“Expensive, but well worth a visit”

Restaurant Cornelius
Ranked #8 of 398 Restaurants in Bergen
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Just outside the City of Bergen, you will find one of the most exotic attractions in the whole of Western Norway's archipelago. Cornelius is one of Norway's best seafood restaurants. It is situated right by the sea on a small island with spectacular views of the fjord, mountains, skerries and passing boats and ships. Inspired by the weather of the day, Cornelius serves its famous Meteorological Menu of exquisite seafood and trimmings, prepared using innovative culinary techniques and with a genuine passion for seafood. Cornelius is open all year. On beautiful summer days, we open the sliding doors and set up tables on the pier, where we serve lighter dishes. When the weather is less favourable, we create a cosy atmosphere indoors and serve food with stronger flavours and light up the candles and the fireplace. Every season - every day - we offer unique and exciting culinary experiences on Holmen. Experience a beautiful trip among the skerries, from Bryggen wharf in the City of Bergen to Holmen at Bjoroy. Regular departures at 18.00 from Dreggekaien on Bryggen (shed no. 8) opposite Radisson Blu Royal Hotel and Clarion Collection Hotel Havnekontoret. Return from Holmen at 22.30. The boat trip takes 25 minutes. Warm, safe boats take you back and forth in comfort, - regardless of the weather. Please contact us if you want to charter a private boat. During the summer months we have regular departures for lunch Thursday, Friday and Saturdays.
Reviewed June 25, 2013

This day I heard a lot of good stories, ate a lot of new and good food, and was served some excellent wines. What else can I ask for..

Located far out in the "fjords", this restaurant is as much of an experience in life as a good meal. We took the "company tour" which included a boat trip out (no other way that I know of). On arrival we were told the story behind the place, and were served fresh seafood picked from the bottom of the ocean right outside the restaurant.

I very rarely order anything but beef when I eat at a restaurant, but this time I went for some local sea delicacies. I'll do that again the next time I'm there. The food was great (though I prefer meat), the surroundings great and the people working there were great. All in all well spent time and money.

If you've got some money to burn and you're in Bergen I'd strongly recommend visiting.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

We were ferried to this tiny island off of a small island near Bergen. The ferry ride is beautiful and relatively fast. We all took in the scenery then had some welcome bubbly drinks before taking our tables. The restaurant grows its own herbs and keeps some live sea animals caught off the island in their holding tanks for the ultimate fresh taste. We were told about the history of the island by the charming and witty owner while enjoying some fantastic house-smoked salmon and trying fresh raw escalopes including the roe sac which is very mild and sweet and some Scotch oysters. The meals included a freshly caught escalope seared with butter along with some vegetables. The main dish was a typical and very delicious Norwegian Summer white fish (I forgot the name) freshly caught in a zesty cream sauce. The desert was a rhubarb and strawberry cold soup with a berry sorbet. The wine cellar holds a good variety of wines too. Finally, the servers were all excellent and very international (spoke very fluent English). I would highly recommend trying this restaurant if your pockets would allow. Of course, booking before hand is a must to catch the ferry in time.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

Arriving by boat, all the restaurant staff outside to welcome clients with a smile. Super fresh Oysters and scallops where served immediately. Then inside after a quick explanation of what will be served, we could taste a sensational fish soup followed by other tasteful specialities. Besides the view is amazing, the staff super nice. I loved it!

1  Thank Teresa110
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Loved the place, the interior and the exterior,
Loved what we had for drinks , the wines and the wine cellar.
Loved the food
The Swedish waiter was wonderful, polite, efficient.
The view is spectacular as well.
Highly recommended.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

This was my first visit to this incredible place, carved into the rocky sides of an island around 15 minutes by boat from Bergen. It is almost like the setting from a Bond Movie, exclusive and alluring, a mysterious location that seems to promise either a wonderful meal, or possible kidnap!

Thankfully the focus is on food, something the owner, chef and sommelier will talk to you at length about, not in an oppressive and dull way but with a gift for humour that would grant them a TV series in the UK. Alf, the Crocodile Dundee owner will regale you with tales of diving for Scallops in between explaining the benefits to the libido.

Later on the Swedish sommelier joined in with a full run down of how the place really came together in spite of some bad luck, with loads of humour.

The food, well, the focus is on seafood, locally caught and sourced, much of it dived for by the owning team. There are tanks all over the place filled with Lobster, Scallops and oysters all kept in perfect conditions to give you, the customer, maximum taste and enjoyment. And my goodness, what quality, it is utterly superb and must rank amongst the best I have ever enjoyed.

Of course, good food can become great food with the right wines and this is where the sommelier does his thing, the cellar is extensive but filled with personal choices, exclusive wines found in out of the norm places and the effect is astounding. Rielsing is not normally a favourite of mine, but their choice was just perfect.

I can honestly say that in terms of dining experience, this ranks amongst the best I have ever enjoyed. If it was in Central London or Paris, it would be booked up for years in advance, it really is that good.

The price is perfectly acceptable for this kind of experience. I'd say it suits conference, incentive and just about any group and would work a treat for a romantic evening with a twist. Certainly, as Alf will tell you, the effects of that seafood will kick in just about the time you leave the return boat. A good night therefore, need not end when you leave...

Wonderful.