.
All rooms are lockable, and have easily opened windows for fresh air. The blue room had both blinds and curtains although these were both light in colour so in summer it may be light in the room early in the morning. In February this wasn't an issue!
The stairs are fairly steep but not a problem, although I'd not like to carry a huge case up!
The kitchen has all the necessary bits and pieces to make a meal -I ate in most of the time, and cooked basic dishes.
There are 2 small supermarkets within a stone's throw of the guesthouse. These had a limited selection,but everything I needed.
Bergen has lots of cobbled streets including the one where the guesthouse is located, so it can be a bit of a pain dragging a case on wheels. That is a city-wide thing though, not unique to To Sostre :-)

What would I change?

Ummmm nothing to be honest. The guesthouse was a home away from home, and I loved having the place to myself. I would imagine that if it is at full capacity it could be quite 'busy' and light sleepers might be disturbed with others moving around on wooden stairs and floors, but I found it to be a relaxing and peaceful place to spend a few days.

This is how all guesthouses should be in my opinion - thank you To Sostre for a lovey stay!

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank claire_fowler
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Just completed our fourth stay at "To Sostre". If you're not into tedious big-chain hotels, want to stay in a great part of Bergen, yet would like to feel at home, then this is the place for you. We'll be be back!

I won't repeat my initial TripAdvisor review of July 2011 but all previous comments still hold good: http://tinyurl.com/bhu7w7j.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I don't think I really need to add another "me too" review to all of the others but I will.

We had the loft room for 4 nights. The entire house is decorated beautifully in a traditional yet stylish and uncluttered typically Nordic style. The room itself was huge, airy, well lit with a big en suite bathroom and fabulous terrace. There were views of the mountains from at least two sides of the room. I'm a big stickler for cleanliness and To Soestre is SPOTLESS. Huge comfy double bed and I can't remember the last time I've slept so soundly.

Yvonne our host was lovely and had just the right balance of attentiveness without being too intrusive. Her breakfast was incredible. Great coffee, fresh bread, cheese, salmon, muesli, etc etc. Felt like a guest in her house but with total freedom. There was also a fully stocked kitchen to use if needed. Free wifi too and tea/coffee in the rooms.

The location a few streets parallel to Bryggen is perfect. A quiet friendly neighbourhood, not at all touristy with some great restaurants and a cool bar up the road. Close to all the sights and well placed for a hike up Floyen.

This isn't a Radisson and if that's the kind of place you want then this isn't for you. But this is a perfect, cosy, incredibly well finished and appointed house which would be a great place to live.

Will definitely come back and cannot speak highly enough of it. PERFECTION.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank worthyness
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I recently stayed here for two nights in the Blue Room. The bed was really comfortable and warm and to me, the room felt vintage in style. The bathroom is also lovely but outside of the room and I think shared with at least 1 other room. The shower was hot and powerful. There is a nice lounge and dining area. There was Nespresso available and also chocolate nuts in the bedroom. It was these nice touches that made the stay lovely. There is also a kitchen that can be used. Yvonne, the owner, was so lovely. It is in a lovely part of the old town close to the funicular and fish market. However I think it would be too far to walk from the train station. We took a taxi but this was a reasonable price. The airport bus stop is very close though.
The breakfast was also lovely - delicious bread, eggs, blueberries, raspberries, museli and yoghurt. I loved this guesthouse and I would even go back just to chill out for a few days as it's just a lovely and comfortable place to stay. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: The Blue room is the cheapest room but the one I loved the most!