“VIEWS!!!! VIEWS!!!! VIEWS!!!! and more VIEWS!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hiking in Bymarka

Hiking in Bymarka
Ranked #10 of 100 things to do in Trondheim
Weesp
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“VIEWS!!!! VIEWS!!!! VIEWS!!!! and more VIEWS!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

Easy to follow paths which are nicely maintained. 'Catch your breathe seats' along the way after loosing it to the 'Breathe taking views' !!!

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Stefnell

• Polish first
Stockport, United Kingdom
87 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 343 helpful votes
“Fantastic hiking within easy reach of the city centre”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

Hiking in Bymarka is definitely something that you should do if you are in Trondheim and have some time and fancy experiencing some peaceful and beautiful nature. And the best thing about it is that it is absolutely free!

There are tracks all over the forest that vary in difficulty from very easy to quite hard. A personal favourite is a walk along Strandlinja (strand line). As it follows a pre-historic sea level it is a fairly easy walk as the track is fairly well made and also is quite level. This makes it almost perfect for a causal stroll with young children. It is also quite well suited for cycling. And should you fancy something a little bit more challenging there are tracks leading up into the hills around the centre of the forest.

During our visit to Trondheim in September 2013 we were lucky enough to have fine weather and we managed to fit in a walk along Strandlinja and up to Vattakammen, a walk around Elsterparken, a visit to Baklidammen and short visit to Skistua.

Visited September 2013
5 Thank TheEagleGuy
Hamar, Norway
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Beautiful nature with small lakes, mountains an sometimes view of the sea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

I recommend a trip here to everyone who appriciates a hike. The lake Baklidammen is beautiful, by Lianvatnet there is a restaurant that is open on Sundays for dinner. You can take a swim in most of the lakes.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank aob77
Detroit, Michigan
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Beautiful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

If you like to hike this is so beautiful! Different trials and so nice to when we traveled in October. Colors were changing, just fabulous. We had the trails to ourselves, so peaceful!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank RonKel21
Young Harris, Georgia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Hiking in Bymarka, Trondheim, Norway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

Cruise ships dock conveniently within walking distance of this pretty town. I disembarked as soon as possible and got to the Tourist Information office in town before any lines had formed. I was lucky to speak with an enthusiastic young lady who was an avid hiker. She advised me to get Bus 18 from town and to get off at a residential bus stop before the main bus stop for Bymarka, all I can remember is there are signs there pointing uphill for "Golfbana". I walked straight uphill from the stop and soon saw the trail signs and serendipitously chose to turn right and keep bearing left on the trails. The trails were rough and muddy and it was quite a awhile before I encountered a lady hiking with her daughter and asked for the trail to the highest point. Happily I had been going in the right direction! The trail name was something like "Geisstollen" although that is probably not exact. Well it was grand to arrive at the high point with a panorama of Trondheim and the fjord, a huge view. There are over 200 km of trails in the area and I was obviously in a remote section so I decided to follow my nose and head generally to the center of Bymarka. I chose more traveled and groomed trails, having a map would not have been much benefit as the big posted maps you pass look like a spaghetti bowl has been turned upside down. I passed through a peaceful farm with a great wooden troll by the gate and sheep all around, very pastoral. My nose led me well as I came to more popular areas with pretty lakes and more people. The trails are multipurpose: hiking, cross country skiing, biking and horseback riding. I was disappointed that I saw no moose. I hiked for about three hours and decided to let my nose take me to a bus stop. I just followed people who seemed to know where they were going and walked right out to a bus stop and there was the #18 bus waiting for me! By the way, the fare was NOK40 each way. I enjoyed getting into nature and seeing the local folks aglow with health and vitality making the most of a nice summer day. I had plenty of time to walk around the city visiting the cathedral and the old town also the outdoor summer market. I was back in plenty of time to board the ship for departure.

Visited June 2013